NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyler Murray OF OAK

6 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He can still end up playing baseball depending on when and if he flames out in the NFL, if within 2-3 years he can't play at the NFL level, he can always try baseball again

You think he'd go back to the A's with 0 for a signing bonus while making MiLB money after being in the NFL?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean, there's a court between basic federal and the Supreme Court, it's very hard to get to the Supreme Court, there's absolutely no guarantee it would be appealed twice let alone even taken to cour

God i hope he picks football so that i can watch this thread burn and see someone eat crow   

Brock you need to understand that these are opinions based on the past.  The MLB has already had a similar lawsuit against his father in a less liberal state.  California would love to hear a case suc

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

No pick compensation whatsoever...they'll get most (if not all) their cash back and retain his rights. Tough break, esp after they took the kids request to play college ball.

Grand scheme it's not a real big deal to the A's, they most certainly are not going after the kid for anything.

Yup, no big deal for the A's to lose 200k along with a top 10 pick when they are a small market team right... 

25 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

You think he'd go back to the A's with 0 for a signing bonus while making MiLB money after being in the NFL?

As opposed to.................flipping burgers?

Yes i think he would

Mr. Tim Tebow did it

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

As opposed to.................flipping burgers?

Yes i think he would

Mr. Tim Tebow did it

Tim Tebow did it after not only getting 1st round money, but also making millions as a broadcaster.  His MiLB contract is also a ton more than Murray would be receiving because of his fandom.  He's making 100k a year as a minor leaguer.

22 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Tim Tebow did it after not only getting 1st round money, but also making millions as a broadcaster.  His MiLB contract is also a ton more than Murray would be receiving because of his fandom.  He's making 100k a year as a minor leaguer.

I think you missed the point (Murray is projected easily 1st round not sure why you even mentioned that point honestly)

Murray fails in the NFL............what do you think he does? starts a 9-5 job? 

or he becomes a Pro MLB player? (after making millions the NFL as a first round pick)

Most logical people prefer the Pro sports avenue especially having made millions already (Tebow was never even a top 10 college prospect like murray, so for arguments sake Murray has potential for a real MLB future unlike tebow, wont be a PR stunt but legit talent)

but hey if you prefer McDonalds then how bout fixing that dang ice cream machine finally haha

Curious why you think he WOULDN'T try and play baseball if he flakes out of the NFL? Tired of playing pro sports? man what a life hah

Edited by kmoore1521
10 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

I think you missed the point (Murray is projected easily 1st round not sure why you even mentioned that point honestly)

Murray fails in the NFL............what do you think he does? starts a 9-5 job? 

or he becomes a Pro MLB player? (after making millions the NFL as a first round pick)

Most logical people prefer the Pro sports avenue especially having made millions already (Tebow was never even a top 10 college prospect like murray, so for arguments sake Murray has potential for a real MLB future unlike tebow, wont be a PR stunt but legit talent)

but hey if you prefer McDonalds then how bout fixing that dang ice cream machine finally haha

Curious why you think he WOULDN'T try and play baseball if he flakes out of the NFL? Tired of playing pro sports? man what a life hah

Projections /= reality.  The advisory committee also projected him going late 2nd/early 3rd.  He may be in the 1st due to positional scarcity, but that's not a guarantee by any means.  Well let's see why he wouldn't play baseball.  First, no signing bonus now.  Second, he could end up making near the MiLB minimum since there would be definite bad blood, which can be as low as $7,500 a year.  Third, he goes from team planes and being pampered in the NFL to long bus rides.  Very few players, even when they completely flame out in one sport try for the minors in another sport.  You get used to some things.

14 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Projections /= reality.  The advisory committee also projected him going late 2nd/early 3rd.  He may be in the 1st due to positional scarcity, but that's not a guarantee by any means.  Well let's see why he wouldn't play baseball.  First, no signing bonus now.  Second, he could end up making near the MiLB minimum since there would be definite bad blood, which can be as low as $7,500 a year.  Third, he goes from team planes and being pampered in the NFL to long bus rides.  Very few players, even when they completely flame out in one sport try for the minors in another sport.  You get used to some things.

