NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

garlando

2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Some elite level evaluation in here making determinations on players after only 19AB 🙄.  Good time to buy low judging by the thread if you were into Hampson in the offseason. 

You might be right but you might also be wrong

Alright boys! The plan is working!! Murphy on the DL. McMahon on the DL. All we have to wait for is just ooooone more injury and we will have our playing time for sure!  Hampsons second hit of the season is just one broken bone away, I can taste it!

• Haha 6

I guess Hampson slept with Bud's daughter or something (if he has one).  To roll out Valaika over Hampson when they have no other viable 2B left standing on the team is about an all time low for Bud Black.

I don't own him, but every time I think it's time to try to trade for him, Bud Black does Bud Black things...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Team Dynasty said:

Exactly. Is Colorado the worst team at young player playing time development etc.? 

No they are not, it's overplayed nonsense from McMahon fanboys. McMahon didn't get playing time and was sent to the minors because he sucked. He was just awful. 

People overrated their hitting prospects then get bent out of shape when they don't get free reign... name me a couple Rockies hitters that went elsewhere and succeeded after not getting playing time in Colorado...

Ian Desmond already up to -0.4 WAR. 3 for 32 with a 43% K rate. His swinging strike rate is almost 20%. Holy hell. 

Now look, I understand you have to get Valaika's .460 OPS and -1.2 WAR from last year into the lineup but maybe there'll be some room in CF soon. But then again, Charlie Blackmon was TWENTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD when he finally got full-time ABs for Colorado. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For everyone who says Hampson sucks and this LOSER manager is justified for not playing him, well find me a young player who’s hardly broke in at the MLB level and show me the recipe that says success for these kids to not play them much.  Hitting a baseball is hard enough as it is, but getting your reps jerked in and out to give Pat V (don’t care to take the time to look up spelling because the dude sucks), and Mark Reynolds PT is horrifyingly awful player development.  As Dod said above Ian Desmond absolutely one of the most wretched players in baseball and was last year also.  So how in gods name are Tapia and Hampson just rotting away on an mlb bench?  This day and age of baseball management is ridiculous you either have bums like Bell who rotate corpses to give his .400 OBP flourishing star days off all the time, or guys like Bud Black who’s loins steadily grow each time a players veteran stripe earning has advanced.  /rant.  Happy Sunday folks.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, StevieStats said:

No they are not, it's overplayed nonsense from McMahon fanboys. McMahon didn't get playing time and was sent to the minors because he sucked. He was just awful. 

People overrated their hitting prospects then get bent out of shape when they don't get free reign... name me a couple Rockies hitters that went elsewhere and succeeded after not getting playing time in Colorado...

Yes they are... I’m a Rockies fan from CO and every year they give time to the vets even if we don’t have a chance at the playoffs. Rookies need at bats to gain experience. Tapia has had a fine minor league career and they gave him 24 at bats last year. I think about the same the year before. BB should be starting Tapia over Desmond and Hampson over Pat V.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Name me a couple from other teams. Come on, the success rate is not high with the team you come up with, much less after leaving them and that goes for every team. 

The Rockies have been jerking around their young players for the past couple of season. It's been fairly obvious. 

• Like 1

Those players are not Tapia and Hampson. These two deserve playing time due to what they have done in the minors to see what they are made of in the majors. BB prefers vets even if they don’t produce. It’s very difficult to gain momentum with pinch hits and especially if you are just learning mlb pitching. 

Edited by espnfanco
  • Like 1

I agree, Rockies need to just let their young players play through and learn MLB pitching like many other teams do. Can't imagine if the Braves chose to play Markakis or even worse, members of AARP's..... over Acuña last year!

Animated GIF

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, espnfanco said:

Those players are not Tapia and Hampson. These two deserve playing time due to what they have done in the minors to see what they are made of in the majors. BB prefers vets even if they don’t produce. It’s very difficult to gain momentum with pinch hits and especially if you are just learning mlb pitching. 

Hampson got a cup of coffee last year and he's playing out of the gate... Tapia? Tapia? That's what I mean about over rating Rockies prospects, he cracked top 100 of baseball America once, hey solid prospect... but guys like Arenado, Dahl, Dickerson, Blackmon, Story, Freeland, Gray, Marquez... guys with some level of success, they weren't jerked around because they played and played well... and really McMahon wasn't he just played terrible and hit 180 forcing them to send him down, just like Tom Murphy did when everyone was hot for him... if the Rockies really jerked around their guys you should be able to show me players that went somewhere else and had success.

@Fantasy Baseball Geek

At the end of the day Hampson isn't being jerked around, he's not producing but still has a great opportunity to show what he can do so it really doesn't apply here, maybe you can hash it out at the Tapia thread? 

• Like 1