NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed - however my experience is the owners who view all their players as trade-able for the right price (such as myself) aren't going to bother doing a trade block post. You have to dig deeper in in

How is the Fantrax app listed? I cannot find it in the app store on my iphone. I just put in "Fantrax" and it does not show.    @glworld My favorite platform is Yahoo, but they're no better

Yahoo: Current owners of Brendan McKay (Batter) in Yahoo leagues: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Commissioners of Yahoo leagues who now have to deal with the ensuing bickering about who gets Brendan

Posted Images

this is confusing to me related to the 2 games in Japan.

is this just for weekly scoring, or daily roto leagues?

in a roto league that drafts after these games have already been played, someone could draft players from these teams, and still have the stats from these games count? how is that possible? for example lets say there is a player that in a standard league would go undrafted, and in these 2 games they go off with like 2 HR or 2 SB or whatever. one could draft that player and have those stats count? that seems like a flaw. one could draft that player (or players) and get those statistics, but then either not have them in their regular lineup, or drop them completely before other teams start their regular season games, AND still have those numbers for their team. if that is true then that is something that could be exploited. drafting after these games and before March 28, at the end of the draft just draft whatever players had good numbers and you're laughing.

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

in a roto league that drafts after these games have already been played, someone could draft players from these teams, and still have the stats from these games count? how is that possible? for example lets say there is a player that in a standard league would go undrafted, and in these 2 games they go off with like 2 HR or 2 SB or whatever. one could draft that player and have those stats count? that seems like a flaw. one could draft that player (or players) and get those statistics, but then either not have them in their regular lineup, or drop them completely before other teams start their regular season games, AND still have those numbers for their team. if that is true then that is something that could be exploited. drafting after these games and before March 28, at the end of the draft just draft whatever players had good numbers and you're laughing.

You have to be a lawyer to get through Yahoo's stuff.  This was Yahoo's statement from a couple of weeks back:

With the A's-Mariners opening in Japan, here's how scoring will work:

If you draft before March 20, Week 1 scoring will start March 20.

If you draft March 20-27, Week 1 scoring will start March 28.

If you draft on or soon after March 28, scoring will start in Week 2, April 8.

My guess is week one ends on Sunday, April 7th no matter what of the Japan games or not options above you take.  But they could have worded it clearer.  But there is no statement in this quote about retro stats or whatever that guy was tweeting about.  Just another reason I'm glad I'm not on twitter. I'd have to deal with Yahoo tweets as well as their "official announcement" stuff which  is bad enough.

The "if you draft between March 20th and March 27th" would be bad.  You just don't miss the Japan games.  You miss the early 27th Opening Day back her in the States games too.  Why can't you draft on say Friday the 22nd of March and get the stats from the 27th?  It doesn't not compute.

Maybe the same people behind splitting Ohtani into two at Yahoo are doing the stat schedule this time around, geez.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
5 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Past years if you used ESPN you had to draft those guys in your starting lineup If you draft after those games are played. One year I remember Andy Van Slyke hit 2 homeruns. I did draft him and slotted him in my starting lineup. Then I dropped him. 

Have a question on autopick strategy on ESPN. I notice that in setting the min/max for each position, ESPN has it broken down by LF/CF/RF. However, my league only uses the general OF designation. Is there any way to set it so that I get a sufficient number of OF regardless of whether they are LF, CF, or RF?

On 2/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, shakestreet said:

Past years if you used ESPN you had to draft those guys in your starting lineup If you draft after those games are played. One year I remember Andy Van Slyke hit 2 homeruns. I did draft him and slotted him in my starting lineup. Then I dropped him. 

Did you win that league Gary?

Hahahhahaha.. you took a lot of heat in the draftroom for that shrewd move. 

2 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Did you win that league Gary?

Hahahhahaha.. you took a lot of heat in the draftroom for that shrewd move. 

I probably lost... the next night in another league another one of the guys beat me too Van Slyke. lol 

Anyone else on Yahoo having your rosters loading more slowly on computers?  I keep seeing something at the bottom saying "Transferring data from yep video dot com" or something that seems to be where it is hanging up.  Once into your leagues it's loaded but the first time you load one team after some time off line it pops up and slows the load down several seconds.  Just started happening today.  Man it reminds me of how slow my teams used to load on my old 1998 desktop.

Please tell me this yep video crap isn't going to load every single time you come back daily.  I HATE video embedded into the fantasy pages anyway.  Who needs that crap.  You can find video by the ton on every baseball site or using Goggle.  It doesn't belong cluttering up a fantasy league site.

Also I misread the name as "yelp" video when it first flashed by.  I'm going to call it that from now on because it makes me yelp at Yahoo.

ESPN seems to have deleted my league's transaction history from prior years in their site update.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Our keepers are based on FAAB dollars so we're pretty much f*cked if that history is permanently deleted.  

Surely other people are noticing this...

9 hours ago, Kenny Bania said:

ESPN seems to have deleted my league's transaction history from prior years in their site update.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Our keepers are based on FAAB dollars so we're pretty much f*cked if that history is permanently deleted.  

Surely other people are noticing this...

