NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mixon or Fournette ~ WHIR

This one's tough because they are both great plays. I'd lean Fournette because they should be leading this game from the beginning, which means plenty of volume for Fournette. Skins D have been getting gashed on the ground lately... I expect a big game from Fournette and that's coming from a Skins fan.

That's a really tough one. Mixon has had a nice floor all season and could pop off a big game against Oakland. While the Raiders have done a decent job holding RBs in check the past 2 weeks, they've faced backups both games. Prior to that, they've gotten thrashed on the ground since their week 7 bye (210, 165, 123 and 169 rushing yards). Fournette was on an absolute tear between coming back from his injury and getting suspended, and last week could just be chalked up to him facing a tough run D (outside Miller's 97 yard TD run week 12, TEN has held RB in check all season). He's also facing a Redskins D that got absolutely demolished last week. 

The consensus with the "experts" is Mixon, and Rotoworld is big on him this week. Maybe you've already seen it, but he was the lead guy in their week 15 ranking, and the explanation was pretty sound: "Joe Mixon notched a career-high 31 touches in a surprisingly hard-fought Week 14 showdown with the Chargers. He gets to follow it up at home against the Raiders’ lead-footed defense. Only Mixon’s own Bengals are serving up more rushing yards. Enemy backs are averaging 4.84 yards every time they carry the ball versus the Silver and Black. With the Bengals three-point home favorites, game flow will not get away from them the way it so often has down the stretch. Mixon is the perfect marriage of volume and big-play ability for the second week of the fantasy playoffs."

With all that said, I have to ask, who are you starting over them? Assuming there's no way to get both in your lineup, I'd lean towards Mixon. I think he has a safer floor while providing just as much of a chance for a huge game. 

11 minutes ago, jwk1325 said:

That's a really tough one. Mixon has had a nice floor all season and could pop off a big game against Oakland. While the Raiders have done a decent job holding RBs in check the past 2 weeks, they've faced backups both games. Prior to that, they've gotten thrashed on the ground since their week 7 bye (210, 165, 123 and 169 rushing yards). Fournette was on an absolute tear between coming back from his injury and getting suspended, and last week could just be chalked up to him facing a tough run D (outside Miller's 97 yard TD run week 12, TEN has held RB in check all season). He's also facing a Redskins D that got absolutely demolished last week. 

The consensus with the "experts" is Mixon, and Rotoworld is big on him this week. Maybe you've already seen it, but he was the lead guy in their week 15 ranking, and the explanation was pretty sound: "Joe Mixon notched a career-high 31 touches in a surprisingly hard-fought Week 14 showdown with the Chargers. He gets to follow it up at home against the Raiders’ lead-footed defense. Only Mixon’s own Bengals are serving up more rushing yards. Enemy backs are averaging 4.84 yards every time they carry the ball versus the Silver and Black. With the Bengals three-point home favorites, game flow will not get away from them the way it so often has down the stretch. Mixon is the perfect marriage of volume and big-play ability for the second week of the fantasy playoffs."

With all that said, I have to ask, who are you starting over them? Assuming there's no way to get both in your lineup, I'd lean towards Mixon. I think he has a safer floor while providing just as much of a chance for a huge game. 

Thanks.   Gurley is my other starter.  And there's no Flex in this league.  I checked a bunch of rankings and Mixon averages to about 6th and Fournette to about 10th.  But it's splitting hairs. Like you said, Fournette had put up a few big games before last week in Tennessee.  I really do like both their matchups.  Right now I am leaning Mixon because of what seems to be the safer floor.  

Archived