NBC Sports Edge Forums

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Bryce did hit a warning track shot, maybe he’s heating up. And as far as putting fans in seats he’s more likely to turn fans off and make them want to stay home and do yard work if he keeps this up. 

Fans are going to the park if the team is winning (regardless of how Harper is doing).  Once the team starts losing, fans won’t show up.  Hopefully Harper isn’t putting too much pressure on himself.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol I understand some of the criticisms of Bryce and his approach, but to pretend he’s not completely driven to be great and that he’s the “kind of guy who would settle for sitting on the bench for 13

Posted Images

12 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

About as much as Pat Burrell did.  Philly will turn on him quickly if he doesn't get it together.  

this is true. the Yankees were booing Stanton after a month last year. Philly sports fans are pretty rough. the whole talk about a player is "entering their prime at 27" is a problem. yes a lot players do breakout or have their best seasons then however its a narrative that lets people in their late 20s get signed to large long terms deals. I suppose it all has to do with what have you done, not what can you do.

Edited by mlb2019
10 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

this is true. the Yankees were booing Stanton after a month last year. Philly sports fans are pretty rough. the whole talk about a player is "entering their prime at 27" is a problem. yes a lot players do breakout or have their best seasons then however its a narrative that lets people in their late 20s get signed to large long terms deals. I suppose it all has to do with what have you done, not what can you do.

They booed Stanton during their first home stand

29 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Absolutely unstartable right now . 

Totally. You might as well just drop him. Can't believe you and the other guy in your league roster players this bad!

Edited by cs3
6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Totally. You might as well just drop him. Can't believe you and the other guy in your league roster players this bad!

Ok lets not pretend he hasn’t been ****e. I’ll never bench either but he’s been horrible

• Like 1

There are plenty of situations where he could be benched right now. I was going to bench him tonight and roll with Pham, Polanco, and Pence at OF and Devers at util, but Polanco isn't starting. Hunter F'ing Pence over Bryce Harper... What a time to be alive.

Bryce really is a tough start right now. He's been awful for the past month. A mental DL stint would probably serve him well.

I’m sorry but there are options out there that is better than .222 avg right now .Im not sitting him in a weekly league but in a daily I’m absolutely sitting him until he figures it out . 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NolanRyan said:

I don't know what kind of league you would have to be in to not Start Bryce Harper in either your OF spots or UTIL

Well, I own Harper in 12 team 4 OF and I have benched him twice the last week. Wednesday & Sunday. 

He has been pitiful..

On 5/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, bradwatson said:

There are plenty of situations where he could be benched right now. I was going to bench him tonight and roll with Pham, Polanco, and Pence at OF and Devers at util, but Polanco isn't starting. Hunter F'ing Pence over Bryce Harper... What a time to be alive.

Bryce really is a tough start right now. He's been awful for the past month. A mental DL stint would probably serve him well.

Hope y'all sat him today :)

Philly fan checking in. For everyone that says we overpaid him, I think maybe on guaranteed money yes, but if you consider the 25 million AAV, and the way inflation and contracts keep trending up, guys like Cesar Hernandez will be making 15-20 million per year at the tail end of that contract. It will look progressively better, not worse, as time goes on. 

On 5/16/2019 at 6:08 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's currently tied with Gallo for the most strikeouts (57) in baseball. He's on pace for 225 strikeouts, which would set a new record. I doubt this will happen, but it's highly concerning.

And 2nd most walks. What a weird season. I still think he finishes with 35HR, 100rbi, 100r, 5sb and a BA around .250... Still going to be unreal in OBP leagues (and OPS leagues), but this is why people on this forum have been saying we shouldn't draft him in the 1st. :(

16 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

And 2nd most walks. What a weird season. I still think he finishes with 35HR, 100rbi, 100r, 5sb and a BA around .250... Still going to be unreal in OBP leagues (and OPS leagues), but this is why people on this forum have been saying we shouldn't draft him in the 1st. :(

OPS league here...no complaints from me.

• Like 1

The funny thing about fantasy baseball is that sometimes even when a player has a sluggish month or two, the final numbers still wind up where everyone expected they would and it just means the production is concentrated into 3-4 months, making those 3-4 months even more glorious (as long as you can survive the lean month(s)).

There will almost assuredly be more power binges for Harper this season, and who knows maybe he will even have a sustained hot streak where he’s a top 5 overall player for 4-6 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I've never played an OPS league in 25 years, and it seems like 80% on this site do. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Regardless, without OPS, he's been a poop popsickle for me. Though he's showing a smidgen of a flame lately.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I've never played an OPS league in 25 years, and it seems like 80% on this site do. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Regardless, without OPS, he's been a poop popsickle for me. Though he's showing a smidgen of a flame lately.

Convince your league to add OPS next year. It's a great metric that more adequately represents a batters skillsit (more so than BA imo)

2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

OPS league here...plenty of complaints from me, most notably his general suckiness and lack of production since the first 2 weeks. Overall #112 player in my league. If you drafted him around round 8-9 he's probably been about what you would expect.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cyberer said:

Philly fan checking in. For everyone that says we overpaid him, I think maybe on guaranteed money yes, but if you consider the 25 million AAV, and the way inflation and contracts keep trending up, guys like Cesar Hernandez will be making 15-20 million per year at the tail end of that contract. It will look progressively better, not worse, as time goes on. 

players, teams, corporations, media, agents, ect all make massive money from pro sports. it has become obvious they don't care if they are making money.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:01 PM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I'm still not going to panic until hitting weather... sometimes even the 2007-2011 teams would get off to slow offensive starts (this team collectively isn't even off to one of those) but once the bank starts heating up it becomes a launching pad. I'm also learning my lesson from last year when I moved on from Matt Carpenter too early and he got off to a way worse start.

🤔