NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

14 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

At this point, give me McMahon much later.  Too risky with playing time up in the air.

At this point, ADP is going to shift drastically. As it appears McMahon may be winning the job, he’s going to move up, and Hampson will tumble. So I’m not sure ADP data and saying “much later” really applies anymore. 

The question really is whether you bother to “handcuff” one with the other and assume you have the Rockies 2B. I think even that comes with *some* risk, but probably what most will do until it figures itself out.

• Like 2
  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

2018 called. It wants Scott Kingery back. 

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

Not playing again today. Or at least he's not starting. 7 games in a row.

is that because they know what they have and they want other players to get work (i.e. "tryouts")?

• Haha 1

Just got an alert from RW saying he’s been out with a hamstring injury.

“Garrett Hampson has been held out of Cactus League action since last Saturday due to tightness in his right hamstring, but he's expected to be in the lineup this Saturday.

Hampson insists that the Rockies holding him out has been "precautionary." While that's good to hear, he can't afford to miss any more time as he battles Ryan McMahon for the team's second base gig. Both Hampson (.308/.379/.654, three home runs, five steals) and McMahon (.444/.488/.833, two home runs) have been outstanding at the plate this spring, but Hampson holds the perceived edge because he's the better defender.”

Edited by Fantasy Dork
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Just got an alert from RW saying he’s been out with a hamstring injury.

“Garrett Hampson has been held out of Cactus League action since last Saturday due to tightness in his right hamstring, but he's expected to be in the lineup this Saturday.

Hampson insists that the Rockies holding him out has been "precautionary." While that's good to hear, he can't afford to miss any more time as he battles Ryan McMahon for the team's second base gig. Both Hampson (.308/.379/.654, three home runs, five steals) and McMahon (.444/.488/.833, two home runs) have been outstanding at the plate this spring, but Hampson holds the perceived edge because he's the better defender.”

Take the Rotoworld spin with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Take the Rotoworld spin with a grain of salt.

What spin?  They didn't report it.  The poster above didn't copy and past the whole thing.

Garrett Hampson has been held out of Cactus League action since last Saturday due to tightness in his right hamstring, but he's expected to be in the lineup this Saturday.

Hampson insists that the Rockies holding him out has been "precautionary." While that's good to hear, he can't afford to miss any more time as he battles Ryan McMahon for the team's second base gig. Both Hampson (.308/.379/.654, three home runs, five steals) and McMahon (.444/.488/.833, two home runs) have been outstanding at the plate this spring, but Hampson holds the perceived edge because he's the better defender.

Source: Thomas Harding on Twitter       Mar 15, 2019, 2:19 PM

This is reported by some guy named Thomas Harding.  Is he a beat reporter?  Hampson's old high school buddy?  A front office plant? An Aborigine on a dreamtime walkabout?  Inquiring minds want to know.

The only thing Rotoworld really added was that Hampson is the better defender.  Which he is my a country mile.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What spin?  They didn't report it.  The poster above didn't copy and past the whole thing.

The only thing Rotoworld really added was that Hampson is the better defender.  Which he is my a country mile.

Yes that's right but they added "he has the perceived edge" due to his defense. But we really don't know who has the edge right now.

McMahon’s walk off single today could seal the deal on job for him.  This late in spring that’s a huge momentum shifting type win for the Rockies as they gear up for the 2019 campaign.  Hampson injury just came at an inopportune time.  I’d be shocked if he won the job over McMAN after today’s heroics.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

McMahon’s walk off single today could seal the deal on job for him.  This late in spring that’s a huge momentum shifting type win for the Rockies as they gear up for the 2019 campaign.  Hampson injury just came at an inopportune time.  I’d be shocked if he won the job over McMAN after today’s heroics.  

So Hampson will have some type of super utility role to start the season?  MI + OF when starters rest or PH?

4 hours ago, disasterisk said:

open the link with an incognito tab in chrome.

Even my lowly cable guy advises never to use Chrome that has more security holes in it's software than Swiss cheese.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

So Hampson will have some type of super utility role to start the season?  MI + OF when starters rest or PH?

No one knows anything yet.

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Even my lowly cable guy advises never to use Chrome that has more security holes in it's software than Swiss cheese.

No one knows anything yet.

You don't want north korea getting access to your fantasy baseball advice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
8 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Left hurt again?  Is he trying to over exert himself keeping up with McMAN?

Do you have a source saying he left injured?

He was subbed in the bottom of the 5th, no indication of it being injury related, just a run of the mill spring training sub in his first game back, not like he was pulled during play or anything.

I think I read somewhere he was pulled for precautionary reasons. I still think he makes it to the opening roster. If not, he will make his way some time during the summer. 

Garrett Hampson (hamstring) returned to the lineup on Saturday, but was removed in the fifth inning.

Advice: This could be just a normal spring training move, but because of the hamstring tightness Hampson has been dealing with, it's at the very least something we'll be monitoring. If he's healthy enough to play, he's very likely going to be the starting second baseman for the Rockies, but that's an important if. We'll have more if/when we find out why Hampson was removed.

More: Thomas Harding on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Do you have a source saying he left injured?

He was subbed in the bottom of the 5th, no indication of it being injury related, just a run of the mill spring training sub in his first game back, not like he was pulled during play or anything.

Just cbs update says Patrick Saunders of Denver post reveals he left the game early.  I haven’t seen anything else on it.

Edited by Cmilne23
24 minutes ago, Koufax Machine said:

Baseball Press has him playing and leading off today. 

McMahon hitting 7th.

Full Lineup:

SS G. Hampson R
CF Ian Desmond R
DH D. Murphy L
1B M. Reynolds R
LF David Dahl L
3B Pat Valaika R
2B Ryan McMahon L
RF Noel Cuevas R
C Tony Wolters L

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Full Lineup:

SS G. Hampson R
CF Ian Desmond R
DH D. Murphy L
1B M. Reynolds R
LF David Dahl L
3B Pat Valaika R
2B Ryan McMahon L
RF Noel Cuevas R
C Tony Wolters L

So he will platoon with Story moving forward?

• Haha 3