NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

lobsterback

2 hours ago, I like baseball said:

I saw that yesterday on Alcantara as well.  I couldn't tell if that video of him hitting there was meant to be negative or positive.  I guess positive since his FV moved up but he already had a big leg kick coming in and now it looks more extreme.  I would have thought they would have wanted to quiet it down just a bit.  The raw tools are big and loud across the board so he's definitely going to be someone to watch over the next few years.

I think good

He's 16. Heard comps like Dexter Fowler and Cody Bellinger.  This will be a slow burn, but I think the upside will be there and plus points for him being a Yankees prospect, means he will be hyped better than whatever he is,.

Remember Thy Name

Wildred Patino. 17(about to turn 18), CF, Arizona. 

Toolsy and physical, Patino has an exciting combination of speed and power, as well as promising ball/strike recognition. What he appears to lack at this point is barrel control and a bat path that enables the power. Those are important components and may not be easy to fix, especially the bat control issue. But Patino’s ball/strike and breaking ball recognition could help mitigate those issues, and his ceiling (a high OBP center fielder with power) is lofty if they’re overcome. A max-effort player with a fairly mature build, Patino seems poised to have a strong statistical summer against AZL pitching and defenses, perhaps enough that he’ll see some Northwest League time late in the year.

This was the pre-season fangraphs blurb on him. He's started off hot in state-side rookie ball. 3XBH a few games in. Intresting to watch if he starts showing any signs of over-the-fence power. He's a nice deep league stash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think good

He's 16. Heard comps like Dexter Fowler and Cody Bellinger.  This will be a slow burn, but I think the upside will be there and plus points for him being a Yankees prospect, means he will be hyped better than whatever he is,.

He doesn't turn 17 until next month and MLB.com already list him at 6'6 190lbs.  You could still be looking at another 1-3 inches in growth.  His length may end up making a high K guy.

• Like 1

Damon Jones, SP, PHI is interesting. Just saw him included in a writeup on CBS:

he has gotten that first test against advanced competition, making his debut for Double-A Reading on Sunday, and passed it with flying colors, striking out 12 in six one-hit innings. So here's what more I can say about him: He's a big, strong left-hander with two breaking balls and a fastball that sits in the mid-90s who just in the last two months seems to have figured out how to command his arsenal, going from walking three or more in each of his first five starts to two or fewer in each of seven starts since. 

Looks like he's made some improvements in his command and his numbers look pretty stunning. He wasn't a starter until over a year ago.

His numbers this year are: 64.1IP, 1.54 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 25 BB and an insane 100 Ks

Edited by 12to6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Damon Jones, SP, PHI is interesting. Just saw him included in a writeup on CBS:

Looks like he's made some improvements in his command and his numbers look pretty stunning. He wasn't a starter until over a year ago.

His numbers this year are: 64.1IP, 1.54 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 25 BB and an insane 100 Ks

Made draw back is age and level, if he was younger super interesting. Still could be, but more skeptical.

28 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Made draw back is age and level, if he was younger super interesting. Still could be, but more skeptical.

Eh, in terms of the numbers themselves? I agree. Came out of the draft as a college lefty with a big fastball. At the time he only had an average curve ball and was projected as a RP. 

Not someone you need to jump on, but you'd be a fool not to keep a close eye on him. If any of this improvement has to do with improved secondary pitches, he just catapulted himself from generic RP prospect to legit SP. That is just how it can work for pitching prospects. That report just said he 2 breaking balls, but there was zero word if they were good.

So i'm not sure if this success is just coming from his fastball being un-hitable against inferior hitters of it or an improved pitch mix. The latter is what you want for his prospects, not the former. I'm TBD on him until i hear on the quality of his secondary pitches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Eh, in terms of the numbers themselves? I agree. Came out of the draft as a college lefty with a big fastball. At the time he only had an average curve ball and was projected as a RP. 

Not someone you need to jump on, but you'd be a fool not to keep a close eye on him. If any of this improvement has to do with improved secondary pitches, he just catapulted himself from generic RP prospect to legit SP. That is just how it can work for pitching prospects. That report just said he 2 breaking balls, but there was zero word if they were good.

So i'm not sure if this success is just coming from his fastball being un-hitable against inferior hitters of it or an improved pitch mix. The latter is what you want for his prospects, not the former. I'm TBD on him until i hear on the quality of his secondary pitches.

I certainly agree he needs to be kept tabs on closely. I'm just not as geeked as I would be. 

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I certainly agree he needs to be kept tabs on closely. I'm just not as geeked as I would be. 

