NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

He’ll be a UTL man he may sit a game or 2 a week but he’ll play quite a bit.  It’s like Kingery last year he didn’t really have a position but he played all over just about everyday until they realized he was awful.  

Great point. It may end up being a boon to his value with multi position eligibility. If he hits then he’s going to get 500 ABs somehow 

And may even get pinch running steals 

I’d throw an offer to his owner right now. 

Im still kind of bullish.

• Like 1
  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

2018 called. It wants Scott Kingery back. 

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while

Posted Images

Just now, osb_tensor said:

i don't see it on baseballpress, but for whatever it's worth, fantrax has him marked as not playing today.

Yeah I'd believe it.  Just couldn't find it on BP or twitter.  Bummer if true. 

6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Great point. It may end up being a boon to his value with multi position eligibility. If he hits then he’s going to get 500 ABs somehow 

And may even get pinch running steals 

I’d throw an offer to his owner right now. 

Im still kind of bullish.

It will end up helping his value quite a bit.  He’ll likely have SS, 2B, OF here soon.  McMahon will sit vs LHP.  Murphy will get a day or 2 a week early as he’s older and injury prone.  McMahon or Desmond will shift to first when he does and Hampson will either play OF or 2B.   Ian Desmond isn’t starting everyday so he’ll pickup OF starts.  China Dahl is going to get rest a day a week at least as he’s very injury prone.  Chuck will probably sit a few games a month.  So there’s going to be pathes to near daily at bats.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2

One more time, he has no place to play at the moment, unless and injury occurs or if McMahon or Desmond stink up the place the first week. The regulars Murphy, Story, Arenado, Blackmon & Dahl do not come out of the lineup. You can pencil those five for six days a week. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

One more time, he has no place to play at the moment, unless and injury occurs or if McMahon or Desmond stink up the place the first week. The regulars Murphy, Story, Arenado, Blackmon & Dahl do not come out of the lineup. You can pencil those five for six days a week. 

McMahon is NOT the everyday 2B.  He has to share his toys.

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Yes, and then you can pencil Hampson in for McMahon one-two days a week (more vs LHP), Murphy one day a week, Desmond one day a week, Dahl one day a week.  I’m not sure how hard is it for people to understand?  Ben Zobrist has made his hay for years on wearing multiple gloves and playing all over the field.  Hampson will be in the same mold.  Playing on average of 4-5 times a week with pinch hits/pinch run appearances.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yes, and then you can pencil Hampson in for McMahon one-two days a week (more vs LHP), Murphy one day a week, Desmond one day a week, Dahl one day a week.  I’m not sure how hard is it for people to understand?  Ben Zobrist has made his hay for years on wearing multiple gloves and playing all over the field.  Hampson will be in the same mold.  Playing on average of 4-5 times a week with pinch hits/pinch run appearances.  

Maddon has also shown he is willing to only play guys 3-5 times a week depending on matchups.  Has Bud Black ever done that?  He seems so old school that he'll play "his starters".

7 minutes ago, desert86 said:

Maddon has also shown he is willing to only play guys 3-5 times a week depending on matchups.  Has Bud Black ever done that?  He seems so old school that he'll play "his starters".

He usually gives his vets normal rest and maintenance.  They had Hampson playing all over in spring.  Could be a bit murky waters early as we see how things play out.  These things usually have a way of working themselves out for talented players though. 

Edited by Cmilne23
14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

McMahon is NOT the everyday 2B.  He has to share his toys.

I think we're splitting hairs here re: "everyday" at this point.

I think it's fair to project McMahon as at least the strong side of a platoon at 2B, especially if he starts hot.  Now that may not mean that much in the NL West (check out the number of lefty starters) but Hampson is certainly looking like super-utility at this point (which may ultimately be a blessing in disguise.)

• Like 1

I'm definitely not in any rush to get rid of Hampson, with his particular skill set and ballpark.  I'd love to see him accumulate pos. eligibility until someone inevitably gets hurt or McMahon flops or whatever.  I'll be holding until I have no choice due to injuries on my squad or what have you.  I remember Trea Turner toiled for a while, before finding full time ABs his first season.  I think he even did a return stint to AAA.  But once he was a regular, he was the kind of addition who won leagues for you.

Edited by Turkey Burgers
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

We shall see. So you are saying Garrett Hampson is going to start 4 or 5 days a week? 

I will never own a pinch hitter. Too unreliable. 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

We shall see. So you are saying Garrett Hampson is going to start 4 or 5 days a week? 

Just saying that cutting him today isn't necessary.  Wait and see what his role is.

Edited by Turkey Burgers
Just now, shakestreet said:

That’s what it looks like now.  Just looking at their roster configuration.  I wouldn’t call him a pinch hitter, he’s more so a super UTL man right now.  In the NL, and with age/injuryproneness of players on team there’s some avenues to consistent at bats.  

Between rest for Murphy, Desmond's general suckitude, and likely growing pains for McMahon the path to ABs is pretty straightforward here.

The pain in the a** is predicting which days Hampson will be in there. It's going to take some being on the ball to ensure he's in the lineup and go with options if not. 

The confounding factor is Bud Black. Even if it's painfully obvious at some point Hampson is the right choice to be in there, I don't trust he will go with him on a full time basis. In fact, I almost expect the McMahon treatment from 2018 for GH this year. 

Just now, Turkey Burgers said:

I'm definitely not in any rush to get rid of Hampson, with his particular skill set and ballpark.  I'd love to see him accumulate pos. eligibility until someone inevitably gets hurt or McMahon flops or whatever.  I'll be holding until I have no choice due to injuries on my squad or what have you.  I remember Trea Turner had a bumpy ride to finding full time ABs his first season, but once he was a regular, he was the kind of addition who won leagues for you.

Correct ... If you drafted him, you do not drop him. You need to play the waiting game to see what is going to happen. 

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Pretty short sighted, especially when you consider McMahon tore up spring training last year just to absolutely suck against MLB pitching. 

The risk with Hampson to start the year was well known, but with his flexibility and McMahon being useless vs LHP in the minors and this spring (176 avg, 440 ops even this spring vs lhp) he should find plenty of ABs. An injury anywhere but catcher gets Hampson full time AB opportunity. He'll be rotated otherwise and with rotation there's always the opportunity to play your way into a steady full time role.

• Like 3

Hold for now and see how it plays out. He was so hyped that if you got him you paid decent price for him (although not top 10 round).

I'd see how it plays out for a few weeks at least before jumping off the ship.

Of course, unless there's a real enticing option on the waiver but I'm not sure if there's a lot of guys with such a high ceiling.

32 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

He has lost the 2B job since I drafted him.

Lets not be ignorant. 

A utility player is nice for a team to have, not a fantasy team to have.

Hampson owner saying this is essentially true.  Those that are proclaiming Hampson to remain fantasy viable (12 teamers I speak of) are assuming/hoping/praying that:

1) He gets a super utility gig similar to Zobrist.  However, Zobrist was a rare fantasy asset who retained value.  So much so that his name ALWAYS comes up every time someone becomes a utility player.  Fact is most guys are not worth it... 

2) The chance he takes over for McMahon, or that Murphy or Desmond fail or get injured.  I agree this is his best opportunity for real fantasy value but don't see it happening anytime soon.  

I think he plays 3-5 times a week and that just won't cut it.   I am in a keeper league and would love to hold because he's going to be super valuable some day.  Maybe this year, maybe next.  However, unless an injury I can pretty much see that the frustration level is going to reach pretty high proportions here.  Maybe I am wrong with playing time but I doubt it....