NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

2018 called. It wants Scott Kingery back. 

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, fingy said:

He has great speed and all but McMahon can hit too and he has power. Speed isn't valued in real life as much as in fantasy unfortunately.

Good thing defense and getting on base are.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fingy said:

He has great speed and all but McMahon can hit too and he has power. Speed isn't valued in real life as much as in fantasy unfortunately.

Speed is absolutely highly valued in the field, especially in a unique place like Coors that is both a large park and offensive due to altitude, range is highly important. 

It's nice that McMahon is hitting well in spring training again, exactly like he did last year, but the problem is that it hasn't translated to MLB caliber pitching in either contact ability nor approach. Maybe his spring stats are for real this year, but I'm not going to pass on Hampson because of it, especially when he's a superior fielder that can also play OF.

3 minutes ago, lazershow said:

So he's likely hitting 8th/9th if everyone is healthy and isn't guaranteed everyday playing time? tough to get excited about that.

Fair point, but if there no questions about those things his ADP would be significantly higher.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Speed is absolutely highly valued in the field, especially in a unique place like Coors that is both a large park and offensive due to altitude, range is highly important. 

It's nice that McMahon is hitting well in spring training again, exactly like he did last year, but the problem is that it hasn't translated to MLB caliber pitching in either contact ability nor approach. Maybe his spring stats are for real this year, but I'm not going to pass on Hampson because of it, especially when he's a superior fielder that can also play OF.

I think you are discounting the progress McMahon had late last year.  His bat is legit.

30 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I think you are discounting the progress McMahon had late last year.  His bat is legit.

september was mcmahon's worst month, statistically speaking.

.190/.227/.333

edit: not to appear disingenuous, august was his best month of the season, but i don't think it can be viewed as anything other than noise without sustained production. 

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Thanks 1

Today the Rockies are once again going with what looks like a pretty close representation of what their opening day lineup might look like and once again Hampson is on the bench with McMahon at 2B batting 7th.  I've been stashing Hampson because I need help at 2b, but now I'm wondering if I'm wasting a spot... or if I need to swap out him for McMahon.  

Edited by DFWSooner
6 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

Today the Rockies are once again going with what looks like a pretty close representation of what their opening day lineup might look like and once again Hampson is on the bench with McMahon at 2B batting 7th.  I've been stashing Hampson because I need help at 2b, but now I'm wondering if I'm wasting a spot... or if I need to swap out him for McMahon.  

some things never change... mets injuries and rockies lineup decisions.

1 hour ago, DFWSooner said:

As my draft is coming up, I’m seeing this as a blessing in disguise. I’ll always bet on skill set, and I believe in Hampson’s. If he’s not the opening day starter, he’s gonna come at a DEEP discount. And whether McMahon struggles, or China Dahl gets hurt again, or Desmond can’t get it done, I’m confident Hampson will get his opportunity. And when he does, I think he will be plenty productive. This here is a short term hit, but a long term boon IMO.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

As my draft is coming up, I’m seeing this as a blessing in disguise. I’ll always bet on skill set, and I believe in Hampson’s. If he’s not the opening day starter, he’s gonna come at a DEEP discount. And whether McMahon struggles, or China Dahl gets hurt again, or Desmond can’t get it done, I’m confident Hampson will get his opportunity. And when he does, I think he will be plenty productive. This here is a short term hit, but a long term boon IMO.

This.

As much as people make fun of the Rockies and young players,  it stems from this -- they put the best lineup on the field and play the players that play best, regardless of age or pedigree. If a young player comes up, he needs to earn PT through good playing time, they aren't going to trot you out there to stink up the joint and let you develop while the team suffers. 

Even if Hampson doesn't start March 28th, there's enough inconsistency in both health and playing time on that roster that he will get a line up slot sooner rather than later. And with his skill set, I see him holding the job once he gets it... if he doesn't play well enough you don't want him in your lineup anyway.

Hampson has excellent plate discipline, contact skills with pop, and speed to make an impact with a high likelihood of success IMO.

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

This.

As much as people make fun of the Rockies and young players,  it stems from this -- they put the best lineup on the field and play the players that play best, regardless of age or pedigree. If a young player comes up, he needs to earn PT through good playing time, they aren't going to trot you out there to stink up the joint and let you develop while the team suffers. 

They deserve the reputation, as they often spread the playing time to the vets. Hundreds of ABs have been given to Culberson, Barnes, Raburn, Descalso and Parra over the years.

Hampson has the talent to be a regular and get 600 ABs, but that is a longshot on the Rockies. You have to carry an additional bench bat to rotate which in not always possible.

Edited by itaos
  • Like 1

It all comes down to format with Hampson.  Daily moves he's 100% worth the price.  Weekly has a pretty substantial risk at pick 150.  

I don't think that price is dropping until there is a formal announcement.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lavaman said:

So hoping Hampson falls to me. It will be like Christmas if he does.

I grabbed Hampson in the 15th and followed up by handcuffing McMahon in the 20th. My worst nightmare is a split/ platoon/ or however it splits. 

21 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

In one of my leagues Hampson was picked at 159 . Round 10 

Wow, not sure I've seen him go that early anywhere as of yet.  I had thoughts drafting him around Round 16, but held off and thrilled to get him so late.

7 minutes ago, Jgcarolina said:

Wow, not sure I've seen him go that early anywhere as of yet.  I had thoughts drafting him around Round 16, but held off and thrilled to get him so late.

His adp in competitive leagues has been 160ish since March

14 hours ago, Chickie said:

I grabbed Hampson in the 15th and followed up by handcuffing McMahon in the 20th. My worst nightmare is a split/ platoon/ or however it splits. 

In daily transaction leagues, and if you've got the roster room for both, then that doesn't sound like a nightmare at all. You can use them each based on the that day's lineup, at least until the situation plays itself out.  In weekly transaction leagues, then yeah that would be tough.

Unfortunately I don't have room for both.  I need the help at 2B and have been stashing Hampson with McMahon still on the WW, but someone will snatch up McMahon quick if he wins the job. I'm tempted to make the move but I obviously feel that Hampson is the better talent, especially fantasy wise.

Edited by DFWSooner

He's not in the Rockies lineup again today. That means he hasn't made an appearance in the last 6 games for the Rockies. Not even off the bench. And the last time he did make an appearance, it was at the end of the game as a PR.  And a few of those were even split squad games!

I'm starting to wonder if he's even going to make the opening day roster. I haven't read that he's hurt so why is he not even getting ABs?  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

What are the odds they feel like they know what Hampson is, but want as much evaluation of McMahon as possible to see if it's "real." Seems unlikely, but maybe?

Yeah, I thought about that and I hope it's the case. But I still don't see why he couldn't get some ABs, even in split squad games?  And FWIW, Pat Valaika is getting the start today at 2B, with McMahon sitting as well.