NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 ADP

kidtwentytwo

22 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

don't think you could make a logical argument for taking acuna or bregman over jo ram but to each their own

My point is they are all fine and it really doesn't matter what order they are taken in.  As fantasy players there is way too much group think on players at times.  Any idea that is outside of the group is considered wrong.  Which I don't agree with.  You don't have to follow a Fantasy pros ranking sheet to build a winning team.  You can take any of the players inside of top 20 ahead of Ramierez and build a winning team.  That's my point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

My point is they are all fine and it really doesn't matter what order they are taken in.  As fantasy players there is way too much group think on players at times.  Any idea that is outside of the group is considered wrong.  Which I don't agree with.  You don't have to follow a Fantasy pros ranking sheet to build a winning team.  You can take any of the players inside of top 20 ahead of Ramierez and build a winning team.  That's my point.

there will be plenty of bust even in the top 20 so somebody is going to look really bad looking back on drafts (just in general)

see teams that took altuve, Kershaw, Stanton, Blackmon, Bryant over Mookie or the teams that took votto and Rizzo over lindor and jo ram or dee Gordon over bregman

still doesn't make it the correct pick

taking bregman over jo ram is how you let teams get two likely/potential top 5 players on the same team at the end of first rd (yelich, joram)

Edited by colepenhagen

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

taking bregman over jo ram is how you let teams get two likely/potential top 5 players on the same team at the end of first rd (yelich, joram)

...and then I'd grab Bregman and Harper in my next two picks and two potential top 5 players on the same tema.

Same difference, different preference. Point of the last 10 post.

33 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

...and then I'd grab Bregman and Harper in my next two picks and two potential top 5 players on the same tema.

Same difference, different preference. Point of the last 10 post.

bregman has zero chance to put up top 5 line. would take 20sb or 40 bombs and I don't think he has either

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

bregman has zero chance to put up top 5 line. would take 20sb or 40 bombs and I don't think he has either

Two years ago the same was thought about Ramirez.  He was a super late pick who nobody though would be great.  It's pretty obvious you are missing he point here. 

47 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

Two years ago the same was thought about Ramirez.  He was a super late pick who nobody though would be great.  It's pretty obvious you are missing he point here. 

no im really not. not every player has the same ceiling therefore some players have no chance to finish top 5. (see lindors line last year and goldys 2 years ago both fished as the 5th ranked bat) bregman doesn't have a realistic shot at a line like that.

now if you want to argue bregman is a safer bat over jo ram you really don't have an argument there either 

so if a player has a higher ceiling and higher floor wouldn't that make sense to draft that player first?

I understand player bias and drafting players you like or player you think will breakout and take another jump in value but I cant come up with anything to support taking bregman over jo ram

2 years ago jo ram finished as a fringe 1st rder. huge difference in value between top 15 and top 5 overall.

preseason last year jo ram was coming off a 29hr 17 sb 319 season  so yes it was pretty obvious that jo ram had a top 5 ceiling going into last year

Edited by colepenhagen

Been trying to talk myself out of J-Ram for my 3rd overall pick in an upcoming draft and can't do it. Bregman is nice with SS eligibility, and maybe he takes another step forward, but that seems like an unnecessary risk in redraft. It could pay off if you believe in pitchers figuring out Ramirez last year coupled with Bregman taking another step forward, but it's probably not the best bet.

For me it has a little less to do with Jo-Ram and more to do with the amazing glut of talent around there. Sure, Jo-Ram really struggled towards the finish line which has me worried, and I'm NOT a fan of that Cleveland line up, and with Lindor being somewhat injured it could be a disaster there. 

I'll pass on him in every draft and go for guys like JDM, Nolan Arenado, Acuna (Top 3 potential with Trout+Betts), Harper, Judge, Machado, Stanton (maybe), etc. 

1.) Love Bregman as hitter. If you think him and Jo Ram will steal the same(I don't). The argument is there, but that is 1 guy, not 10+

2.) Mookie Betts BABIP jumped by literately 100 points and after he came back from the DL. He hit 15 HRs in a 4 month period. There is zero questions about mookie not being a top 2 talent despite the fact the BA and HRs could very well regress.  Yet we put Jo Ram in this pool where guy at 3rd pick or 20th pick. Not totally balanced. Since Jo Ram has been a top hitter in 5X5 for 2 straight years. In his prime, and healthy. (I prefer Mookie still of course)

3.) Pitchers did legit figure out him in the 2nd half. The problem is assuming that a hitter with his pedigree as a pure hitter. Won't counter adjust. Baseball is a constant game of cat and mouse between pitchers and hitters. Its just a matter survivor bias. The guys who stay, are here because they know how to counter adjust. He wouldn't have done what he's done for 2 years if he could be figured out permanently.  He doesn't need to hit anywhere near 39 HRs again to make the most sense as 3rd overall pick/top 10.

