NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

Is there a worse platform than ESPN? Had a draft on Yahoo last night and then ESPN today and the drafting experience on ESPN is so barebones I feel. Cant sort by ADP (useful to see where market value is, not as something to draft blindly by obviously). I like how Yahoo tells you when you sort by rank, which players could be there for your next pick also. ESPN looks good but the recent adjustments arent an improvement over what they had previously IMO, going from Yahoo to ESPN felt like such a step down to me, just a shame that my main league is in ESPN instead of Yahoo 

• Like 1
  • Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed - however my experience is the owners who view all their players as trade-able for the right price (such as myself) aren't going to bother doing a trade block post. You have to dig deeper in in

How is the Fantrax app listed? I cannot find it in the app store on my iphone. I just put in "Fantrax" and it does not show.    @glworld My favorite platform is Yahoo, but they're no better

Yahoo: Current owners of Brendan McKay (Batter) in Yahoo leagues: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Commissioners of Yahoo leagues who now have to deal with the ensuing bickering about who gets Brendan

Posted Images

5 hours ago, wallach17 said:

Is there a worse platform than ESPN? Had a draft on Yahoo last night and then ESPN today and the drafting experience on ESPN is so barebones I feel. Cant sort by ADP (useful to see where market value is, not as something to draft blindly by obviously). I like how Yahoo tells you when you sort by rank, which players could be there for your next pick also. ESPN looks good but the recent adjustments arent an improvement over what they had previously IMO, going from Yahoo to ESPN felt like such a step down to me, just a shame that my main league is in ESPN instead of Yahoo 

You can sort by ADP on ESPN in the draft room. ADP is the last column in the stats window, it is located all the way to the right, you have to scroll over as far to the right as possible in the stats window to view it. 

The main issue I had with ESPN's ADP is that for about 13-14 players I looked up, it said they all had an ADP of 260. Whatever they're doing, it ain't working. So, basically useless.

I have been having to get credible ADP's elsewhere.

Another problem with espn in auction drafts it doesn’t show how many players that the other teams need to still draft without looking at each teams roster.  Each teams max bid, money left, and number of players drafted and still need to draft should easily be seen.

On yahoo I know if you draft on the 19th or earlier or 20th if your roster change format is Daily - today. I however can't find if the total for your weekly moves (I assume so) start on the 20th or wait until the 28th.

18 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Mock espn draft

I join 

I click on enter draft 

It brings me back to the Oakland mock draft waiting room. 

Last night was unsuccessful 

Solved the problem I needed the Espn app 

I think yahoo should make the vetos public knowledge and force people to write a sentence on why they are vetoing the trade.

what do you think?

42 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I think yahoo should make the vetos public knowledge and force people to write a sentence on why they are vetoing the trade.

what do you think?

I'd be for that. But we got rid of the veto and everything goes through the commissioner now who we all trust. 

Just now, BostonCajun said:

I'd be for that. But we got rid of the veto and everything goes through the commissioner now who we all trust. 

Im moreso thinking about tgeir standard public leagues, i think it’d be a simple partial solution to the problem of simpletons vetoing for no apparent reason.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Im moreso thinking about tgeir standard public leagues, i think it’d be a simple partial solution to the problem of simpletons vetoing for no apparent reason.

The public leagues Yahoo acts as the Commissioner. Doesn't matter how many "simpletons" vote for a veto if Yahoo thinks the trade is to lopsided the trade doesn't go through.  Or maybe that is just the Pro leagues.

3 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

The public leagues Yahoo acts as the Commissioner. Doesn't matter how many "simpletons" vote for a veto if Yahoo thinks the trade is to lopsided the trade doesn't go through.  Or maybe that is just the Pro leagues.

Likely just the pro leagues, in public leagues its mob rule majority takes the house

Playing in public leagues means dealing with the public, and the public, as a general rule, sucks.  I don't think any amount of platform changes is going to stop that.  People are always going to vote in their own best interest.  Being forced to write a justification isn't going to change that.  Better to find some leagues without a voting system, or just play in no-trade leagues if you can't.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Playing in public leagues means dealing with the public, and the public, as a general rule, sucks.  I don't think any amount of platform changes is going to stop that.  People are always going to vote in their own best interest.  Being forced to write a justification isn't going to change that.  Better to find some leagues without a voting system, or just play in no-trade leagues if you can't.

Sure, but deterrents to the blatant 'veto any trade by pressing one-button' would be nice. I would imagine it would decrease the amount of trades vetoed by at least 15% by just making people click a few more buttons or explain something.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think the commish should decide.