Very few players get drafted 1st round in 2 sports dude, let alone flaking out in the one they pick, your comparing a lifetime football player switching to baseball to a top 10 MLB draft pick going back to baseball 3 years later

1.) he doesnt need a signing bonus, he is a millionaire from getting drafted in the 1st round of the NFL

2.) this is complete opinion on what the A's will do, how murray would look in baseball workouts, etc etc so no real merit here

3.) yes minors sucks, but again he was a top 10 talent, hes a competitor and a great athlete no reason not to go back, your assuming he is a diva who wont want to work hard anymore and go through the grind to get back on top

He may want to sit at home and count his millions, maybe do some guest appearances etc etc, but i would bet a large sum he would not

Edit: Your telling me A's wont take a gamble on a guy they wasted a 9th overall pick on to see if he can become something of use? they arent giving a minimum to be spiteful 

Edited by kmoore1521
1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

What else would he do if he can't make it in football. If he's cut I 3 years. He will be 23. What's he going to do for the rest of his life. Might as well go back to baseball and try it. He might have to play in the minors for a while but if he's good enough he can make a good living if he gets to the big leagues

31 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Very few players get drafted 1st round in 2 sports dude, let alone flaking out in the one they pick, your comparing a lifetime football player switching to baseball to a top 10 MLB draft pick going back to baseball 3 years later

1.) he doesnt need a signing bonus, he is a millionaire from getting drafted in the 1st round of the NFL

2.) this is complete opinion on what the A's will do, how murray would look in baseball workouts, etc etc so no real merit here

3.) yes minors sucks, but again he was a top 10 talent, hes a competitor and a great athlete no reason not to go back, your assuming he is a diva who wont want to work hard anymore and go through the grind to get back on top

He may want to sit at home and count his millions, maybe do some guest appearances etc etc, but i would bet a large sum he would not

Edit: Your telling me A's wont take a gamble on a guy they wasted a 9th overall pick on to see if he can become something of use? they arent giving a minimum to be spiteful 

Your whole premise is based upon him going in the 1st round of the NFL.  That's nowhere near a given.  If he gets drafted around 54th in this draft he has officially lost money.  At that point his ENTIRE 4 YEAR CONTRACT would be less than just his signing bonus for the A's...  If that happens, we may just see a player choose baseball 100%, football 100%, then baseball 100% again in the media in the matter of months.

I can't bring myself to read through all of the legal/contract posts, but I really don't see the big deal with Murray playing football. Personally, I don't think Murray is that great of a baseball prospect. He reminds me of an incredibly athletic basketball wing that is amazing on paper and flashes extreme potential, but can't shoot. Murray is a freak athlete, but can he actually play baseball at an insanely high, MLB worthy level? I am not sold and I think he is making a good decision to pursue football.

Murray has zero chance of playing both sports at an elite level. He just isn't that elite at baseball and he has a steep learning curve to overcome that will be neglected while learning to play one of the most demanding positions in all of sports, NFL QB. The A's aren't suing Murray for anything unless they can't recoup the signing bonus. It is embarrassing that the A's handled the situation the way they did and didn't do enough background/due diligence on him. They allowed him to play football and that led to this reality.They won't want to drag this out. I just struggle to see this being a massive legal battle. The MLB and NFL seasons overlap. End of story. 

No one knows much about what Murray actually wants to do with his athletic life. My guess is Kyler doesn't even know and is heavily influenced by his circle. I just hope money isn't high on his priority list. Both paths offer financial freedom if handled with financial care. It would just suck to go to work instead of showing up every day to play a game. Hopefully he chooses the sport he loves and not the one that will turn into a job. Either way, he will make enough money if he is smart. 

• Like 3

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/as-not-giving-up-on-kyler-murray-which-could-complicate-his-nfl-prospects/

according to this article the A's are continuing to show interest in Murray, which IMO is just a ploy to potentially scare off NFL suitors. and by that i mean, i don't think the A's have any real interest in giving Murray more money than they already offered, but if they fake this interest well enough and it's known the A's can outbid any NFL team's draft compensation, NFL teams are likely to be gun-shy when investing valuable capital in him (i.e., high round draft pick).

this screams FU from the A's to Murray IMO. as noted by a few different posters in this thread, he's not an elite prospect in baseball, so why would the A's be willing to invest an extraordinary amount of money in him? 

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

this screams FU from the A's to Murray IMO. as noted by a few different posters in this thread, he's not an elite prospect in baseball, so why would the A's be willing to invest an extraordinary amount of money in him? 

I think he's actually a pretty damn solid prospect. I think people have subtly moved them down their boards in FYPD because of the Football fear which is obviously now bankrupting his Dynasty Stock.  He slashed 296/.398/.556 in Oklahoma with 10 homers and 10 steals in like 50 games after playing football last year.  Those are pretty great numbers for a guy who hasn't dedicated himself to baseball fully. Additionally, I heard quite a few scouts say he has tremendous tools and has really impressed based on the little instruction and reps he's had compared to other players. He's also a tremendous athlete...obviously.

He is far from a 100% sure thing  prospect, but I'd argue most players taken in the first round of your FYPD are in that same category (if not every single one).  He seems pretty elite to me in terms of a draft prospect.  If football wasn't a concern, he'd be a first rounder for me in FYPD. He's exciting, he has a name, and he has tremendous upside. Based on how much a player like this could pay for a team during his cost controlled years, I dont think throwing down another 5 million on top of the 5 million they gave him would have been insane to do.  