4.) Its all opinion. You can hold any opinion you want, and i can hold an opinion that your opinion is not very steeped in rationality. This isn't constructive and was literally responding to a poster saying he hasn't heard a rational argument that could convince him. You can't change someones opinion if they are not open to it no matter what you say. So i responded in an intentionally close minded POV.

5.) Ends don't justfy the means.

Edited by Slatykamora

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

For me it has a little less to do with Jo-Ram and more to do with the amazing glut of talent around there. Sure, Jo-Ram really struggled towards the finish line which has me worried, and I'm NOT a fan of that Cleveland line up, and with Lindor being somewhat injured it could be a disaster there. 

I'll pass on him in every draft and go for guys like JDM, Nolan Arenado, Acuna (Top 3 potential with Trout+Betts), Harper, Judge, Machado, Stanton (maybe), etc. 

Sure, if you are the type of de-emphize SBs value. Or don't think he steals much next year?   I totally get where you are coming from. Non of those guys you listed besides acuna has his SB projection. That is crux of Jo Ram being ahead of a lot of guys who are in a vaccum. Could be better at R/HR/RBI and BA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

What’s everyone using as a guideline in reference to rankings or AdP? (i.e. past several years I’ve used fantasypros)

Thats what I’ve used for the last 4 years. Composite rankings and ADP are far better than just using one site that only includes the opinions of a single writer or two. I take those rankings then adjust individual players as I see fit after digging into them on fangraphs.

Edited by BostonCajun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Thats what I’ve used for the last 4 years. Composite rankings and ADP are far better than just using one site that only includes the opinions of a single writer or two. I take those rankings then adjust individual players as I see fit after digging into them on fangraphs.

Any idea what the date range is that they’re using for their data? I like the NFBC ADP site since I can shrink the range to the past 7-10 days. Is there a way to do it on Fantasy Pros?

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Any idea what the date range is that they’re using for their data? I like the NFBC ADP site since I can shrink the range to the past 7-10 days. Is there a way to do it on Fantasy Pros?

I don’t believe there’s a way to do that on fantasypros. They just show when it was last updated. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Been trying to talk myself out of J-Ram for my 3rd overall pick in an upcoming draft and can't do it. Bregman is nice with SS eligibility, and maybe he takes another step forward, but that seems like an unnecessary risk in redraft. It could pay off if you believe in pitchers figuring out Ramirez last year coupled with Bregman taking another step forward, but it's probably not the best bet.

Good conversation as I'm in the exact same boat sitting on the #3 pick in a big money league. I just don't think I can select J-Ram at #3. His 2nd half combined with the Cleveland lineup and Lindor not being 100% has me looking in another direction. Luckily I still have a few weeks to decide. 

For what it's worth... Yahoo updated their rankings... they have Jo-Ramirez at Rank 10. 

Not that shocking to me, but likely shocking to those in this thread that were against the idea of Jo-ram out of the top 5. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, meh2 said:

Nfbc still has severino at 36 in the last two days so they are useless as well

11 hours ago, quietj said:

Good conversation as I'm in the exact same boat sitting on the #3 pick in a big money league. I just don't think I can select J-Ram at #3. His 2nd half combined with the Cleveland lineup and Lindor not being 100% has me looking in another direction. Luckily I still have a few weeks to decide. 

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

For what it's worth... Yahoo updated their rankings... they have Jo-Ramirez at Rank 10. 

Not that shocking to me, but likely shocking to those in this thread that were against the idea of Jo-ram out of the top 5. 

Let me know what you decide @quietj, my draft is on the 20th,  outside of injury or someone in front of being stupid, I'm going Ramirez for 5x5, its a roto league too so cant really punt steals. I lean towards pitchers having not figured him out, and he just had a rough second half made worse by BABIP issues. Feel like he's a safe 5 category guy and a plus/plus plus contributor in the 2 hardest ones (steals/avg)

Edited by brockpapersizer

I don't know where to ask this. this is more about auction than ADP.

is there a way to calculate who is the better value based on auction price?

player A could have better numbers than player B but cost more $$. player B could end up being the better value costing less and using that $$ elsewhere.

58 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know where to ask this. this is more about auction than ADP.

is there a way to calculate who is the better value based on auction price?

player A could have better numbers than player B but cost more $$. player B could end up being the better value costing less and using that $$ elsewhere.

It's simple. Just calculate value above an average replacement player.

7 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

It's simple. Just calculate value above an average replacement player.

what would that be for fantasy? I know WAR is wins above replacement, but that includes defense which doesn't help for fantasy that only uses offense.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:07 AM, CrypTviLL said:

that's because behrans skews it with his 21 overall rank

don't think anyone said anything about jo ram not being able to fall outside the top 5 (I sure didn't as you can easily make a case for jdm and Arenado and others) I just am really against taking bregman over joram. but w.e hope that happens in my league