There's no commish in standard-one size fits all public leagues on ESPN/Yahoo/etc.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Sure, but deterrents to the blatant 'veto any trade by pressing one-button' would be nice. I would imagine it would decrease the amount of trades vetoed by at least 15% by just making people click a few more buttons or explain something.

There's no commish in standard-one size fits all public leagues on ESPN/Yahoo/etc.

But those casual leagues aren't exactly competitive nor are many people here still playing on them I would imagine.  I mean they are a great way to start for beginners and for workplace office pools and for family fun and such.  I started out there now years ago but quickly noticed that there usually were no more than 3 other owners tops actually playing with you.  Sometimes less.  All the other owners just drafted a team and forget about it.  So who really cares how vetoes work there.  Been so long ago I can't remember how they worked but I never saw any used there.  If it was by people playing a doubt if there were enough active owners to even try a veto.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But those casual leagues aren't exactly competitive nor are many people here still playing on them I would imagine.  I mean they are a great way to start for beginners and for workplace office pools and for family fun and such.  I started out there now years ago but quickly noticed that there usually were no more than 3 other owners tops actually playing with you.  Sometimes less.  All the other owners just drafted a team and forget about it.  So who really cares how vetoes work there.  Been so long ago I can't remember how they worked but I never saw any used there.  If it was by people playing a doubt if there were enough active owners to even try a veto.

Agree. My one and only yahoo team was a standard league. I joined because I wanted a yahoo team.  Draft day only six out of ten actually showed up by the all star break we had four active owners, by September it was just me and another owner. We played each other in the championship, I lost. 

• Like 1

for yahoo if there are only 11 teams in a 12 team league is there a 12th auto draft team added before draft time?

I'm in a league that drafts tonight at 8. it was full but now I see 11 teams. 45 minutes left, is that enough time to auto add a team or will it end up with 11?

15 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

for yahoo if there are only 11 teams in a 12 team league is there a 12th auto draft team added before draft time?

I'm in a league that drafts tonight at 8. it was full but now I see 11 teams. 45 minutes left, is that enough time to auto add a team or will it end up with 11?

I can't edit this post anymore, but a 12th team was added, all good. 😀

13 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

That is good you got a 12th team but just to answer the question.  If it is a public league, yes an auto-drafter team owner(s) is(are) automatically added.  No public league ever gets cancelled.  They are always filled with auto-drafting teams.

And I see right above that ESPN's new software is off to a rousing start. 

I mean when Yahoo starts processing at 3 am eastern (midnight pacific) it sometimes runs until 6 to 7 in the morning during peak season for waivers to be added depending when their software processes your team.  So same thing could be happening with ESPN this morning.  Except it is way early in the season like not even Opening Day for waivers to trail that long.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No public league ever gets cancelled.  They are always filled with auto-drafting teams.

That's not entirely true.

It depends on the pool of auto-draft teams available. Nowadays with the season very close there is a very large pool of managers looking to draft so it is pretty rare for a public league to get deleted due to not enough teams.

But just last week I had a number of public leagues deleted due to low number of managers and no pool to fill them. In some leagues I had as much as 9/12 managers and it ended up being deleted, I was quite surprised. 

7 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

That's not entirely true.

It depends on the pool of auto-draft teams available. Nowadays with the season very close there is a very large pool of managers looking to draft so it is pretty rare for a public league to get deleted due to not enough teams.

But just last week I had a number of public leagues deleted due to low number of managers and no pool to fill them. In some leagues I had as much as 9/12 managers and it ended up being deleted, I was quite surprised.

How many casual public leagues do you play in?  And why?  🙃  I mean if they are pro money leagues and you are using them for some extra change I can see it.  But casual public leagues are so boring what with just playing against 3 owners out of the 12 ever playing against you max.  You know baseball well enough to be playing in deep private leagues and having some real fun.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How many casual public leagues do you play in?  And why?  🙃  I mean if they are pro money leagues and you are using them for some extra change I can see it.  But casual public leagues are so boring what with just playing against 3 owners out of the 12 ever playing against you max.  You know baseball well enough to be playing in deep private leagues and having some real fun.

This year I did 8 leagues on my account and 6 of them were private (me commish) with much deeper rosters and (better) settings. Out of the two public leaguess, one was a 'winners roto' and the other was a public roto.

I ended up with some time on my hand this past week so I decided to do another 8 teams in the standard public H2H format on my other account. Went with the stars and scrubs approach which should make it pretty easy to be successful in these silly leagues.

I'd prefer to have like 3-4 main leagues, but I don't have any friends IRL who are into fantasy baseball like that and I'm not very financially set to be spending any big money on online leagues.

I guess my set up this year beats my 63 public Y! leagues I was in last year.