Basically, I disagree with the notion he's not an elite prospect. He's not elite in terms of comparing him to guys we've seen play at multiple levels like Vlad, Tucker, etc.  He's pretty elite in terms of players drafted last year which could lead to being elite in the former.

I'm glad it didn't work out, because now Football seems close to a 100% reality, but last week I was trying to get a pick in the 3rd round of my FYPD in hopes there was a 25% he would play baseball and thus getting me 1st round pick at an extreme discount.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

I have seen rumors of the Cardinals trading out of the first pick or even trading Josh Rosen because Kingsbury is a huge believer in Murray. Can't remember if it was mentioned here or not but Kingsbury said in back in October that he would draft  Murray #1 if he had the first pick. I saw he came out recently clarifying that but still. I believe the guy likes Kyler. Could easily trade the first pick and move back a few spots and gain picks while still drafting Murray. 

11 minutes ago, Bips_braves said:

I have seen rumors of the Cardinals trading out of the first pick or even trading Josh Rosen because Kingsbury is a huge believer in Murray. Can't remember if it was mentioned here or not but Kingsbury said in back in October that he would draft  Murray #1 if he had the first pick. I saw he came out recently clarifying that but still. I believe the guy likes Kyler. Could easily trade the first pick and move back a few spots and gain picks while still drafting Murray. 

Cardinals have already refuted they will trade Rosen and draft Murray.  They wouldn't get more than a 4th round pick for Rosen after what he did last season.  Seems like a waste of a 10th overall pick, especially when they traded the 15th overall pick, a 3rd and a 5th to move up to get Rosen in the first place.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, thezing1 said:

I can't bring myself to read through all of the legal/contract posts, but I really don't see the big deal with Murray playing football. Personally, I don't think Murray is that great of a baseball prospect. He reminds me of an incredibly athletic basketball wing that is amazing on paper and flashes extreme potential, but can't shoot. Murray is a freak athlete, but can he actually play baseball at an insanely high, MLB worthy level? I am not sold and I think he is making a good decision to pursue football.

Legal contracts?  Let me give you the short of it.  He signed a contract.  He broke it.  He lied.  He cost Oakland the 10th player in the whole freaking draft which is a huge loss for a small market team like the A's.  He makes off with nearly $200,000 of his bonus money in tow for doing nothing for the A's but shafting them.  He tweeted his decision and couldn't be bothered to tell the A's ahead of his tweet because he wasn't man enough to.  He is scum without a thimbleful of ethics to his name.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
23 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/11/as-not-giving-up-on-kyler-murray-which-could-complicate-his-nfl-prospects/

according to this article the A's are continuing to show interest in Murray, which IMO is just a ploy to potentially scare off NFL suitors. and by that i mean, i don't think the A's have any real interest in giving Murray more money than they already offered, but if they fake this interest well enough and it's known the A's can outbid any NFL team's draft compensation, NFL teams are likely to be gun-shy when investing valuable capital in him (i.e., high round draft pick).

He's not an elite prospect in baseball but was picked 9th overall while player 2x less baseball than any other draftees ?

8 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Think its a given hes going first round at this point 

Absolutely. He won't get past MIA. So he will be getting a ton more guaranteed $ with a much better chance at huge QB money in 4-5 years...he was very raw as a baseball player and was looking at several years of minor league development (and riding buses)...I -for one- don't begrudge the kid one single bit for what he's doing...he didn't force OAK to draft him. Tough luck Billy. He found a job that'll pay him a bunch more and is what he wants to do.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Legal contracts?  Let me give you the short of it.  He signed a contract.  He broke it.  He lied.  He cost Oakland the 10th player in the whole freaking draft which is a huge loss for a small market team like the A's.  He makes off with nearly $200,000 of his bonus money in tow for doing nothing for the A's but shafting them.  He tweeted his decision and couldn't be bothered to tell the A's ahead of his tweet because he wasn't man enough to.  He is scum without a thimbleful of ethics to his name.

None of this speaks to legality, just emotion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Absolutely. He won't get past MIA. So he will be getting a ton more guaranteed $ with a much better chance at huge QB money in 4-5 years...he was very raw as a baseball player and was looking at several years of minor league development (and riding buses)...I -for one- don't begrudge the kid one single bit for what he's doing...he didn't force OAK to draft him. Tough luck Billy. He found a job that'll pay him a bunch more and is what he wants to do.

He may make it past MIA depending on what they are looking for in a QB.  Supposedly Broncos are now out on picking a QB in the first round after trading for Flacco.

15 hours ago, Bips_braves said:

15 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Cardinals have already refuted they will trade Rosen and draft Murray.  They wouldn't get more than a 4th round pick for Rosen after what he did last season.  Seems like a waste of a 10th overall pick, especially when they traded the 15th overall pick, a 3rd and a 5th to move up to get Rosen in the first place.

Cardinals want to keep everyone thinking that anything is on the table.