NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

What are the odds they feel like they know what Hampson is, but want as much evaluation of McMahon as possible to see if it's "real." Seems unlikely, but maybe?

IMO odds are very low. I highly doubt any team would sit a likely or potential starter this deep into SP games. At this point hitters need to get their timing right and the windows is shrinking to get it done.

Plus here is Mcmahon's slash line this spring - 

.412 .462 .765 1.226
  • Like 1
  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that hates watching videos for 2 minutes and would rather read for 10 seconds;  bud black says "umm" about 1000 times and basically says that hampson and macmahon are trying hard.

2018 called. It wants Scott Kingery back. 

The Rockies objectively do not play their best players. Anyone who can read a Fangraphs page should be able to see that. You can't make the, "well you have to perform in order to play" argument while

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, roadawg said:

IMO odds are very low. I highly doubt any team would sit a likely or potential starter this deep into SP games. At this point hitters need to get their timing right and the windows is shrinking to get it done.

Plus here is Mcmahon's slash line this spring - 

.412 .462 .765 1.226

Hitters get rested all the time. Its still 2 full weeks from Opening Day, the breather should help him going forward. I'm sure the local beat there is questioning the same thing and nothing has come out, maybe he's getting his work on side fields. Could be a number of reasons, so hard to pick one without knowing the facts.

• Like 2

The most Rockies thing ever would be to put Hampson in a small-side platoon and then send him to AAA after he struggles while playing twice a week.  That's exactly the MO for that organization.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, Magoo said:

How about a four way platoon with constant late game subs so all 4 play everyday. Everyone in fantasy would support that no?

You should expect a call from Bud Black for a coaching spot

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, JFS179 said:

The most Rockies thing ever would be to put Hampson in a small-side platoon and then send him to AAA after he struggles while playing twice a week.  That's exactly the MO for that organization.

Are you suggesting he should thus start over Ryan McMahon? 

17 hours ago, JFS179 said:

This is exactly what screwed over McMahon for so long last year. They just need to pick one and run with them.

Taking out Blacmon’s 42 steals a few years ago, has a Rockie ever stolen 40? I don’t see more the 30 steal upside with Hampson at the most. Not really the best place to run into outs.

3 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Taking out Blacmon’s 42 steals a few years ago, has a Rockie ever stolen 40? I don’t see more the 30 steal upside with Hampson at the most. Not really the best place to run into outs.

When is last time the Rockies have had someone who could steal 30? Cargo stole 20 a year in his prime. Story literally just stole 27, which is higher then any of MILB totals.

Just don't with agree with this, by using some arbitrary end point. If they were against letting guys run wild who could do it. They would never let middle of the order hitters like Cargo/Story ever reach 20.

Colorado has traditionally relied on the 3-run HR. And for good reason. Having said that, if used properly, Hampson could be a huge weapon at the top of the lineup. OBP + Speed + at least average power + defense. Give it time to play out. i will admit that I generally dislike owning young players for Colorado and Tampa.   

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

This is exactly what screwed over McMahon for so long last year. They just need to pick one and run with them.

Of course - precisely.  Wouldn't be surprised to see both of them screwed by Desmond returning to 1B, Murphy sliding to 2B, and some retread being signed to play the OF.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

When is last time the Rockies have had someone who could steal 30? Cargo stole 20 a year in his prime. Story literally just stole 27, which is higher then any of MILB totals.

Just don't with agree with this, by using some arbitrary end point. If they were against letting guys run wild who could do it. They would never let middle of the order hitters like Cargo/Story ever reach 20.

Just looked it up 

Pierre had 40 a few times then the numbers went up in Miami. I just think any projections should discount for a park factor for a place with so many extra base hits. 

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

That's based on the players they've had, not the philosophy. Maybe they target those types less but if they have one they will run.

One of their beat writers, Thomas Harding, seems to think Hampson and McMahon will both start the season in the majors and play in the same game quite a lot; suspects both to play multiple positions.

1 minute ago, Sidearmer said:

That's based on the players they've had, not the philosophy. Maybe they target those types less but if they have one they will run.

That’s fair. Hampson’s high OBP plus speed hasn’t been seen there for a while. I just don’t trust it when that same speed will allow him to score from 1st on any extra base hit.

34 minutes ago, Magoo said:

That’s fair. Hampson’s high OBP plus speed hasn’t been seen there for a while. I just don’t trust it when that same speed will allow him to score from 1st on any extra base hit.

Trevor Story had 27 SB last year, and Hampson is much faster than him.

33 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Trevor Story had 27 SB last year, and Hampson is much faster than him.

Hampson was at 30.0 ft/sec good for 8th in the league.  Story’s not far behind at 29.6 ft/sec and 17th overall.  Definitely not “much” faster.  Using him as a comp I’d think 30 sbs is a solid expectation of hampson gets on base at a decent clip and plays the whole season.

that being said McMahon seems to be favored at 2nd right now so definitely getting a little worried about how many ABs hampson gets.  I think both will be “starters” moving around positions, but hard to imagine both reach 400-500 abs this year with an injury to a vet

• Like 2