8 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

There's a piece in the Athletic just days ago that profiles him in depth. Here's the link: https://theathletic.com/1035644/2019/06/19/the-buildup-to-a-breakout-lefty-damon-jones-pops-onto-the-phillies-radar/

He's refined his command a whole deal through simplification of his delivery and he added a changeup that he's comfortable with. I haven't been able to find much about his current repertoire or how it grades out, but here's a recent quote from his High-A manager:

The 6-5, 225-pound Jones, an 18th-round draft choice in 2017 from Washington State, is 2-3 with a 1.58 ERA in nine starts. The Inquirer’s No. 21 Phillies prospect, Jones has 69 strikeouts and 22 walks in 45 2/3 innings.  

“He has electric stuff, throws 95 from the left side with a good change and also has a good breaking ball,” Malloy said. “I don’t know how long he is going to be here, but he has really been fun to watch.”

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-minor-league-prospects-clearwater-alec-bohm-20190531.html 

Alexander Canario - he had some helium in his prospect status in the past.  He underwhelmed as an 18 year old last year in the AZL Rookie league, but if I recall he started off very cold and was able to salvage a .250 average.  This season, he's repeating the league and dominating thru the first 4 games.  He's 8 of 16, with two home runs, a triple, and two doubles.  Typically ranked around no.4 within the SF Giants system after Bart, Ramos, and Luciano.  Lots of power potential due to great bat speed and natural loft, but the hit tool is more of a question.  Plate discipline isn't that bad.  Ceiling is a middle of the order bat.  Nobody is talking about him yet, but if he continues this pace, he'll be popping up on lists and chats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 4:12 PM, Slatykamora said:

Remember Thy Name

Wildred Patino. 17(about to turn 18), CF, Arizona. 

Toolsy and physical, Patino has an exciting combination of speed and power, as well as promising ball/strike recognition. What he appears to lack at this point is barrel control and a bat path that enables the power. Those are important components and may not be easy to fix, especially the bat control issue. But Patino’s ball/strike and breaking ball recognition could help mitigate those issues, and his ceiling (a high OBP center fielder with power) is lofty if they’re overcome. A max-effort player with a fairly mature build, Patino seems poised to have a strong statistical summer against AZL pitching and defenses, perhaps enough that he’ll see some Northwest League time late in the year.

This was the pre-season fangraphs blurb on him. He's started off hot in state-side rookie ball. 3XBH a few games in. Intresting to watch if he starts showing any signs of over-the-fence power. He's a nice deep league stash.

Thanks for this mention. I've started keeping track of him and he looks very interesting.

• Thanks 1

Jhonkensy Noel, 17 Years Old, CIF, Cleveland Indians (Rookie Ball - AZL)

6'1" 180 pounds (looks bigger)

- - - Has now hit 12 HR in 69 games dating back to last year as a 16/17 year old. Off to a really good start in Rookie ball this year hitting 2 bombs in his first 5 games. His K/BB ratio through 20 PA looks intriguing if he can make any gains from last year. Looks like his ceiling could be a middle of the order guy. 

This is probably one of the most volatile times of the year to call out "sleepers" due to short season ball just starting but I'll take my shot anyway.

I was doing some rudimentary stat-line scouting this morning to explore what was going on in A- and lower. DSL is too low to evaluate for the most part since while guys can rake, more often than not it's players with no previous scouting projections or info on them. I was looking at some New York Penn (A-) league numbers and Gilberto Jiminez caught my eye. He's turns 19 in early July and is 5th in the NYP with a wRC+ of 200 and leads the NYP in BA with .440 clip (and .550 BABIP). His age for this level makes him stand out. The four players he trails in wRC+ are all 21-22 year olds and the most notable player comparing similarly (albiet not as strongly) as Jiminez is George Valera, a player who is gaining his own hype in the Indians organization.

He raked in the DSL last year and is one of the few guys I've found this year have went from DSL to skipping GCL/Arizona/Pioneer/App and going to A- instead. 

Him performing well in A- shouldn't be enough to separate him as a notable player. What differs with Jiminez is that he actually as some talent to him in the eyes of scouts. Fangraphs sees 80 speed in him with a 55 hit tool. He hit ~.320 with 14 SB in the DSL last season, substantiating this. Power is not his thing. He hasn't been projected to go yard and had 0 long balls in the DSL.

