NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

On 4/6/2019 at 12:43 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

Some elite level evaluation in here making determinations on players after only 19AB 🙄.  Good time to buy low judging by the thread if you were into Hampson in the offseason. 

Yup. Give it some time. The Rockies can't be doing much for his confidence, but he has 7 games @Coors this week. Plays 2B, has speed. If you're really wanting to cut, this is the week to hold.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

2018 called. It wants Scott Kingery back. 

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

OR...and hear me out here...it’s been 24 PAs and most of us want to see more. 

I'm actually with you here and I was joking. I own Hampson and obviously want to see him do well.

Who wouldn't want a 10-15 hr / 30-40 sb guy on your team?  Be patient and wait it out for at least another week or two (next home stand).  With Dahl and Story possibly needing some time off, he has plenty opportunity to show he belongs as a starter. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, espnfanco said:

Who wouldn't want a 10-15 hr / 30-40 sb guy on your team?  Be patient and wait it out for at least another week or two (next home stand).  With Dahl and Story possibly needing some time off, he has plenty opportunity to show he belongs as a starter. 

Very true but it’s also fair to say that his window is very close to closing. If he is still struggling by the time McMahon is ready to return, then I think he is a complete drop. If he wins the job these next 2 or 3 weeks, and he is more than capable to win it, then great (and I’m all for seeing that part through), but otherwise he is done IMO

[A dozen or so posts removed.  Not only did Hampson not hit a HR, but even if he did, the time to talk about it in this thread would be after the game is over.  Play-by-play discussion belongs in the daily game day threads.]

• Like 1

Speed. Coors.  Very seductive. 

I've dropped him though. They didn't want to play him before he looked like Chris Davis.  They aren't going to want to play him after.  

Sure, he could go bananas in the next few days before his window closes.  But you're banking on positive variance in a short window at this point.  

The year is 2030. Rotoworld is still wondering when Garrett Hampson will break out. Fantasy owners everywhere rejoice when Bud Black steps down. But alas, the Rockies resign Ian Desmond for life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 of 26... utterly disappointing... his discipline looks good but my god, his contact quality sucks! Only 1 LD so far 1, 5%! Tons of soft contact at 26% and only 21% hard... small sample sure but it's garbage contact quality in that small sample. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/8/2019 at 5:24 AM, espnfanco said:

Who wouldn't want a 10-15 hr / 30-40 sb guy on your team? 

Everyone wants that.

Which is why I've avoided Hampson like the plague

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Peeps are starting to abandon hope. He was an 18th round keeper option in one of my leagues, and his owner dumped him today. We have 30-man rosters with 8-man benches, so we're not a league with shallow benches. According to Yahoo, he's approaching 1000 drops in whatever timeframe they use for that. 

If there weren't a slew of recent injuries (Murphy, McMahon, Dahl) I'd probably cut him in redraft (Arcia, Swanson, etc. are possibly out there to be had and way outproducing Hampson). But have to give it another week or so I think.

He had a great spring. Might just need a few solid hits to get his confidence back.  

Tons of guys have struggled mightily coming up for whatever reason.  Mondesi looked absolutely clueless when he came up a few years ago. As a Royals fan watching most of his at bats, I didn't think he would ever amount to anything.  

If he's available in your league, I'd scoop him up.  Hampson's game is perfect for a #2 hitter in the Rockies line up.  He takes a lot of pitches, can bunt with the best of them, and has the speed to turn groundballs into singles / force errors then move along the base paths for the big hitters to bring him home.

The Rockies have started off rough, but Dahl will be back, and Arenado will heat up.  I see Hampson, Dahl, and Story being asked to steal 25+ bases this year to give their offense a chance to score more runs than your typical, more talented hitting team.  Right now Hampson is starting nearly every game, and he's on a 5 game hitting streak.  If he can stick as the Rockies everyday 2nd basemen, and gets at bats at the top of the order like today, he has the skills to climb up the charts FAST.  

There aren't more than 5 players on waivers with his type of upside in 12 team + leagues.  Steals are hard to come by this year and 2nd base is VERY shallow.  I'm holding Sampson and Senzel to increase my chances of having a young 2nd basemen breakout this year.  If they both put up strong numbers, than there will be at least 1-3 teams in my league hurting for an impact 2nd basemen, netting my team a strong SP in return via trade.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

If he's available in your league, I'd scoop him up.  Hampson's game is perfect for a #2 hitter in the Rockies line up.  He takes a lot of pitches, can bunt with the best of them, and has the speed to turn groundballs into singles / force errors then move along the base paths for the big hitters to bring him home.

The Rockies have started off rough, but Dahl will be back, and Arenado will heat up.  I see Hampson, Dahl, and Story being asked to steal 25+ bases this year to give their offense a chance to score more runs than your typical, more talented hitting team.  Right now Hampson is starting nearly every game, and he's on a 5 game hitting streak.  If he can stick as the Rockies everyday 2nd basemen, and gets at bats at the top of the order like today, he has the skills to climb up the charts FAST.  

There aren't more than 5 players on waivers with his type of upside in 12 team + leagues.  Steals are hard to come by this year and 2nd base is VERY shallow.  I'm holding Sampson and Senzel to increase my chances of having a young 2nd basemen breakout this year.  If they both put up strong numbers, than there will be at least 1-3 teams in my league hurting for an impact 2nd basemen, netting my team a strong SP in return via trade.

All good points,although I can’t see Dahl getting anything close to 25 sbs.  These projections only work I feel mcmahon doesn’t exist.  He does, as does Murphy.  I’m not sure when McMahon willl be back and I,can’t find anything about him.

4 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

All good points,although I can’t see Dahl getting anything close to 25 sbs.  These projections only work I feel mcmahon doesn’t exist.  He does, as does Murphy.  I’m not sure when McMahon willl be back and I,can’t find anything about him.

Agreed. I like Hampson’s skill set. But the stars aligned and he has had the opportunity to take the job and run with it. He’s currently hitting .170 with a .184 OBP (.234 SLG). At some point he needs to take the job and run with it, or he will be out of a job once everyone gets healthy. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

Dahl will have to go a month, at minimum, before they let him run to prove he can stay in one piece, but I actually do need to temper expectations on him, you're right.  I'll say closer to 15 SB's for Dahl this season.  He's quick, and a great athlete, but this isn't the year to push him.

The abdomen issue doesn't seem to be anything serious.  Dahl's demeanor strikes me as a guy who truly believes he's a top hitter in baseball.  Short sample sizes of proven he's for real, but the constant injuries have robbed the fans of seeing what he really can do with regular at-bats.

As far as Hampson, I believe he's the future 2nd basemen of this club.  This Rockie's lineup looks best with him at the 2 spot in the order, allowing the 4-5-6 spots in the lineup to be occupied by their veteran, talented bats.