NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carlos Correa 2019 Outlook

Ron Shandler projects 24/87/.265 with 5 SBs. 

Steamer projects 26/91/.265 with 4 SB.

He hasn't cracked the top-50 since his debut season. Obviously injuries have taken their toll, but I think a lot of people put a bit too much stock into those 400 PA in 2015. As a fantasy asset, I've been pretty down on him ever since the steals dried up, especially in traditional 5x5 formats. Without bags he's a good, mid-round fantasy SS, but not the top-2 rounder he's been drafted as in recent years, IMO

I see he's still going in the late 2nd round in a lot of drafts which I think is way too high for him still.. especially with these somewhat mediocre projects in mind. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Souza Jr already won it when he tore every single connected ligament and fiber running in a straight line.

This guys such a joke lol. He's either hurt or batting .212, next Arod lol? Get tfoh haha

7 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

He was fantastic in 2017 and would have returned 1st/2nd rd value if not for his July or August injury. Last season was concerning, but that Astros lineup is looking as good as ever. I'd love to get him at the top of the 3rd round.

He was very good in 2017, true, but the lack of steals would've prevented him from returning first round value, even if he had managed to stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He was very good in 2017, true, but the lack of steals would've prevented him from returning first round value, even if he had managed to stay healthy.

I suppose. I just remember having him stacked with Altuve and laughing all the way to bank... until the injury.

7 hours ago, roscobangs said:

He was fantastic in 2017 and would have returned 1st/2nd rd value if not for his July or August injury. Last season was concerning, but that Astros lineup is looking as good as ever. I'd love to get him at the top of the 3rd round.

Exactly. Guy seems to have a problem staying healthy. Hard to know what impact that had this past season as well. 

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

Not sure that's accurate. 2017 he was on a 162 game pace of 36 HR, 123 R, 124 RBI, and a .315/.391/.550 line. 

That year Nolan Arenado put up 37 HR, 100 R, 130 RBI, and a .309/.373/.586 line. 

I'd say CC was more than on his way to returning 1st round value, steals or not. Not many 120/35/120/.300+ guys in the league. 

This past year was extremely disappointing. I'm still willing to pay a 2nd round price tag for the guy, but this is a prove it year for me. If he doesn't impress this year he's going to fall into the Xander Bogaerts range for me. Fine SS, not a 2nd round talent. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

I will probably have him as my 5th SS. Machado, Lindor, Turner, Bregman in some order then Correa. Late 2nd or early 3rd round pick.

I'd definitely take all 4 over Correa. Lindor is the clear #1 for me. 

He’s current the 8th SS being taken in between Mondesi and Bogaerts.

some injuries were flukish, but back problems are somewhat of a concern.  High ceiling is still there.  He could certainly still hit it.  

Had surgery this offseason to help him breathe better

I’m actually pretty surprised how he’s being ranked in some listings. He is an ELITE talent and has shown that at a very young age in the bigs. Last year was a wreck with his injuries and performance but he’s 24 and should be recovered from his ailments including his nasal surgery.

Steamer projecting .265/26hr/4sb is laughable to me. I know they’re conservative but I think they’re placing too much weight on his 2017. 

Im curious where @taobball will be putting him in his rankings. 

• Like 1

Yeah back problems this young are a red flag...they usually do not disappear and can get complicated with age...

I am pretty heavily invested in him in 1 dynasty and 1 keeper...can't deal him now, he's too talented and his value is too low.

I wonder if swapping him and Breg defensively would behoove the team and the players too?

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah back problems this young are a red flag...they usually do not disappear and can get complicated with age...

I am pretty heavily invested in him in 1 dynasty and 1 keeper...can't deal him now, he's too talented and his value is too low.

I wonder if swapping him and Breg defensively would behoove the team and the players too?

Did anything concrete ever come out about the injury? I don’t believe it’s something that will bother him long term, but I may be wrong. The defensive switch could certainly make some sense for the Astros. I also think he has lost some leverage of staying at SS over Bregman considering Breg is possibly the more valuable player now.

22 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Hes ranked pretty reasonable. Hes not stealing bags and hes had one 150 game season in his career. Lindor, Bregman, Story, Turner, Baez all double digit steal threats. 

Nolan goes in the late first round because of his high floor. He never actually returns 1st round value in standard. You are hoping for basically 2nd round upside when drafting him.

Now that Xander found his power stroke. The gap between his upside and correas upside is only a handful of HRs. Without the injury risk.

• Haha 1

He ain’t no Trevor Story, now that’s a bounce back. CC is going to hit 265 with pedestrian stats, whatever he had is lost. He and Tulo are going to have similar numbers at the ASB.  Racy but true

• Haha 1

Wasn’t CC hitting really well before his first injury? I vaguely remember him leading the league in RBI for a bit. I could be wrong 

i think correa is good but maybe not elite. He had some injuries last year so that seemed to affect him. If he can stay healthy maybe a top 5-6 shortstop. 

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have Correa on my team, but based on his outstanding MILB results and obvious talent, then I'm betting his 2018 year was an outlier and he will return to form in 2019. Also, he was plagued by "lower back soreness" for much of last season, so let's hope he is over that now.

Wouldn't touch this guy with a 10-foot pole. Rostered him in 17', and he destroyed me with how much he was injured...Same thing in 18', injured for 50+ games....

If I'm forced to see this guy in the ADP 25-30 range, especially in a deep 14+ team league, I am staying far, far away....

I've think we've witnessed that he's not going to be of value in the SB department anymore, as even before his injuries in the past 2 years, he was only on pace for 4 and 5 sb....that, coupled with his injury history....bad news.

I think now, assuming he can play a full season, he will be a .275 BA, 25-30 HR, 80-90 RBI, 5 SB guy.....

But anyone thinking that CC is going to break out randomly for one of those .310 BA, 35 HR, 110 RBI seasons are probably going to be disappointed.

Edited by CORTEz
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...