NBC Sports Edge Forums

Willians Astudillo 2019 Outlook

I dont necessarily even think he needs an injury, the longer he proves he's a good hitter the less he needs injuries. Ignore his 800 average this year, if he's anywhere close to his numbers last year, that plays at almost any position, let alone catcher.

• Like 1
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amongst the leaders in the Winter League in OPS. Hasn't struck out.  If he can somehow find his way into the lineup 4-5 days a week with his catcher eligibility, he will be quite a useful player. Obvi

To be fair, Astudillo is also hitting his weight (.327)

Posted Images

Sometimes when you burn all your moves in the first 4 days it prevents you from doing stupid sh*t like dropping a dude who wasn't playing much. I've watched the entire game today, I have no idea how a team that could compete for a terrible division could justify keeping a guy like this out of the lineup. 

Edited by ComeSaleAway
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

they gotta find this guy more at bats...should be playing a diff position every night

I posted this earlier: They can move Marwin around and just leave Astudillo at 3B.

For the sake of example they could sit Schoop, play Marwin at 2B and Astud at 3B. Marwin could play 1B and Cron could sit. The possibilities are endless.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I posted this earlier: They can move Marwin around and just leave Astudillo at 3B.

For the sake of example they could sit Schoop, play Marwin at 2B and Astud at 3B. Marwin could play 1B and Cron could sit. The possibilities are endless.

i nominate you for manager of Minnesota

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tao brought up J.McNeil having more XBH than K's, which is a crazy stat and I had to see if anyone has ever done it. A few HOF's that I looked up have done it, but Willians seems like a prime prospect to do that as well. He's a points league dream catcher. 

• Like 2

Wanted to get the star on my feed for the Turtle.  Have had my eye on him for a while, and love the way he plays.  Strikeout rate is ridiculous.  Hard to believe he hasn't made a major impact in the majors yet.  Almost every prognosticator has him hitting 280+ ... that plays anywhere on the field.  

32 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

Wanted to get the star on my feed for the Turtle.  Have had my eye on him for a while, and love the way he plays.  Strikeout rate is ridiculous.  Hard to believe he hasn't made a major impact in the majors yet.  Almost every prognosticator has him hitting 280+ ... that plays anywhere on the field.  

280 doesn't play everywhere on the field with no walks. It started to come together for him in 2017 when he hit for more power. Hasn't slugged below 469. Now 469 slugging at catcher is basically gold. That's a pretty good slugging percentage anywhere really.  So elite hit tool with above power is really nice, certainly compensates for lack of walks.

In a 5x5 league, playing time is really the only thing preventing him from being a top 5 catcher. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

From Do-Hyoung Park's Twitter:

I asked Willians Astudillo whether he was in the market for a new helmet, since his current one keeps falling off.

"No, I'm getting hits with that one, so it's fine," Astudillo said through a translator.

• Haha 3

In points leagues that deduct points for strikeouts he is gold.  

I know it is a small sample size but last season in my league that does deduct for Ks he had more points per game than J.T. Realmuto.

• Like 1

It pays to be aggressive with catchers. It seems like every year there are 1-2 guys that end up top 7 catchers that either weren’t drafted or drafted late. If you miss while making a reach you can still find 80% production at any time on the waiver. Turtle is worth a shot simply because even if he plays 110 games or so that isn’t that far off what a full time catcher is going to play in the middle to bottom tier. 

• Like 2

Well, his next 5 games are in NL parks (3 @PHL / 2 @NYM). We should be able to learn a lot about his playing time going forward I assume in these games. If he starts 3 or more, I think he may be locked in for more playing time.

39 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Well, his next 5 games are in NL parks (3 @PHL / 2 @NYM). We should be able to learn a lot about his playing time going forward I assume in these games. If he starts 3 or more, I think he may be locked in for more playing time.

And if he isn't, we can continue understanding that a lot of these new managers around baseball are absolute idiots.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

It pays to be aggressive with catchers. It seems like every year there are 1-2 guys that end up top 7 catchers that either weren’t drafted or drafted late. If you miss while making a reach you can still find 80% production at any time on the waiver. Turtle is worth a shot simply because even if he plays 110 games or so that isn’t that far off what a full time catcher is going to play in the middle to bottom tier. 

I drafted JT , and this beast is outperforming the so called #1 Catcher in the game