This is what Kiley and Longenhagen had to say about Jiminez in the beginning of the year, ranking him 15th in the Red Sox system before the season (now 17th with June Draft guys) :

Jimenez is a scout favorite and probably the highest-rated of the true sleepers on this list. The Sox 2017 international signing class is already paying dividends with Flores, Jimenez, Bello and Diaz all among the org’s top 20 prospects while none have played longer than a week in the GCL. Jimenez is described as a running back playing baseball due to his sneaky athleticism in a compact frame, his all-out style, and standout work ethic. Depending on whom you ask, he’s either a 70 or 80 runner, but his instincts on the bases and in the field aren’t up to snuff just yet. Since there isn’t much raw power presently, he plays more of a slap-and-dash, small-ball game that accentuates his speed. This limits his upside a bit, but when you look back at prospects who outplay their projections, scouts will often point to a name and tell you not to underrate plus athletes with plus makeup; we were aggressive in ranking Jimenez for that reason.

Soxprospects is in my opinion one of the better team-specific prospect sites out there and they said this about Jiminez:

Physical Description: Extremely loose and athletic. Projectable frame. Standout athleticism. 

Hit: Plus bat speed and very quick hands. Left-handed swing is a work in progress. Starts crouched and open. Uses a toe-tap. Swing is short and direct to the ball. Tends to slap at it, looking to put the ball in play rather than drive it. Swing is more fluid from the right side of the plate. Utilizes a leg kick and keeps the barrel in the zone longer. Generates more hard contact. Approach and pitch recognition are raw. 

Power: Not a major part of his game at present, but will flash some raw power from the right side of the plate. Swing is more designed for hard line drives in the gaps than over-the-fence power. 

Run: Plus-plus speed. Have timed around 4.0 seconds to first from the left side. Baserunning instincts, reads, and jumps need improvement. 

Field: Plus range and speed make up for lack of instincts. Jumps need work and needs to improve tracking the ball. 

Arm: Above-average arm strength. Plenty of arm for any outfield position.

Career Notes: Natrually a right-handed hitter, only started switch hitting during 2017 Dominican Instructional League. Still, hit better from the left side than the right in his pro debut. Participated in the 2018 Fall Instructional League.

Summation: One of the most exciting young outfielders in the system. Athleticism stands out. Shows potential for a plus hit tool to go along with plus-plus speed. Needs work defensively, but has the tools to develop into an above-average defender. Will flash four average tools at least, but very raw at present and has a long way to go developmentally. Possesses great work ethic. Can dream on him as a potential everyday player in the future, but years away from reaching his potential. 

I found two more articles that I wont get into detail on. The first details on Jiminez's progress last year and that he wasn't even worthy of being a J2 guyHe was signed in August of 2017 for only $10,000.

Another notes on his recent attempts of becoming a switch hitter and his overall progress last season.

There's a good amount of info on this guy. Way more than some other guys receiving hype recently (Luisangel Acuna for instance) but Jiminez has more than justified it. Everywhere I read he's been praised for his work ethic and no guy signed for $10k ever preforms this well. He has speed and has shown he can hit. He only has 20-30 PA in NYP so far but his walk rate is only at 3% I think. That's a concern. But still based off what I've read so far Gilberto Jiminez is definitely a name to keep an eye on.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 1.13.01 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

@Maxcd99

great name. The 35 FV game power is very concerning.  I don't care if the guy has 80 Speed, if he's not going to be at least a 45, very good chance it doesn't matter. Hopefully the fact that he's built like a running back helps that.  Surely in very deep dynasty he should probably be owned by someone as a flyer by now. His age for level is indeed great. Interested to see his stats in a couple weeks.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Tryptamine said:

So I'm really not sure what to make of him, but 26 year old infielder Robel Garcia is killing it since the Cubs signed him from his Italian team last year. In 222ABs between AA and AAA this year he's putting up a .304/.387/.624 line with 17HRs. The K% is a bit high, 29.7%, but if Daniel Descalso continues to be almost entirely useless then he might see some MLB time this year.

Up to 20 bombs now while sporting a .994OPS and still Descalso and his .185/.286/.274 line continues to get ABs. Such a shame.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2019 at 1:24 AM, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Miguel Vargas, CIF, Los Angeles Dodgers (A), 19 years old

This guy hasn't developed any power yet but he's got a decent frame to work with (listed 6'3" 205) and has a 15.1 BB% / 12.9 K% as a super young A ball player. Keep your eyes out for him if he adds pop. 

.320 / .425 / 142 wRC+ this season. 

