NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

If he was signed and traded I still would have to downgrade him on the season.  The Pitts offense is perfectly suited for him.  He could end up somewhere else that gives him a fat paycheque but the team could suck and worse, have a QB that sucks and a bad O-line.

Just to remind people here, this is what the Steelers offered back in July:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Steelers offered Le'Veon Bell a five-year, $70 million contract prior to Monday's 4 PM ET deadline.

Per RapSheet, the offer contained more than $30 million over the first two years, but Bell has opted to instead play on the $14.544 million tag for the second straight year before hitting free agency at 27 years old next March. The $14 million average on the Steelers' offer would easily make Bell the league's highest-paid back, an honor held at the moment by Devonta Freeman at $8.25 million per year. It's hard to see Bell doing better than this next offseason, but we'll see.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would be a total boss move is if Bell reports after week 10 to play his 6 games and get an accrued season and make a little bit of cash and then decides to holdout again in the playoffs (players don't get team paychecks in playoffs, just a nominal amount from the NFL).

Just now, AngryBeavers said:

I dont think the Steelers can trade him without having him under contract. they can waive him and get a 3rd RD compensatory I believe. 

They can work out a sign and trade deal (or I guess a deal and sign trade).

Just now, AngryBeavers said:

I dont think the Steelers can trade him without having him under contract. they can waive him and get a 3rd RD compensatory I believe. 

I was referencing a sign and trade.  I do believe that is an option if it comes down to it.

But the Steelers don't really have any urgency to move on this as Connor will do fine this weekend and the Steelers will win.

1 minute ago, Saucy said:

If the only thing standing between me and four 325lb professional athletes paid to fall on me was my offensive lineman, the very last thing I'd want to do is piss them off.

Yes that would be be very good for everyone involved

45 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

People keep saying this but when Emmith Smith held out two games and the cowboys started 0-2 I recall him getting a Payday out of it...

Maybe the rules have changed, maybe I'm not remembering the situation correctly.  It just seems like people are taking in this thread like they understand NFL contract rules when they really don't know anything about them.

That is a critical point.  When Emmitt Smith did that, Smith was under contract.  But Emmitt wanted more money.  Emmitt was not franchised back during that issue.  So the dynamics were completely different.  The Steelers cannot do, by rule, what the Cowboys could and did do back then.

Just now, simanium said:

What would be a total boss move is if Bell reports after week 10 to play his 6 games and get an accrued season and make a little bit of cash and then decides to holdout again in the playoffs (players don't get team paychecks in playoffs, just a nominal amount from the NFL).

if he did something like that, he would be jeopardizing his next contract, because he'll be painted as a malcontent.  you think another locker room is going to want a guy like that? he would be killing his career if he pulled a stunt like that

This is all much to do about nothing. I think Bell will report soon, well before week 10, and he'll still be a stud the majority of the season.

Conner seems like a fine player, but he's not Lev Bell. Unless Conner has a huge Week 1, the pressure is going to be on the Steelers to get Bell into camp.

Just now, Wize1 said:

This is all much to do about nothing. I think Bell will report soon, well before week 10, and he'll still be a stud the majority of the season.

Conner seems like a fine player, but he's not Lev Bell. Unless Conner has a huge Week 1, the pressure is going to be on the Steelers to get Bell into camp.

Pitts is going to feeeeeeed Connor.  FEEEED him.

2 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

Ignorance is bliss.

2 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

I don't think you understand the severity of how this all works, there's no bouncing back from this 

3 minutes ago, Wize1 said:

when your entire o-line publicly calls you out then I respectfully disagree

2 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I don't think you understand the severity of how this all works, there's no bouncing back from this 

Steelers should pay him then.  He wants security give it to him or move on.  I don't blame Bell one bit for taking care of him. He's earned it. 

8 minutes ago, Nucker101 said:

when your entire o-line publicly calls you out then I respectfully disagree

It's a bad look for the offensive line. Most players don't get involved in fellow teammates' contract business. That goes for pretty much all sports. Guys hold out all the time and it's really nobody's business but their own.

Emmitt Smith held out for 2 months, came back and the Cowboys won a Super Bowl.

So yeah, let's not be reactionary and make this into more than it is.

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

What have the Steelers done wrong and who in the public is bashing them for using the franchise tag on a RB when everyone knows RBs have short shelf lives. Most experts seem to think the Steelers are handling this right.

If another team would pay Leveon Bell more (fair market value) than what the Steelers are offering, then the Steelers lowballing their star player and holding him without long term guarantees via the franchise tag absolutely puts them in a bad light.

With everything we know about concussions, refusing to pay your elite talent that you hand the ball to 400 times a season is grotesque.

The owners sure as hell are making money hand over fist without risking their bodies, the players like Leveon deserve the money they've earned with their performance.

• Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived