NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

garlando

8 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Where are all these SB guys with a feel to hit and non zero power on the WW?

His 5x5 upside is worth a hold and see for a bit here. 

This...I only own him in my 2 dynasty leagues so I could care less about him starting right now.  An injury to any starter except a catcher guarantees him full time so it’s not a question of if he gets full time but when.  In the meantime he will play 3-4 times a week and gets his fair share of a bats.  If you drafted him thinking he’d get 550-600 PA your expectations were off.  He will get 400-450 and probably end up with a .280 avg, .340 Obp, 10 hrs, 25 sbs, 60ish runs.  40-60 rbis.  No this isn’t amazing, but if you’re in daily lineups and spot start him when’s he’s in then it’s a most likely a boost over whoever you’re plugging in in for(which will be just about anyone you want once he has 2b, ss and of eligibility.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

This...I only own him in my 2 dynasty leagues so I could care less about him starting right now.  An injury to any starter except a catcher guarantees him full time so it’s not a question of if he gets full time but when.  In the meantime he will play 3-4 times a week and gets his fair share of a bats.  If you drafted him thinking he’d get 550-600 PA your expectations were off.  He will get 400-450 and probably end up with a .280 avg, .340 Obp, 10 hrs, 25 sbs, 60ish runs.  40-60 rbis.  No this isn’t amazing, but if you’re in daily lineups and spot start him when’s he’s in then it’s a most likely a boost over whoever you’re plugging in in for(which will be just about anyone you want once he has 2b, ss and of eligibility.

Are you sure Hampson is the #4 OF?  What about Ramiel Tapia?

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

Are you sure Hampson is the #4 OF?  What about Ramiel Tapia?

Tapia is, but if one of the starters goes down I would think hampson gets more time in the OF while also getting reps at 2nd and make him essentially a full time player, sitting 1 game a week.  If Murphy or Arenado go down mcmahon moves and hampson is full time 2nd and if story goes down he’s full time ss.  So while OF is the worst path to full time, it’s also the most likely as Dahl is fragile and Desmond/Blackmon are getting old, could see them each sitting 20-30 games with minor ailments this year.  Same goes for Murphy.  Those 3 alone could buy Hampson an extra 60+ games.

Edited by BackyardBaseball
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Hampson owner saying this is essentially true.  Those that are proclaiming Hampson to remain fantasy viable (12 teamers I speak of) are assuming/hoping/praying that:

1) He gets a super utility gig similar to Zobrist.  However, Zobrist was a rare fantasy asset who retained value.  So much so that his name ALWAYS comes up every time someone becomes a utility player.  Fact is most guys are not worth it... 

2) The chance he takes over for McMahon, or that Murphy or Desmond fail or get injured.  I agree this is his best opportunity for real fantasy value but don't see it happening anytime soon.  

I think he plays 3-5 times a week and that just won't cut it.   I am in a keeper league and would love to hold because he's going to be super valuable some day.  Maybe this year, maybe next.  However, unless an injury I can pretty much see that the frustration level is going to reach pretty high proportions here.  Maybe I am wrong with playing time but I doubt it....

Depends on league type, size and bench depth, but many reasons to hold if possible-

1. It's only one game and we really don't know what usage he will get.

2. If there are any injuries or lack of production, that role could change quickly.

3. Talent is there- clear from ST and minors that his skill set will play both in real life and fantasy. And clear the Rockies realize it.

That said, there are lots of guys to speculate out there on and if there's no room on one's team, there's no room.  I have him in two leagues with minor slots that can serve as a roster extension.  But once he exhausts rookie eligibility, gonna have to reassess.  If he and McMahon end up in a strict platoon, lowering fantasy attractiveness of both players, acquiring McMahon (or visa versa) might make sense if there is roster space.  

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Tapia is, but if one of the starters goes down I would think hampson gets more time in the OF while also getting reps at 2nd and make him essentially a full time player, sitting 1 game a week.  If Murphy or Arenado go down mcmahon moves and hampson is full time 2nd and if story goes down he’s full time ss.  So while OF is the worst path to full time, it’s also the most likely as Dahl is fragile and Desmond/Blackmon are getting old, could see them each sitting 20-30 games with minor ailments this year.  Same goes for Murphy.  Those 3 alone could buy Hampson an extra 60+ games.

Wish upon a star.. If only ... this happen then this could happen 

Just now, MJDrocks said:

Yeah, if I'm in an NL Only I'd be holding but I'm in a 12-team mixed with more options in FA.

Not to be all CSB, but I'm in a weekly 14-team mixed that's a 5yr keeper...so I'm hanging tight. I'd probably hang onto him in any keeper right now.

• Like 1

I’m not giving someone in my league free 35+ SBs because he didn’t start the first game of the season.  I don’t care if he plays 3 games a week in April.  At some point by Memorial Day he’ll likely be playing full time.  Until then that’s what a bench is for.  I don’t need 18 starters to micromanage my way daily to see which 2-3 bench bats I play and don’t play.  

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Not to be all CSB, but I'm in a weekly 14-team mixed that's a 5yr keeper...so I'm hanging tight. I'd probably hang onto him in any keeper right now.