Hop on him now if you haven’t already. 4 HR in his last 2 games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Hop on him now if you haven’t already. 4 HR in his last 2 games

I've owned him from the beginning of the year just because of the pedigree and the Dodgers organization. And I thought his past 2 games were a typo. Looks like they tapped his power. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 6:21 PM, 12to6 said:

I was reading FG's recap of Day 1 and I'm already drooling at the pitcher the Indians took in the first round, Daniel Espino. He's a little over 18 and this is what they had to say: 

Here's a really detailed (and good) scouting report on him, which only makes me want to pick him up even more:

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/5/14/18564286/scouting-report-on-2019-mlb-draft-prospect-rhp-daniel-espino

14 hours ago, 12to6 said:

He jumped out at me while watching video of this year's sp prospects.  Some don't like his arm action,  personally I'm okay with it.   And his interview during the draft would make anyone a fan of the kid. 

• Thanks 1

Certainly not the classic 'deep' sleeper (and no individual thread) but saw this note and thought it was interesting:

Jhoan Duran, RHP, Twins (45 FV to 50 fV):
Duran’s velo is up, with the right-hander sitting 95-99 now. The secondaries are good, as is the frame. He’s athletic, and strike throwing has improved but is still just okay. He could continue to rise if that aspect turns a corner, which is possible given Duran’s grace and body control.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:54 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I recognize this is from a month ago but still find it to be an interesting thought.

I feel that Age v Level is much more valuable on hitters than pitchers since pitchers can have things click pretty much whenever. Personally I think I'm a bit better at finding upside hitters than pitchers, mostly because it could very well be easier, but one mold of pitchers I typically analyze and am high on are pitchers with big frames and strong FBs.

What do Joey Lucceshi, Damon Jones, Joey Cantillo, Michael Kopech, and Nate Pearson all have in common? All five of them are 6'4" or taller (except Kopech) with average or plus FBs that to some degree or another were overlooked during their career for them being risky. Kopech and Pearson were late first rounders that have soared into T-100s after pitching well, Cantillo is conservatively a top 150-200 guy right now after being a 16th rounder, Lucceshi is a 5th rounder that now has had a solid start to his MLB career, and the book is still out on Jones, who was an 18th round pick. 

The difference with Jones and some of the others is that he's 24. I mentioned Cantillo and he's only 19. Jones was only drafted in 2017 and while he had a mediocre pro debut, he turned things around in 2018 and is watching his hype grow after outperforming expectations this season.

Even if Jones flames out, I guess my point is that these big build high velocity fast ball guys get a lot of hype and even if they are volatile assets as major leaguers, I feel that most owners looking in this thread can get value from just flipping these types of guys before their debut if the hype gets big enough. That alone, the flipping potential, justifies the pick up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maxcd99 said:

I recognize this is from a month ago but still find it to be an interesting thought.

I feel that Age v Level is much more valuable on hitters than pitchers since pitchers can have things click pretty much whenever. Personally I think I'm a bit better at finding upside hitters than pitchers, mostly because it could very well be easier, but one mold of pitchers I typically analyze and am high on are pitchers with big frames and strong FBs.

What do Joey Lucceshi, Damon Jones, Joey Cantillo, Michael Kopech, and Nate Pearson all have in common? All five of them are 6'4" or taller (except Kopech) with average or plus FBs that to some degree or another were overlooked during their career for them being risky. Kopech and Pearson were late first rounders that have soared into T-100s after pitching well, Cantillo is conservatively a top 150-200 guy right now after being a 16th rounder, Lucceshi is a 5th rounder that now has had a solid start to his MLB career, and the book is still out on Jones, who was an 18th round pick. 

The difference with Jones and some of the others is that he's 24. I mentioned Cantillo and he's only 19. Jones was only drafted in 2017 and while he had a mediocre pro debut, he turned things around in 2018 and is watching his hype grow after outperforming expectations this season.

Even if Jones flames out, I guess my point is that these big build high velocity fast ball guys get a lot of hype and even if they are volatile assets as major leaguers, I feel that most owners looking in this thread can get value from just flipping these types of guys before their debut if the hype gets big enough. That alone, the flipping potential, justifies the pick up.

This was exactly my point in the Spencer Howard thread.  If there is a concern about the guy, use the hype and leverage for something you can use and is more 'trusted'.  Bird in the hand....

Sure, there are going to be guys that do go on to have successful MLB careers, maybe even studs, but for everyone of those there are countless others that will flame out or not come up and immediately dominate.  In Fantasy, unless you have deep rosters that can tolerate the headaches of young pitchers let them be someone else's issue and take a really good piece, or a trusted piece if you can get it, imo, over that headache.

Edited by BigPapi44