NBC Sports Edge Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

afl5013
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Looks like Bell is more optimistic about getting a deal done before camp this year.

If he gets signed, is he the pick over Gurley?  His running style leaves him less prone to injury in my opinion.   

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go the other way and say he should be the pick over Gurley without him signing a long term deal.  IF he signs one, the Steelers might be more inclined to give him less touches and not run him into the ground like they could on the franchise tag.  

I agree with the previous poster, I don't imagine Bell will be in a Steelers uniform after this year.

1)  Bell ain't getting a deal.  The Steelers are not a dumb organization.  Only a dumb organization would devote that many dollars to the RB position long term.  One year at $14 million is all right if they think this is their window to win the Super Bowl.

2)  Absent a deal, Bell is going to miss all of camp again.  With a new OC going in (same system at least) that's not ideal.

3)  How many career touches does this guy have?  Is he really going to be a Walter Payton type?  I don't really see it.  I think there will be one or maybe two years left of elite production from Bell.

I am going to give him a skip this year.

Only superhuman players can handle his touch rate and stay healthy.    I'm betting against it this year.   He's still in my top 5 of course, i'm not crazy, but he's a hard pass at his expected auction price, and i'll only take him in redraft if Gurley, Zeke, DJ, and Brown are all off the board already.    

Whomever threw out the idea of his touch rate potentially declining if he signs long-term, that's a valid concern I think.   I too wondered if they just planned to overwork him, then cast him aside with less tread on the tires.  If that changes, maybe 400 touches is a thing of the past.  His efficiency wasn't greatest last year, so a decent dip in touches can really harm his overall value.   

I still think they'd sign him long term if he wasn't demanding the moon.  i'm not saying he's right or wrong to do that, but I think they'd make him the highest paid RB, long term, if he capitulated a bit. 

Bell optimistic a deal gets done before camp:  

"Obviously, the people in the organization try to do what's best for them and I'm trying to do what's best for me," Bell added. "We're working on it. We're a lot closer than we were last year at this time. That's what I'm happy about. None of that matters if we don't get it done. Hopefully we'll be able to get something done. That's what I'm looking forward to. I got confidence we'll get it done. I want to do it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/leveon-bell-optimistic-about-a-deal-with-the-steelers/amp/

59 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Bell optimistic a deal gets done before camp:  

"Obviously, the people in the organization try to do what's best for them and I'm trying to do what's best for me," Bell added. "We're working on it. We're a lot closer than we were last year at this time. That's what I'm happy about. None of that matters if we don't get it done. Hopefully we'll be able to get something done. That's what I'm looking forward to. I got confidence we'll get it done. I want to do it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/leveon-bell-optimistic-about-a-deal-with-the-steelers/amp/

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Any "long term" deal is likely going to have an escape clause for the team built in, I am guessing after the 2019 season.  If they can get Bell to fall for a Richard Sherman to the 49ers type deal, that's a definite win for the Steelers.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Any "long term" deal is likely going to have an escape clause for the team built in, I am guessing after the 2019 season.  If they can get Bell to fall for a Richard Sherman to the 49ers type deal, that's a definite win for the Steelers.

The Sherman deal was great for him. Don't believe the negative media hype just because he didn't have an agent. 

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The Sherman deal was great for him. Don't believe the negative media hype just because he didn't have an agent. 

If Sherman plays like an All Pro.  That's a fairly big "if."

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If Sherman plays like an All Pro.  That's a fairly big "if."

No, if he starts the season it's already a great deal for him; most of his guarantees kick in. 

The hate for his contract is because he negotiated without an agent, something the media wants to discourage as much as possible, so they bash it publicly. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

No, if he starts the season it's already a great deal for him; most of his guarantees kick in. 

The hate for his contract is because he negotiated without an agent, something the media wants to discourage as much as possible, so they bash it publicly. 

The NFLPA decided to step in and make some adjustments to the Sherman contract after it was already signed.  How often does that happen?  Not the sign of a great contract.  I am a big Richard Sherman guy, love the player and I love his personality.  But I think Sherman was being a little too smart for his own good.

