NBC Sports Edge Forums

Bryce Harper 2019 Outlook

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol I understand some of the criticisms of Bryce and his approach, but to pretend he’s not completely driven to be great and that he’s the “kind of guy who would settle for sitting on the bench for 13

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Someone go ahead and quote me from earlier lol called that homer. He’s gonna be just fine.

I was actually just coming on to do just that. Nice call my friend. Keep doing it since I have him on my team.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, absknicks said:

Even his OPS (.831) isn't great for where he was drafted. There's no format that he hasn't been a major disappointment in so far. 

I dunno. Had him in a dynasty for several years. So I didn't draft him and he's streaky. He's been fine for me. Ops is good, power is there. Runs and RBI are there. 

3 hours ago, jasonpark87 said:

I was actually just coming on to do just that. Nice call my friend. Keep doing it since I have him on my team.

Thanks, he’s on my team I need it too lol. All jokes aside he should be good to go again until the next slump. All the people here concerned about him I would sell high over the next month. Otherwise I still think he’s in line for a .265 40 homer 125RBI season. 

19 hours ago, NolanRyan said:

Hope y'all sat him today :)

Started him both days and don't understand the gloating over a guy who has vastly underperformed his ADP. It's not like owners are rooting against him so we can say "told you so"... I hope he goes on to break every single season record.

I'veowned him for 5 years - long enough to know that he goes through brutal stretches where it's perfectly acceptable to bench him. He also goes on tears where he sets the world on fire. Let's hope one of those is starting now.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Started him both days and don't understand the gloating over a guy who has vastly underperformed his ADP. It's not like owners are rooting against him so we can say "told you so"... I hope he goes on to break every single season record.

I'veowned him for 5 years - long enough to know that he goes through brutal stretches where it's perfectly acceptable to bench him. He also goes on tears where he sets the world on fire. Let's hope one of those is starting now.

Sorry if it came off as gloating, I just think it's silly to bench him for someone like Pence when we all know he's a streaky player who can just go off on any day. . .

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, mjb03003 said:

The funny thing about fantasy baseball is that sometimes even when a player has a sluggish month or two, the final numbers still wind up where everyone expected they would and it just means the production is concentrated into 3-4 months, making those 3-4 months even more glorious (as long as you can survive the lean month(s)).

There will almost assuredly be more power binges for Harper this season, and who knows maybe he will even have a sustained hot streak where he’s a top 5 overall player for 4-6 weeks. 

fine in a roto league...brutal in h2h.

What are you guys expecting this year/ROS ? 

With the move to Philly I was pretty big on his prospects this year. However he's becoming such a hard to predict player especially so over his last three seasons. Tough to say if he's going to disappoint like 2016, be a stud as he was in 2017, or like 2018 put up amazing power but a crappy AVG. I understand teams are using the shift, walking/pitching around him which takes a toll. Going ahead be interesting to see if he can overcome any of those obstacles.

2016 Harper- lousy AVG and HR totals for his standards, decent R/RBI. Not counting October, hit over .270 for three months and under .205 for three months. 

2017 Harper- fantastic AVG with good R/HR/RBI.  

2018 Harper- meh AVG but great R/HR/RBI. However 18 HR's came in 2 months while the other 5 months combined he hit just 16. Only hit over .260 three months and one of those months was March with only 2 games played. He hit 8 April HR's and 10 in May, a few less each month and last years numbers would have been more on par with his lousy 2016. April/May last year didn't hit over .241 each month either.

Edited by tonywow

I don't know what to make of him, either. I feel we've all been chasing his 2015 not only since but before it occurred as well. As a uber-prospect, we were waiting for the big year and now we are waiting for him to repeat it. 

All I can say, as it stands now, I will never pay a premium for this guy in my OBP roto league again. Sure, I will take him at a discount, but I've grown to despise him for his inconsistency and general bearing. 

I'm sure he'll turn it around at some point this year but 2016 is a disconcerting comp. Before doing nothing for most of the season, he had accomplished more in the first few weeks than he did this year. 