I would say hold in any keeper/dynasty, any league 14 or larger and any sized league with a decent # bench spots.

Leagues to drop would be redraft, 12 team mixed with short benches. Even there, if you have McMahon might be worth holding onto if you have daily transactions.  You can play whoever starts and if both start, especially at home. 

I think the talent mix (both real life and fantasy) is worth having a longer leash than a typical guy in his situation. 

Edited by bluefrogguy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m not giving someone in my league free 35+ SBs because he didn’t start the first game of the season.  I don’t care if he plays 3 games a week in April.  At some point by Memorial Day he’ll likely be playing full time.  Until then that’s what a bench is for.  I don’t need 18 starters to micromanage my way daily to see which 2-3 bench bats I play and don’t play.  

No way hes playing every day for the Rockies! He will play 2nd base and face most lefties there unless McMahon is raking and they let McMahon play everyday. The OF is full and if they have any injuries they will bring Brenden Rogers and Noel Cuevas to fill the injuries whether its in the INF or OF. the majority of Hampsons playing time will be pinch hitting and pinch running. also a late game defensive replacement. He will be lucky to get 200 abs this year.

It was between him and McNeil in a NL only as a final keeper and I went McNeil. I think it’s going to be a headache until McMahon slumps or someone gets injured. I think McMahon stays productive so it’s really hoping for a Dahl or Desmond injury in the outfield and that’s a risk I’d put money on to happen but at the expense of waiting until May or even June for it to happen? No thanks. 

I don’t know why the idea that the Rockies will find at least 400 ABs for Hampson via platoon and multi-position super utility work alone - with a chance for more if injury dictates it -is so controversial.

He is an exciting young player who had an awesome spring.  They’d send him to AAA rather than let him rot on the bench if it came down to it. 

12 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I don’t know why the idea that the Rockies will find at least 400 ABs for Hampson via platoon and multi-position super utility work alone - with a chance for more if injury dictates it -is so controversial.

He is an exciting young player who had an awesome spring.  They’d send him to AAA rather than let him rot on the bench if it came down to it. 

This.  He’s not gonna ride the pine everyday. Otherwise he would be back in the minors. The one day reactions are so extreme. You didn’t draft this guy to be a starter on your team. If you did, that was a horrible part on you. If anything, you drafted this guy exactly how the Rockies are planning on using him, that is as a utility player who carries multiple eligibility who you can plug in when someone on your team needs replacement. He’s got more potential than most of your wire options, especially considering his speed and the fact he won’t kill you in average.  Fantasy baseball is a marathon not a race.  If he only plays one game In the next 7 then yes reconsider rostering him. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, MasonBlue said:

It was one game. For all we know, Hampson woke up yesterday morning with the super-dumps! Most of us, myself included, didn't draft him to be a starter from day 1. He's a lottery ticket. You don't win or lose your season on day 1.

I think McMahon just had a better spring training and deserves to start the season at 2B since they said it was an open competition.

If he keeps hitting will determine how much playing time Hampson gets at 2B,  as long as McMahon can handle 2b on defense.

Hampson should be a hold through April in redraft leagues at the least.

He is getting the McMahon development plan from last year. Used as a pinch-hitter to start the year. Will lose his rhythm and then probably struggle. They should get him in there for Desmond right away so he can stay sharp. For example, the Jays got McKinney in there tonight even against a LHP and the Rays have Robertson in there against a RHP. 

They go at Tampa next so they’ll be DH for vets so I’m sure he’ll play there.  Looking at in division:

San Diego is LHP heavy with Lauer, Strahm, Lucchesi.  Not sure who their 5 is yet.

Giants is LHP heavy with Bumgarner, Holland and Pomeranz

Diamondbacks just one with Robbie Ray

Dodgers is generally LHP heavy if bodies are healthy Ryu, Kershaw, Hill, Urias.  They also have Stripling, Maeda and Buehler so this one will be messy I’m sure.  

So we’ll see how it plays out.  From 4/18 to 5/2 against Phillies, Nats, Braves, Brewers those are almost all RHP in those rotations outside of Fried and Corbin.  So hopefully by then we kind of see how usage and role will play out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This.  He’s not gonna ride the pine everyday. Otherwise he would be back in the minors. The one day reactions are so extreme. You didn’t draft this guy to be a starter on your team. If you did, that was a horrible part on you. If anything, you drafted this guy exactly how the Rockies are planning on using him, that is as a utility player who carries multiple eligibility who you can plug in when someone on your team needs replacement. He’s got more potential than most of your wire options, especially considering his speed and the fact he won’t kill you in average.  Fantasy baseball is a marathon not a race.  If he only plays one game In the next 7 then yes reconsider rostering him. 

I totally agree with this,except id give it more than 7 days.  See what you have here.

1 minute ago, ImHighandInside said:

It’s crazy to me that this utility (not platoon) player has just as many thread pages as the clean up hitter for the freakin New York Yankees.

Eh I feel like this is standard for young Rockies players. Seems as if they're always brought along a year later than the fantasy world wants em and they're always super hyped because if the park. 

Hell Dahl has had a super active thread for awhile now and the side has played like 3 games total before this year.

• Like 1