NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyle Tucker 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this guy (whoever he is) likely has it right.  

3 homers in last 4 games. Heating up after a slow start. 

3 hours ago, RBI Sports said:

Alvarez was rested yesterday. Today must be Tucker's turn. 

Yeah except Alvarez was in the middle of a slump and tucker just had his 9 game hit streak end yesterday and if they call him up tomorrow (rather than today) they get an extra yr of service time. I was just shocked no one was bringing it to everyone’s attention wasn’t expecting an announcement til tomorrow at the earliest. Where there’s smoke ya know? If you’re not first your last as Ricky Bobby use to say...

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Yeah except Alvarez was in the middle of a slump and tucker just had his 9 game hit streak end yesterday and if they call him up tomorrow (rather than today) they get an extra yr of service time. I was just shocked no one was bringing it to everyone’s attention wasn’t expecting an announcement til tomorrow at the earliest. Where there’s smoke ya know? If you’re not first your last as Ricky Bobby use to say...

Absolutely! I’m expecting one or both to be called up within the next two weeks.  I think Alvarez is a better fit right now, since he also plays first. But Tucker is by far the better defender....that goes without saying. Home stand coming up. 

38 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Two more HR's last night - now up to 18 on the season.

I know it’s the PCL and minor league catchers aren’t the greatest, but he’s on a 600 PA pace for 48 HR and 32 SB.

Are we past the point of service time being a hurdle for this guy?  He played some last season, but I thought I read that there is a date to pay attention to with Tucker.  There is an opportunity for PT with Springer out.

9 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

First guy to 25 makes it to the big leagues first!

You're half right.  But the 25 total they must reach is a combination of "non-pulled sacrifice hits (NOPSHs)" and "cut-off man effective throws" (COMETs).  The Houston analytics department scoffs at your "home runs".  That's so old-school scout-ish of you.  Peasant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Are we past the point of service time being a hurdle for this guy?  He played some last season, but I thought I read that there is a date to pay attention to with Tucker.  There is an opportunity for PT with Springer out.

Yes, service time wise he is now "safe" unless the team wants to keep him down into August to try and avoid Super 2. But he should have a significant leg up on Alvarez for a call up since he's already on the 40 man roster and can, you know, actually field

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yes, service time wise he is now "safe" unless the team wants to keep him down into August to try and avoid Super 2. But he should have a significant leg up on Alvarez for a call up since he's already on the 40 man roster and can, you know, actually field

So let Alvarez DH.

• Like 1

Kid’s putting up some crazy numbers at AAA. It’ll be interesting to see how and when Houston fits him in. I believe he’ll get a shot this year, as Houston’s best lineup against righthanders will include Tucker and Alvarez with Marisnick and Gurriel on the bench.

• Like 2

The Astros made it clear that Alvarez will play mostly DH, sometimes LF and never 1B. He must be an absolutely atrocious 1B because that’s where he could help most.

That’s not good for Tucker though, because Yordan is now one more guy in his way in an already overcrowded OF mix. I don’t think we see Tucker in Houston until September unless Brantley, Reddick or Alvarez get hurt.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

The Astros made it clear that Alvarez will play mostly DH, sometimes LF and never 1B. He must be an absolutely atrocious 1B because that’s where he could help most.

That’s not good for Tucker though, because Yordan is now one more guy in his way in an already overcrowded OF mix. I don’t think we see Tucker in Houston until September unless Brantley, Reddick or Alvarez get hurt.

As soon as you see Brantley or Reddick log one inning at first, you know it's on. Gurriel's got no future in the organization and doesn't have a bat worth playing in the playoffs. It makes sense for HOU to find a way to get Tucker in the lineup before the playoffs. 

They have to get Tucker in the OF and move someone to 1B. And Gurriel to the bench. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, dod959 said:

As soon as you see Brantley or Reddick log one inning at first, you know it's on. Gurriel's got no future in the organization and doesn't have a bat worth playing in the playoffs. It makes sense for HOU to find a way to get Tucker in the lineup before the playoffs. 

They have to get Tucker in the OF and move someone to 1B. And Gurriel to the bench. 

Hadn’t considered this possibility but it makes a ton of sense. Silly to keep rolling out Gurriel and White at 1B while having so many big OF bats. Someone can learn 1B, it can’t be that hard.