NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 "Deep" Sleepers

18 yr old Blue Jays 3B Miguel Hiraldo picking up where he left off last year. This time in Appy league.

Hitting over 300 with low K rate. I am thinking his gap power will turn into more HRs relatively soon.

Might still be time to get onboard in some leagues out there. Choo choo

Edited by Byebyebalboni
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

deeper prospects that are hot right now: jake fraley lolo sanchez abraham toro jeremy pena alek thomas jonathan arauz brice turang lewin diaz (1b) will ben

probably time to do an update on some of the names i'm currently on as i troll the obscure fringes of prospect rankings. i'll break them up into categories and do a few separate posts, don't have time

Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but a guy I just picked up.   He's raking in AA and virtually unowned. Huge signing bonus guy too.    

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Byebyebalboni said:

18 yr old Blue Jays 3B Miguel Hiraldo picking up where he left off last year. This time in Appy league.

Hitting over 300 with low K rate. I am thinking his gap power will turn into more HRs relatively soon.

Might still be time to get onboard in some leagues out there. Choo choo

Still time?   His CBS ownership % is zero, ha. 

Do you have a tools scouting report.

Edited by 96mnc
  • Haha 1

Deep(er) Prospect Dives

Emerging talents worthy of watch list addition

Haven't seen many of the below mentioned previously..... 

Francisco Alvarez, C NYM

Aaron Bracho, SS CLE

Jonathan Stiever, SP CHW

Seth Corry, SP SF

Gabriel Moreno, C TOR

Adam Kloffenstein, SP TOR

Lewin Diaz, 1B MIA (He's baaaack on the radar..and perhaps better than ever)

Noah Song, SP Bos ('19 Amateur Draft)

Luis Frias, SP Ari

Jonathan Bowlan, SP KC

Jairo Pomares, OF SF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What’s funny is... I tend to find myself more interested and intrigued by the prospects in this thread than the ones in their own respective thread.  A lot of these players are just straight performers without the lofty draft history or physical projections and just don’t get the widespread love. Some are once heralded top prospects but derailed by injuries and forgotten about. While people are off chasing guys like Forrest Whitley, I’m fine with getting a guy like Bieber for free off the wire.  Love this thread and great call outs by everyone. 

Edited by bjvance5
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, F@ndemonium said:

Deep(er) Prospect Dives

Francisco Alvarez, C NYM

Aaron Bracho, SS CLE

Jonathan Stiever, SP CHW

Seth Corry, SP SF

Gabriel Moreno, C TOR

Luis Frias, SP Ari

Jonathan Bowlan, SP KC

Jairo Pomares, OF SF

Actually just added Frias in my 20 team dynasty league, as you said a deeper dive but he's definitely a guy to watch. Within the organization he went from unranked to #16 this year. This is some of MLB.com's write up on him - a part I left out: he started his career as a 3B!

"Frias is an imposing presence on the mound and heavier than his listed weight of 180 pounds, but he's also athletic for his size and has very loose arm action. There is effort in his delivery, however, and he'll struggle to repeat it at times, but club officials are quick to note the gains he's made on that front early in his career, and especially in 2019. There's impact starting pitcher upside if Frias can continue to refine his mechanics, develop a more consistent third pitch and refine his overall command. If not, the big right-hander could become a dynamic late-inning reliever with his fastball-curve combo."

On 7/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, Tryptamine said:

So following tonight's absolute insane performance it's time to add Brailyn Marquez to your list to watch. A lefty starter who hits 100MPH regularly and has a nasty slider to go with it. He lacks a third pitch at the moment, but both the upside and risk are very high.

The 20 year old put up the best game of his career tonight in A ball

6IP 1H 0ER 0BB 14K

He followed up his career best by throwing another gem.