The strikeouts are problematic, so we can't even get to the point about worrying about the shift when he makes so little contact. He's on pace for 223 of them and fewer than 30 home runs. Disgusting. 

Truth be told, coming into this year I was worried he'd be this year's Stanton. Everyone had these huge expectations for him, moving to a more favorable park. Most failed to see the pressure that comes with playing in Philadelphia, a more "engaged" fanbase and scrutinizing media. Stanton has had New York to deal with.  I almost liked Harper better in Washington without the change of atmosphere driving up his value. At the end of March, I was gonna share my "prophecies" with everyone here but his quick start would've made me look like a fool. 

Edited by IceGoat

He cannot hit a fastball. What? I don’t think I typed that right... Bryce Harper, maker of lopsided baseballs, punisher of mistakes, the last guy in Philly to have an overdraft fee... can’t hit a ******** fastball? 

I have the solution! 

Pivetta can’t throw a FB for strikes, Harper can't hit one... put them on time out in a batting cage and let them both work through it! Two men enter, one man leaves... FB’s to the death! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All the bulk, holes in his game ignored for endorsements, haircuts, and flash; and bulking up has caused him to go from a 4.5 tool player to a guy who has like 1-2 tools. Average player who has peaked and tainted his legacy.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu

Too early to tell. He could catch fire and have some positive regression.  OR the stats that suggest that most players who come up early, peak early, along with his rising K rate (and swings and misses on hittable pitches) could suggest a player in decline. Unfortunately for fantasy players, it may take a few more months to know which one it is. 

22 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

wow no comments about last night's slumpbuster game? Even with the K's the dude has quietly been hitting the ball better over the last 2-3 weeks.

My dude bout to go on a heater! Hoping that foot is okay. I think we are going to get a few weeks of some MVP production. Followed by a slump, naturally. 

41 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

wow no comments about last night's slumpbuster game? Even with the K's the dude has quietly been hitting the ball better over the last 2-3 weeks.

It’s about time don’cha think? 

Give this guy a high five 🙌.. for be Mr. Obvious 

12 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

on pace for 97 runs 30 homers 118 rbi. And that's without really getting hot since the end of March/early April. 

I can expect we’ll knew those numbers would be there come September. 

Nando Di Fino had a pretty interesting write up about Harper for The Athletic ($$). 

He references a bunch of statcast data showing that Harper is still absolutely smoking the ball, he's just facing a ton of shifts (somethign that likely won't change) and seeing a lot of sliders, which have been giving him trouble (something he could adjust to). 

(as of 5/24)

Exit Velocity = 92.2 MPH (top 8 in the league)

Barrel% = 14.5% (easily a career-high, previous best was 11.2%)

If Harper can use the opposite field a bit more and start laying off of sliders and getting himself into better hitting counts, his numbers could really take off. Even without any major adjustments it seems like his numbers will be pretty solid when all is said and done. 

19 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Nando Di Fino had a pretty interesting write up about Harper for The Athletic ($$). 

He references a bunch of statcast data showing that Harper is still absolutely smoking the ball, he's just facing a ton of shifts (somethign that likely won't change) and seeing a lot of sliders, which have been giving him trouble (something he could adjust to). 

(as of 5/24)

Exit Velocity = 92.2 MPH (top 8 in the league)

Barrel% = 14.5% (easily a career-high, previous best was 11.2%)

If Harper can use the opposite field a bit more and start laying off of sliders and getting himself into better hitting counts, his numbers could really take off. Even without any major adjustments it seems like his numbers will be pretty solid when all is said and done. 

I don’t look into the underlying stats like that much, good to know. From watching every Phillies game, he swing at every pitch low and away and he can’t keep up with the high fastball right now. The fastball will change. He needs to lay off that slider. He also needs to quit swinging for the fences every time. Last night was the first game in awhile he just looking to make contact it seems like and he looked excellent.