NBC Sports Edge Forums

J.A. Happ 2019 Outlook

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I got a steal with this guy as my # 4.  I'm not so sure anymore.

I think he gets it going soon.  Boone pulled him with Mancini up and runners on 1st and 2nd.  Mancini has 2 homers against Happ this year and Happ was already at 88 pitches.

7 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I thought I got a steal with this guy as my # 4.  I'm not so sure anymore.

How do you get pulled 4.1 when you haven't really done much to deserve it. NY doesn't have a lot of confidence obv.

This guy went  like 6 ip 3 er or less every single start in August September last yesr with a Yankee uniform on. How the hell do they just U-Turn and act like he needs fixing and no longer have confidence? That seems ridiculous. It really is.

Two bad starts against a bad hitting Orioles team.  Velocity is down from beginning of last season.  Last April his velo was at 92.97.  Now it is 91.95  Not a good sign for someone that relies on the fastball.  To my bench.

I knew age was a risk when I drafted him.  More than likely he is cooked.  Already looking for a replacement.  

I'm not ready to drop Happ yet. The White Sox have been ripping opposing pitching staffs so far this year - it's pretty shocking. They are not the usual "CWS" you look to blindly stream against. Not so far- although I think eventually they regress to what they actually are.

He's not this bad. If he's not injured, he is - at worst - at least as good a prospect as the best WW pitcher in 12+ leagues. Obviously in leagues that count W's rather than QS's he's much more valuable I think it's safe to say.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, jackg1162 said:

I think he gets it going soon.  Boone pulled him with Mancini up and runners on 1st and 2nd.  Mancini has 2 homers against Happ this year and Happ was already at 88 pitches.

Still thinking that ? 😀

12 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm not ready to drop Happ yet. The White Sox have been ripping opposing pitching staffs so far this year - it's pretty shocking. They are not the usual "CWS" you look to blindly stream against. Not so far- although I think eventually they regress to what they actually are.

He's not this bad. If he's not injured, he is - at worst - at least as good a prospect as the best WW pitcher in 12+ leagues. Obviously in leagues that count W's rather than QS's he's much more valuable I think it's safe to say.

Ripping opposing pitching ? Must be those rips are right at um. Yeah that’s why the wsox had lost how many in a row ? Glad I don’t own any shares 

11 hours ago, motown magic said:

Still thinking that ? 😀

Ripping opposing pitching ? Must be those rips are right at um. Yeah that’s why the wsox had lost how many in a row ? Glad I don’t own any shares 

Well this past start definitely has me uneasy about him but look what happened to Carassco, Sale, Kluber and DeGrom.  They have all gotten hammered at least once this year against mediocre lineups.

Edited by jackg1162
51 minutes ago, jackg1162 said:

Well this past start definitely has me uneasy about him but look what happened to Carassco, Sale, Kluber and DeGrom.  They have all gotten hammered at least once this year against mediocre lineups.

But he’s been hammered 3 times this year and doesn’t have quite the pedigree those guys have.

Happ isn't going to run a 2.92 HR/9 and 65% LOB% for the rest of the season, but between the downgrade in team context with all the Yankee injuries and the fact that he's 36 and never really had strikeout upside until last year, I don't think he's a must-hold in 10/12 teamers if you see something enticing on the wire.

If the ball really is juiced again, that doesn't bode well for a guy pitching in Yankee stadium, even if being a lefty does help him neutralize some of the impact of the stadium.  His ERA was much better with the Yanks than the Blue Jays last season, but that appears to be in some part due to a .250 BABIP against and comically high 89% LOB%.  What we're seeing now could be more reflective of his true value pitching in a tough park in a tough division, especially once the Red Sox wake up.

You can't really trade him for much, but if you can find a bargain hunting buyer, I'd take anything that helps my team in return.

I'm leaning toward sitting him in roto. I think he will be useful this year, but sitting him gives me the best chance to be happy today.  That way if he struggles again, I feel good sitting him but if he has a good game, I at least feel more confident moving forward. 

No choice will all the injuries (Severino, Clevinger).  Then again this is in an only league with no bench spots so kind of forced to. 😅

I think I would have to start him either way though. Scrub the names off the jerseys and look at all the stats and this feels like a get-right game to me. This Boston fan won't be scared to start most pitchers against the Red Sox until they show they're out of this.... whatever it is thing they're in.