NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- ESPN/Yahoo/CBS/Fantrax, etc.

Dugout Legend

2 hours ago, RoadApple said:

Ive switched my leagues to Fantrax and, after some initial growing pains, I couldn't be happier. I wonder if there's a way to see registration in Fantasy sites this year? I would have to think Fantrax has taken a huge chunk of that from both ESPN and Yahoo.

No.  Well over 95% of all leagues are casuals.  Yahoo and ESPN are free.  There may be some small migration to Yahoo after ESPN's rocky new rollout but a couple of hundred at most hardcore players exiting ESPN and choosing to go to Fantrax over Yahoo does not a large chunk make.  Especially since it has no real phone app per se which most hardcore players consult a LOT during the day.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No.  Well over 95% of all leagues are casuals.  Yahoo and ESPN are free.  There may be some small migration to Yahoo after ESPN's rocky new rollout but a couple of hundred at most hardcore players exiting ESPN and choosing to go to Fantrax over Yahoo does not a large chunk make.  Especially since it has no real phone app per se which most hardcore players consult a LOT during the day.

You may be right but thats why I was wondering about numbers. I feel like its more than a couple hundred though. My wife likes to remind me ive been wrong before.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, it does take getting used to. 

I like a good ole fashioned, traditional 5x5, and Yahoo is my goto for that. If i wanted to customize with out-of-the ordinary stats, then I’d consider Fantrax. But to steal Dugout’s analogy...I’ll take my reliable, old, 200k mile truck any day over a brand new Caddy. I’m sure many will think that is just dumb. But...I know every nut and bolt, every sound, every jostle, every flaw...every everything about my truck. My truck is an extension of me because I know it so well. Is a new Caddy prettier? Sure. Does it have more bells and whistles? Sure. Is it newer? Sure. But I know my truck better than anybody else. And besides, reliable trucks are better for country living than a fancy new Cadillac. 😁

So obviously Yahoo is my old truck. I know it, flaws and all. But I trust it and know I can rely on it to do everything I want/need it to do. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it for everyone? Nope. Fantrax is the pretty new toy, but not everyone has to have the pretty new toy. I find it humorous that others are baffled when someone is different from them or has a different outlook or a different like/dislike. The differences in our perspectives are one of the things that make this game so fun. 😁

You’re crazy. Take the Cadillac. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

You may be right but thats why I was wondering about numbers. I feel like its more than a couple hundred though. My wife likes to remind me ive been wrong before.

Well tell her she can add another to it, haha.  Fantasy baseball doesn't have the huge numbers fantasy football has so we are not talking hordes and hordes of fantasy minions here.  And Fantrax is a specialty site whose appeal is more in having more customization.  But Yahoo has added a bunch of sabermetrics stuff to view on it's site right on your own team's home page ("Advanced Stats") now so they are upgrading a little bit better than ESPN these days.

Yahoo's Advanced Stats included are:

HR/FB%*,  GB/FB*,  BABIP*,  ISO*,  CT%*,  wOBA*,  wRAA*,  RC*,  TOB*,  GB*,  GB%*,  FB*,  FB%*,  OPS+*,  P/PA*,  SB%*,  GDPR*,  SL*,  WAR*

So now you can look over your team and your opponents' teams every which way.  Not available in Players area (free agent pool) yet but you can act like you are adding a player (click on + but don't actually add them) and look over those stats without actually adding the player first.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well tell her she can add another to it, haha.  Fantasy baseball doesn't have the huge numbers fantasy football has so we are not talking hordes and hordes of fantasy minions here.  And Fantrax is a specialty site whose appeal is more in having more customization.  But Yahoo has added a bunch of sabermetrics stuff to view on it's site right on your own team's home page ("Advanced Stats") now so they are upgrading a little bit better than ESPN these days.

Yahoo's Advanced Stats included are:

HR/FB%*,  GB/FB*,  BABIP*,  ISO*,  CT%*,  wOBA*,  wRAA*,  RC*,  TOB*,  GB*,  GB%*,  FB*,  FB%*,  OPS+*,  P/PA*,  SB%*,  GDPR*,  SL*,  WAR*

So now you can look over your team and your opponents' teams every which way.  Not available in Players area (free agent pool) yet but you can act like you are adding a player (click on + but don't actually add them) and look over those stats without actually adding the player first.

The main reason our league switched (Other than ESPN dropping a bunch of features everyone used) was to accommodate draft pick trading, which Fantrax does very well. I've actually never used Yahoo.