I found this on reddit. It might help. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, shakestreet said:

I found this on reddit a week or two ago. I have no clue what all this means. Writing scripts too technical for this old man. Maybe this might help. 

• Like 1

I wish Yahoo's standard public leagues would take an update:

- There should be an option for a user to be placed in a 10, 12, or 14 team league offering different depths to their product.

- Rosters could be slightly extended. Definitely needs to add an extra DL slot or two, maybe an NA slot.

- .AVG NEEDS to go away. Terrible statistic when you have the 100x better .OBP statistic available. Just make the switch.

- Playoffs should start a little earlier, maybe by 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

- There should be an option for a user to be placed in a 10, 12, or 14 team league offering different depths to their product.

- Rosters could be slightly extended. Definitely needs to add an extra DL slot or two, maybe an NA slot.

- .AVG NEEDS to go away. Terrible statistic when you have the 100x better .OBP statistic available. Just make the switch.

They will never be that sensible.  Though I do prefer Average to OBP the other options would be better.  Anyway that is what the private leagues are for.

42 minutes ago, peelpub94 said:

How do you get the results of your mock drafts emailed to you? Somehow that's stopped this season?

I get all mine e-mailed to me. Prior to your mock draft in the 'loading mock draft' lobby, you will see a box to click to send emails to: and make sure you send them to the right email.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

I get all mine e-mailed to me. Prior to your mock draft in the 'loading mock draft' lobby, you will see a box to click to send emails to: and make sure you send them to the right email.

If anyone else is having trouble. Yahoo decided to change your default email to your yahoo username @ yahoo.com I never personally used yahoo mail before, so it was going to this address instead of my personal that I've always used on the site. There's a drop down below on the mock draft lobby.

• Thanks 1

People still use these random mocks where I seen owners don’t even show after they sign up or leave in the 3rd/4th round? 

I have found them to be so damn useless unless you fill it with people you can count on 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

I'm on board with the other stuff, but this one is totally subjective. I guess it all is, but to say BA "NEEDS to go away" just isn't true. Standard public leagues are for the casual player, and the casual player most likely wants BA. I would bet those casual, standard league players who want OBP would be in the minority. Whether it's better or not is just in the eye of the beholder...it really comes down to preference. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

it really comes down to preference. 

I disagree here. The precedent is .BA, if the precedent changes it will become .OBP quite quickly.

OBP is a far superior fantasy stat over .BA. The only argument to keep .BA over .OBP as the 'standard' is because casuals are used to it. 

That's why changing the standard is important. 

...but, I'd love to hear arguments FOR .ba that isn't 'well the casuals need it.' 

Edited by CrypTviLL
24 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I disagree here. The precedent is .BA, if the precedent changes it will become .OBP quite quickly.

OBP is a far superior fantasy stat over .BA. The only argument to keep .BA over .OBP as the 'standard' is because casuals are used to it. 

That's why changing the standard is important. 

...but, I'd love to hear arguments FOR .ba that isn't 'well the casuals need it.' 

They're all valuable stats. But you're speaking specifically of standard public leagues, the bastion of casual players. So why does there need to be an argument other than the one that says the casual player is more familiar with it and more likely to know/understand it? 

I say all the remaining statements with all due respect while being in a good mood...so I'm not trying to be rude or terse or upset anyone :). 

You like OBP. Super...so stick to leagues that use OBP. I like OBP and BA. So I play in leagues that use BA and leagues that use OBP. Maybe someone else thinks OPS is superior to both and prefers to play in an OPS league. Super...let them do it. This isn't the evaluation of a player in which posters need to be pressed for reasons behind any opinions they state about a player. Those stated opinions affect the general readership and how guys view players, draft them, trade them, etc. This is simply a personal preference, for which know one owes anyone else an explanation other than, "I like it." And it doesn't add to or detract from the inferiority or superiority of those who prefer certain stat cats, styles of play, etc. It's akin to the ridiculous argument that someone is a superior or inferior player if he plays roto/H2H/point.

Point being, I'm not going to make an argument for BA because it's a preference thing, and frankly, I don't need to make an argument for something that is pure preference. If you were to pin me down and make me choose either BA or OBP...well my decision would probably depend on the day. One day I'll prefer OBP because it takes into account all of the player's PAs. The next day, I'll prefer BA because I'm a nostalgic person who has an appreciation for the standard stats that I grew up with as a kid. And that's the only "argument" I need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Point being, I'm not going to make an argument for BA because it's a preference thing,

Problem is, when hosts like Yahoo or ESPN choose .BA for their standard leagues they aren't allowing that preference to take form. Their choosing it for the casuals.

I think there is a logical argument that OBP > BA and we as a fantasy community  should strive to fix the standard. This isn't an issue of preference as you frame it out to be because of this standard. 

13 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So why does there need to be an argument other than the one that says the casual player is more familiar with it and more likely to know/understand it? 

That's fine and all, but I strive to better the fantasy product. 

If I had to estimate the percentage of casuals to serious managers, I'd say it's something like 70% casual, 30% serious on Yahoo. Of those casuals, I bet they wouldn't even be able to answer what the stat OBP actually accounts for beyond just "getting on base".