5 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The NFLPA decided to step in and make some adjustments to the Sherman contract after it was already signed.  How often does that happen?  Not the sign of a great contract.  I am a big Richard Sherman guy, love the player and I love his personality.  But I think Sherman was being a little too smart for his own good.

The only thing they did was make sure his $2 million could be guaranteed if he fails a physical in training camp -- which he is very likely to pass anyway. 

Not worthy of any agent fees.

33 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The only thing they did was make sure his $2 million could be guaranteed if he fails a physical in training camp -- which he is very likely to pass anyway. 

Not worthy of any agent fees.

That's actually a pretty big deal and a huge miss by Sherman.

But I see you might be one of those guys who would sell a valuable house without a realtor, or maybe represent yourself in a serious criminal case without hiring an attorney.

Hey, if that's the way you want to live your life, more power to you.  There's a chance it might work out.  In the NFL, it rarely does.  The book is not yet closed on the Sherman contract.  Usually when NFL players try to rep themselves or go with an inexperienced family friend as an agent, they get screwed over pretty royally. 

The saying that fits here is:

"Penny wise and pound foolish."

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

That's actually a pretty big deal and a huge miss by Sherman.

But I see you might be one of those guys who would sell a valuable house without a realtor, or maybe represent yourself in a serious criminal case without hiring an attorney.

Hey, if that's the way you want to live your life, more power to you.  There's a chance it might work out.  In the NFL, it rarely does.  The book is not yet closed on the Sherman contract.  Usually when NFL players try to rep themselves or go with an inexperienced family friend as an agent, they get screwed over pretty royally. 

The saying that fits here is:

"Penny wise and pound foolish."

Not a big deal. He's well on track to pass the physical. The NFLPA intervened to make themselves and their agents look good. The agenda is pretty obvious. 

If they had actually increased his guarantees rather than shifting the deadline from July to November, then it would be more than the PR stunt that it was.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

I think it's possible Le'Veon Bell leaked that he'll sit out the first half of the year in order to try and get a long term deal done

DT and Dez did this 3 years ago when holding their teams hostage for new contracts. SOP.

10 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

I think it's possible Le'Veon Bell leaked that he'll sit out the first half of the year in order to try and get a long term deal done

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

DT and Dez did this 3 years ago when holding their teams hostage for new contracts. SOP.

the Stillers organization is notorious for not blinking - it will not end well for #26 if this is the course he's charting. 

Just now, Panthers8912 said:

Lmao this is why I had bell ranked last of the big 4. Rip to anyone who already drafted this guy. Gonna be sitting out the rest of his career wondering why no wants to pay him 20m a year 

Oof...

BLAZING HOT TAKES!!!!   Lol

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Oof...

BLAZING HOT TAKES!!!!   Lol

Lol obviously a hyperbole, but I do have bell ranked last of the big 4 bc I don’t want to deal with this sit out nonsense. Seems like best case scenario rn is he sits out TC again and starts of the season rusty like he did last year. 

48 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Lol obviously a hyperbole, but I do have bell ranked last of the big 4 bc I don’t want to deal with this sit out nonsense. Seems like best case scenario rn is he sits out TC again and starts of the season rusty like he did last year. 

It’s fair and you are as clever as always.   I can’t disagree with this holdout approaching 

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

the Stillers organization is notorious for not blinking - it will not end well for #26 if this is the course he's charting. 

When do we kickstart the James Conner thread?

And how far behind is the Jaylen Samuels thread? 

Can never have too much banter...

I imagine the nonsensical are reviving the Stevan Ridley / Fitzgerald Toussaint talks as I type this.

7 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I imagine the nonsensical are reviving the Stevan Ridley / Fitzgerald Toussaint talks as I type this.

Jarvion Franklin?

18 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Nah bro

Fitz Touissant lining up a monster year!  :lol:

• Sun Tzu changed the title to Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook
  • Sun Tzu locked and unlocked this topic
  • Sun Tzu locked this topic
  • Sun Tzu unlocked this topic

Archived