Did ESPN even bother testing their new site? It's truly awful. Information about who's starting and who's not, gone. Easy way to only view available players in the most added/dropped screen, gone. Ability to click on a team name on the scoreboard and see their roster, gone. This is basic, basic stuff. How could they have rolled out such a bad update? Is there any indication they are working on fixing these things?

5 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

The main reason our league switched (Other than ESPN dropping a bunch of features everyone used) was to accommodate draft pick trading, which Fantrax does very well. I've actually never used Yahoo.

Yahoo offers draft pick trading.  I don't use it anymore in my leagues because I play full dynasty and it is hard to trade picks when the owner that traded them holds on to the entire roster the next year, hah.  So I don't know if at least one player has to be involved in the deals and not just abstract draft pick trades with players not being involved.  It has been years since I played in draft pick trade leagues.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

5 hours ago, dele said:

Did ESPN even bother testing their new site? It's truly awful. Information about who's starting and who's not, gone. Easy way to only view available players in the most added/dropped screen, gone. Ability to click on a team name on the scoreboard and see their roster, gone. This is basic, basic stuff. How could they have rolled out such a bad update? Is there any indication they are working on fixing these things?

You think ESPN's fantasy baseball site is bad? You should have seen when it was implemented for fantasy hockey and basketball this past fall. It was truly a beta type version of what you're seeing with baseball. LMs couldn't even control the league with tools that would normally be available. It was a complete sh^t show. Seems they've worked out most of the kinks with baseball, but it's still not 100%.

There was not much to complain about with ESPN's format last year, imho. Some of us were upset when they removed active scripts from running on the front page LM message, but otherwise it wasn't broken. Then...they tried to fix it.

Edited by k.k.
sp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RoadApple said:

ESPN does too but they limit it to 10 team leagues (At least they did, not sure if they fixed that). 

We had draft pick trading enabled for  our 14 team ESPN league this spring. So that must have been fixed.

11 hours ago, k.k. said:

You think ESPN's fantasy baseball site is bad? You should have seen when it was implemented for fantasy hockey and basketball this past fall. It was truly a beta type version of what you're seeing with baseball. LMs couldn't even control the league with tools that would normally be available. It was a complete sh^t show. Seems they've worked out most of the kinks with baseball, but it's still not 100%.

There was not much to complain about with ESPN's format last year, imho. Some of us were upset when they removed active scripts from running on the front page LM message, but otherwise it wasn't broken. Then...they tried to fix it.

I think I mentioned this earlier. When using my phone no Batter v Pitcher. They sren’t putting in games playrd at other positions on the eligibility tab.

I always get the sorry for your inconveniance response. I also fet conflicted responses. Eliminated due to the new format or we are working on it and will reintroduce in a timely manner.

Any way to pressure them to scrap the new format?

11 minutes ago, coleporter said:

I think I mentioned this earlier. When using my phone no Batter v Pitcher. They sren’t putting in games playrd at other positions on the eligibility tab.

I always get the sorry for your inconveniance response. I also fet conflicted responses. Eliminated due to the new format or we are working on it and will reintroduce in a timely manner.

Any way to pressure them to scrap the new format?

The games played are up there. David Bote as played 3 games at 2nd etc... PP is 3rd 

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

iPad ... if it is on my iPad and sure is on the desktop 

team page click on eligibility 

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

iPad ... if it is on my iPad and sure is on the desktop 

team page click on eligibility 

Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have an iPad. I use my phone alot. The thing is all of this available last year on the old site. ESPN really has blown it.

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

odd..in my ESPN league...matthew boyds stats are not shown for yesterday nor accounted for yet

anyone else having this issue?

Same here.

This may have already been brought up, but while we're airing grievances about the new ESPN format has anyone else noticed that they haven't updated position eligibility numbers yet?  It's too early to change anything but it would be nice to know which guys are working towards a particular position in order to plan ahead.

43 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

This may have already been brought up, but while we're airing grievances about the new ESPN format has anyone else noticed that they haven't updated position eligibility numbers yet?  It's too early to change anything but it would be nice to know which guys are working towards a particular position in order to plan ahead.

You did not read my above post. They have. 

I click on eligibility I see David Bote has played 3 games at 2nd his PP is 3rd 

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You did not read my above post. They have. 

I click on eligibility I see David Bote has played 3 games at 2nd his PP is 3rd 

If they're on your team yeah they show up.  If you're looking at the player pool/search function/watch list they still are not.  Bote is a FA and just has PP at 3rd with nothing else listed. At least for me.