NBC Sports Edge Forums

Paul Goldschmidt 2019 Outlook

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It won't help him individually per ball park I don't think but may help him with the better line-up as in more RBIs.   Adding Goldy one year on his contract means St Louis is going all in th

He should be good for 15 HR against the reds alone

Immediate downgrade as he won't be able to blast balls into orbit against the Giants all season long.

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Anyone worried about Goldy switching teams, age, the decline we saw in the first half last year?

Team switch - not so much. He stays in the same league, and aside from Greinke he doesn't have to worry much about dealing with the team he left. 

Decline - yeah. Only to the extent I'll take Freeman above him though. He is still an elite option @ 1B imo. I could see myself taking Hoskins over him because of the OF eligibility in Y! but Goldy is never around late enough for me to have to make that decision.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

Anyone worried about Goldy switching teams, age, the decline we saw in the first half last year?

Age and switching teams? It is a concern but he is a skilled batter, not just a hacker. He is also playing for another contract.

Last year first half slump should be a non issue.

Edited by itaos
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Read an article last year a few weeks in after he turned it around about how they found a hole in his swing.  After addressing it, we know what happened.  Not saying he’s going to be top 5 overall.  But I love getting him in the second round.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Paulie want a bag?

giphy.gif

Cards offense is rolling so there is no reason for him to steal. Though as a fantasy owner that would be nice. Schlidt has shown he will be aggressive with his team on the base paths at times but yet to see that with goldy due to Dejong/Ozuna raking behind him. 

Edited by Helms
11 hours ago, Helms said:

Cards offense is rolling so there is no reason for him to steal. Though as a fantasy owner that would be nice. Schlidt has shown he will be aggressive with his team on the base paths at times but yet to see that with goldy due to Dejong/Ozuna raking behind him. 

Yeah, and even without DeJong and Ozuna killing it behind him, the days of Goldy being much of a SB threat are clearly over.  The writing was on the wall last season when he only attempted 11 steals.  He'll get a handful eventually, as even Ozuna does, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the same total as last season.

On a better note, it's nice to see him killing it at the plate right now.  It had been a strangely frustrating start so far, as he did very little outside of the occasional HR after his epic performance during the second game of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

He's turned into a strikeout machine.  

I know he started off horribly last season, but he's actually been worse this season.  At least last season he had a really good April before having quite possibly the worst month of his career in May.  If it wasn't for him having roughly one good week twice so far this season, his line would be downright scary to even look at.

I know you see 9 HRs and wonder how one can complain too much, but he hit 3 of those in one game, and he's now up to 10 games in a row without an RBI.  A couple of good weeks shouldn't hide how bad he's been the rest of the season so far.

Will he get it going eventually?  It'd be surprising if he doesn't, but I wouldn't fault anybody for being very frustrated with him right now or even considering trying to trade him right now.  If nothing else, the ridiculously extreme inconsistency owners have had to endure so far this season has been frustrating and a bit confusing.  It's hard to endure stretches where you get pretty much nothing at all for multiple weeks.

1 hour ago, umphrey said:

Looks like he misses AZ

Arizona pre-humidor maybe. 😉  He did get better there as the season went along, but his home splits were still pretty bad in the end.

I really can't explain this season for him.  Just an early season slump like last season could be used as an excuse, but he's had a great couple of weeks mixed in and now has literally done nothing for a week and a half, so I'm just going to leave it as I can't explain it.

Like I said last night, I figure he gets going at some point, but not even driving anybody in for 10 straight games is not something you expect from arguably the #1 1B and a second round pick coming into the season.  As much as it pained me to do it, I moved on from him already.  I can't have a guy holding my team back that much for an extended period even this early in the season.  He was really dragging my stats down.