NBC Sports Edge Forums

J.A. Happ 2019 Outlook

9 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Line was meh but not nearly as bad as his previous starts. Anyone watch his velocity/how he looked?  

Best of the year @ a little over 92 with the fastball. Still not up to the ~93 he was last season.

Probably still a streamer against the Jays and O's.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I got a steal with this guy as my # 4.  I'm not so sure anymore.

I think he gets it going soon.  Boone pulled him with Mancini up and runners on 1st and 2nd.  Mancini has 2 homers against Happ this year and Happ was already at 88 pitches.

I thought he could be    17   3.50   1.20  175K    this year but it's not looking good.

Is he declining or just bad luck?

Currently:

SwStr% 11.3 (best of his career)

HR/FB 22.2% (double his career norm)

BABIP .339 (50pts higher than career norm)

Soft/Hard contact% in line with career norm, same with FB/LD/GB distribution.

He's getting killed at home, just like last year when he was traded to the Yankees. I haven't been able to watch him pitch. Is this guy just not fit to pitch in NY, like Sonny Gray?

16 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

I thought he could be    17   3.50   1.20  175K    this year but it's not looking good.

Is he declining or just bad luck?

Currently:

SwStr% 11.3 (best of his career)

HR/FB 22.2% (double his career norm)

BABIP .339 (50pts higher than career norm)

Soft/Hard contact% in line with career norm, same with FB/LD/GB distribution.

He's getting killed at home, just like last year when he was traded to the Yankees. I haven't been able to watch him pitch. Is this guy just not fit to pitch in NY, like Sonny Gray?

bad luck.  he went into the 7th last game and gave up 3 runs.  hes a hold at this point

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Why?

Twins ranked first in slugging as of last night and are around the top in nearly all offensive categories?

• Like 1

Anyone rolling him out vs Sea or is it time to drop? Sea still lead the league in R but they've fallen off a cliff recently but it's at Yankee stadium where he sucks but after the Sea game it's possible he could line up vs Bal twice followed by KC but he's sitting at about 6 K/9.

I tried to be patient but it's hard to roster a guy you can't start at home and who isn't elite away either (ala Marquez).

3 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Anyone rolling him out vs Sea or is it time to drop? Sea still lead the league in R but they've fallen off a cliff recently but it's at Yankee stadium where he sucks but after the Sea game it's possible he could line up vs Bal twice followed by KC but he's sitting at about 6 K/9.

I tried to be patient but it's hard to roster a guy you can't start at home and who isn't elite away either (ala Marquez).

So on the fence about him ROS..

very deep 13 team roto league so the wire is ultra thin,,really want to drop him for Tyler Mahle, but I just can’t pull the trigger..lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not getting much confidence from his peripherals either. His xFIP, FIP and SIERA are ugly. He's not being unlucky. He's not being BABIPed to death. His LOB% is what it usually is. The lack of strikeouts are very concerning and so is that career high Hard%.

We're almost in June and this guy has gone more than 6 innings just three times. Three.

All projections have him now at 4.25/4.50 ERA ROS. Not something to get overly excited about...

Edited by Sine_cera

If you held and crazy enough to start him you were rewarded with a W, QS, and 10 Ks over 6ip.  The best he's looked all year.  A Billy Hamilton bunt single, Nicky Lopez single, and Merrifield 3 run jack on a ball out of the zone was the lone rough patch in the game for him.

2 minutes ago, slowride said:

If you held and crazy enough to start him you were rewarded with a W, QS, and 10 Ks over 6ip.  The best he's looked all year.  A Billy Hamilton bunt single, Nicky Lopez single, and Merrifield 3 run jack on a ball out of the zone was the lone rough patch in the game for him.

I held him, and started him, had no choice, 20 team weekly league, wanted to drop him so bad after Monday's performance. Got lucky.

• 4 weeks later...