6IP 0H 0ER 1BB 8K

• Thanks 1
On 7/30/2019 at 5:34 AM, F@ndemonium said:

Deep(er) Prospect Dives

Francisco Alvarez, C NYM

Aaron Bracho, SS CLE

Jonathan Stiever, SP CHW

Seth Corry, SP SF

Gabriel Moreno, C TOR

Luis Frias, SP Ari

Jonathan Bowlan, SP KC

Jairo Pomares, OF SF

Francisco Alvarez is a monster and deserves his own thread....  but let’s save him for those who aren’t too lazy to click on this thread.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Strike Three said:

Francisco Alvarez is a monster and deserves his own thread....  but let’s save him for those who aren’t too lazy to click on this thread.

I was about to comment this. Alvarez is definitely one of the better guys from the 2018 J2 class and has done nothing but hit. Super far away but I'm intruiged by his development

PCL all you want, but

Ty France is having a season for the ages, making a legit run at .400

El Paso: Now that he has enough official at-bats, Ty France leads all full season minor leagues in average (.396) and OPS (1.241). His slashline of .396/.475/.765 also paces all minor leaguers. In 66 games he has 24 home runs and 74 RBIs. Translated over a full minor league season (140 games) France would have 51 home runs and 166 RBIs. The last minor league player to hit .400 was Erubial Durazo, who hit .404 between Double-A and Triple-A with 24 home runs and 83 RBIs in 94 games. Durazo went on to play for the World Champion Diamondbacks in 2001. In 2011, Jose Altuve hit .389 between High-A Lancaster and Double-A Corpus Christi. The last player before Durazo to hit .400 was Aaron Pointer, who hit .401 as a Colt .45 minor leaguer in 1961. It should be noted that Pointer was an older brother of the Pointer Sisters.

Mostly just an interesting guy who could have an impact soon. Certainly more useful in deeper 5 OF leagues and NL Only. Might be up this year, if not, next.

Believe this is his first game with the giants AAA

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1

Even as a Cub fan I don't know much about him, but Jack Patterson got promoted to AA today after zooming through both A and A+ this year with a combined line of

66IP 37H 11ER 26BB 71K  1.50ERA and 2.65FIP.

Edited by Tryptamine

Joshua Rojas 2B AZ, the "other guy" in the Greinke deal is interesting. Four months ago a look at his fangraphs page is a 24 year old with a 99wRC+ in AA, pretty boring. Take a look today and he repeated AA for 44 games with a 167wRC+, hmmmm. No juiced balls in AA, but still a little old for the level at 24. Turned 25 about a month ago, and was called up to AAA shortly before that. How'd that go? A 136wRC+ in 53 AAA games with Houston. Has continued raking since coming to AZ in AAA, 2 doubles and a HR in 3 games. The BB/K has stayed consistent at each stop as well, and he consistently hits for a high average. His totals across all levels this year:

.330/.417/.592./1.009

21HR/33SB/31 doubles

.83 BB/K

In 100 games/397AB's

That's a 550AB pace of 29HR/46SB/43 doubles and the OPS over 1.000

A couple recent callups that are about the same age, Aristides Aquino and Travis Demeritte both have lower wRC+ than Rojas at AAA. Ty France who was mentioned above and Yordan Alvarez are the only guys younger than him that have outperformed him in wRC+ in 250+ PA's in AAA this year. 

The only problem is where he'll play. I've read he can play either corner OF spot, 3B, and 2B. With Escobar/Lamb/Walker/Marte/Peralta/Jones/Flores they already have 7 guys fighting for PT at those 4 positions, and Marte, Escobar, and Peralta are essentially guaranteed playing time. I think he may be next guy up if any of them get injured given his positional flexibility. They're 2.5 games(and 3 teams) behind the wild card, so if they slip a little further out maybe they sit Adam Jones some to look towards the future. Very murky situation for PT, but he's certainly making his case for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

