NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

garlando

On 3/28/2019 at 2:42 PM, StevieStats said:

Pretty short sighted, especially when you consider McMahon tore up spring training last year just to absolutely suck against MLB pitching. 

The risk with Hampson to start the year was well known, but with his flexibility and McMahon being useless vs LHP in the minors and this spring (176 avg, 440 ops even this spring vs lhp) he should find plenty of ABs. An injury anywhere but catcher gets Hampson full time AB opportunity. He'll be rotated otherwise and with rotation there's always the opportunity to play your way into a steady full time role.

19 minutes ago, exaulz said:

Well that didn't take long...fractured finger for Murphy. Let's hope they keep starting McMahon at 1B and not Reynolds

2 days.

Hopefully the fantasy football players in this thread take a deep breath now. 

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, exaulz said:

Well that didn't take long...fractured finger for Murphy. Let's hope they keep starting McMahon at 1B and not Reynolds

Barring Hampson falling flat on his face, which obviously is always possible, I don't think that will be much of an issue.  I could see Reynolds getting a start a week maybe, but that would be the worst case scenario.  For at least the next month or two, things should be fairly headache free.

Just now, David Aames said:

So whats the deal with this guy? seems like everyone likes him in here. Why?

Why not? Any Colorado hitter is worthy a look and Hampson has good speed from the middle infield (has shortstop eligibility in my league, should soon have 2B). Almost 40 SBs last year and 51 the year before that. Granted it was in the minors, but it's still promising. Good all around minor league numbers.

22 minutes ago, David Aames said:

40 abs last year only 2 sbs. Does he really have 50 sb upside?

I think projecting anyone to steal 50 bags in the Majors is ambitious (no one got their last year in the entire league), but he definitely has speed. One of the top 10 fastest players in baseball. And has been a fairly successful base stealer in his career. And unlike some other speedsters (like say Mallix Smith and Billy Hamilton), he actually has some power. And he plays middle infield. Even 30 SBs cracked the top 10 in the league. A decent comp might be Dee Gordon. I think Hampson is a better overall hitter and has more power than Gordon, but Dee  always has value due to his speed.

Murphy's fracture gives him the crack (pun intended) he needs. Pretty direct path to ABs assuming McMahon slides to first. 

Since it's Bud Black he's going to figure out a way for this to give Desmond and Reynolds as much PT as possible tho. 

9 hours ago, David Aames said:

so basically we are thinking just a solid fantasy player at ss/2b...nothing like mondesi who has a high ceiling

I guess it depends on what you expect from Mondesi. They're of similar age (Mondesi is about a year younger) and make-up. Of course Mondesi hit 14 HRs and stole 32 bases in roughly half a season in the Majors last year. And if you think Mondesi is going to hit 30 HRs and steal 60 bases, then Hampson won't touch that. But Hampson looks like a far more polished hitter overall. He'll actually take a walk and not strikeout at such a high rate. And outside of last year's power surge by Mondesi (which appears a bit flukish), they've had similar power numbers. And fairly similar stolen base numbers over their careers (Mondesi's 32 last year was a high for any level and his 42 total with the minors was a career high as well). So if we look at numbers overall, I'd say very similar. If we look at just July-September of 2019, then Mondesi clearly wins.

All of which is to say I get why people like Mondesi more and why they'd value him higher, but I don't think the chasm is that huge between them either. Their career numbers aren't that different. I think it depends on how much you think Mondesi's second half was real or is closer to a 2017 Byron Buxton type run.

• Like 1

In terms of Hampson and Mondesi, there's no comparison in terms of roles.  Mondesi is going to play everyday. Hampson will probably get 400ish ABs as best. In terms of an apples to apples skills comparison, Mondesi will provide more power (although Hampson did hit 4 ST HRs), maybe more speed, but much worse BA and is particularly bad in OBP leagues.  Hampson is a contact-speed hitter, that won't hurt Avg. or OBP.   

11 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

And it happened:

reynolds at 1b. Hampson not starting today 

Not to mention Tapia subbing in the outfield.  

Only real take away is this: it’s great to be a McMahon owner 

Edited by merlin401

12 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Pretty short sighted, especially when you consider McMahon tore up spring training last year just to absolutely suck against MLB pitching. 

The risk with Hampson to start the year was well known, but with his flexibility and McMahon being useless vs LHP in the minors and this spring (176 avg, 440 ops even this spring vs lhp) he should find plenty of ABs. An injury anywhere but catcher gets Hampson full time AB opportunity. He'll be rotated otherwise and with rotation there's always the opportunity to play your way into a steady full time role.

say it ain't so Stevie

Holy balls. 

Would really be interested to hear Black articulate his "thought" process. A move like this seems so counter intuitive to the best interests of the team both short and long term. 

Having said that now, bank on Reynolds going upper tank. 

2 minutes ago, treat88 said:

Holy balls. 

Would really be interested to hear Black articulate his "thought" process. A move like this seems so counter intuitive to the best interests of the team both short and long term. 

Having said that now, bank on Reynolds going upper tank. 

It’s somewhat customary to get players 1 start in the first few games of the season, could see this as a courtesy more than a sign of what’s to come.  Let’s just hope murphy doesn’t come back any time soon.

• Like 2