Joshua Rojas 2B AZ, the "other guy" in the Greinke deal is interesting. Four months ago a look at his fangraphs page is a 24 year old with a 99wRC+ in AA, pretty boring. Take a look today and he repeated AA for 44 games with a 167wRC+, hmmmm. No juiced balls in AA, but still a little old for the level at 24. Turned 25 about a month ago, and was called up to AAA shortly before that. How'd that go? A 136wRC+ in 53 AAA games with Houston. Has continued raking since coming to AZ in AAA, 2 doubles and a HR in 3 games. The BB/K has stayed consistent at each stop as well, and he consistently hits for a high average. His totals across all levels this year:

.330/.417/.592./1.009

21HR/33SB/31 doubles

.83 BB/K

In 100 games/397AB's

That's a 550AB pace of 29HR/46SB/43 doubles and the OPS over 1.000

A couple recent callups that are about the same age, Aristides Aquino and Travis Demeritte both have lower wRC+ than Rojas at AAA. Ty France who was mentioned above and Yordan Alvarez are the only guys younger than him that have outperformed him in wRC+ in 250+ PA's in AAA this year. 

The only problem is where he'll play. I've read he can play either corner OF spot, 3B, and 2B. With Escobar/Lamb/Walker/Marte/Peralta/Jones/Flores they already have 7 guys fighting for PT at those 4 positions, and Marte, Escobar, and Peralta are essentially guaranteed playing time. I think he may be next guy up if any of them get injured given his positional flexibility. They're 2.5 games(and 3 teams) behind the wild card, so if they slip a little further out maybe they sit Adam Jones some to look towards the future. Very murky situation for PT, but he's certainly making his case for it. 

Yeah he was a great 'kicker' piece in that deal. He prob won't get any regular PT this Sept, but he's def one to watch for next year when Wilmer, Jones and Lamb are likely gone.

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah he was a great 'kicker' piece in that deal. He prob won't get any regular PT this Sept, but he's def one to watch for next year when Wilmer, Jones and Lamb are likely gone.

I would love to hear how that negotiation went down. Being that it was done about 7 seconds before the deadline, I could see both sides scrambling to assess whether to include/exclude someone, and Rojas could very well have been the guy that Houston finally gave in on. 

Jack Patterson, SP Cubs.  Turing 24 yrs old in August, the 6'0 210lb lefty was a 32nd rd pick in last year's draft.  He was just promoted to AA so it will be interesting if his stats translate to age-level.  He has yet to give up a HR in 66 innings.  Here are his numbers between Low A and High A:

LG LEVEL W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
Minors 2019 [-] - Minors 7 1 1.50 21 6 0 0 1 2 66.0 37 12 11 0 4 26 1 71 .164 0.95 2.16
South Bend MID A(Full) 5 1 2.34 16 1 0 0 1 2 42.1 29 11 11 0 0 18 1 47 .195 1.11 2.26
Myrtle Beach CAR A(Adv) 2 0 0.00 5 5 0 0 0 0 23.2 8 1 0 0 4 8 0 24 .104 0.68 2.00

Sorry for the format, just move the category on top over one.  66IP, 26BB, 71Ks, 1.50ERA, 0.95 WHIP.  Anyway, I don't think we are looking at a future ace but could be a guy that is useful for fantasy and one to watch and see if the breakout is for real.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ItsMeMario said:

Anybody have any info on 

Alec Bettinger SP Brewers ?

Great AA numbers ... What is his velocity on his pitches ? 

Per Fangraphs most recent update (on 07/21) he sits 89-92 and can touch 94. Looks like his only other real pitch is a decent curve. He's listed as a 35+ FV and is primarily getting by on his command right now. Not the highest ceiling, but could have solid back of the rotation stuff if he can develop a third usable pitch. He's 24 in AA, so not much by way of projection left.

Edited by Dark One
  • Thanks 1
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, 96mnc said:

Still time?   His CBS ownership % is zero, ha. 

Do you have a tools scouting report.

No report, but I have been hearing about him since this time last year.

Through 39 games in Rookie ball (Appy): .301/.352/.479, 12 2B, 3 3B, 5 HR, 10bb, 24K, 7 SB

Not bad for an 18 year old playing up.

• Like 1