Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook


FantasyGeek2018
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

True, but what did Manny Machado show that says he deserves 300 million dollars?  He spiked players in the playoffs, walked to first, and quite frankly was horrid for the Dodgers in their playoff run.  Just because the owners make a lot of money doesn’t mean they should have to hand out bad contracts.  Now Trout got paid, he deserved it.  Just was making reference to players griping about Machado not getting paid in the offseason.  Didn’t really understand what the gripe was about.  

 

I'm not convinced it's the owners driving the reduced salaries as much as a new generation of GMs that know that giving non steroid players guaranteed contracts that pay them a lot of money into their 30s is a HORRIFIC idea. 

 

Regardless, Manny (and Harper) got paid premiums to sign anyway as they were 26 year old free agents that instantly increase ticket sales and franchise viability.  Padres ticket sales skyrocketed when Manny signed and Phillies ticket sales went up even more when Harper signed there.  In both cases the brands gained more Q rating and awareness just by signing the players as well. 

Edited by 96mnc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

True, but what did Manny Machado show that says he deserves 300 million dollars?  He spiked players in the playoffs, walked to first, and quite frankly was horrid for the Dodgers in their playoff run.  Just because the owners make a lot of money doesn’t mean they should have to hand out bad contracts.  Now Trout got paid, he deserved it.  Just was making reference to players griping about Machado not getting paid in the offseason.  Didn’t really understand what the gripe was about.  

 

Teams aren't weighting 24 PA samples over 4343 PA samples. 

There is not a consensus on the behavior you describe. Some like the fire. Some think that not going 100% on every ground ball can help preserve a player. I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying it's not going to make a significant difference to all teams. Production is what is paid for. He was paid well and should have been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was bummed when the Padres nabbed him over my Sox. Maybe I should send them a thank you letter. 

 

 

(In all seriousness, let's not say his days of being great are over after a slow first half). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

 

Teams aren't weighting 24 PA samples over 4343 PA samples. 

There is not a consensus on the behavior you describe. Some like the fire. Some think that not going 100% on every ground ball can help preserve a player. I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying it's not going to make a significant difference to all teams. Production is what is paid for. He was paid well and should have been.

 

Let there be no doubt... Manny flat out doesn't hustle on the base paths.  It's just part of the package with him so you've got to be okay with it when you sign him.   I've seen him cause two outs already this year by not hustling (one was Thursday and ended an inning).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I was bummed when the Padres nabbed him over my Sox. Maybe I should send them a thank you letter. 

 

 

(In all seriousness, let's not say his days of being great are over after a slow first half). 

 

As a poster noted above, he's not that far off pace of his usual numbers.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

When Diamondbacks signed Greinke they raised prices.  Was that just a coincidence?  Maybe I’m off base.

 

Arizona has raised ticket prices almost every year since 2009.

 

The Ms cut payroll this year, right?  Ticket prices go down?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

Arizona has raised ticket prices almost every year since 2009.

 

The Ms cut payroll this year, right?  Ticket prices go down?

 

 

The M’s couldn’t pay me to set foot in their stadium.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

 

As a poster noted above, he's not that far off pace of his usual numbers.   

Yeah his career is kinda all over. He is either a 6 WAR player or a 2.5.

Sometimes he steals 15-20 bags, somtimes only a couple. His average fluctuates quite a bit too. 

He's on pace for one of 2.5 WAR seasons, currently.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah his career is kinda all over. He is either a 6 WAR player or a 2.5.

Sometimes he steals 15-20 bags, somtimes only a couple. His average fluctuates quite a bit too. 

He's on pace for one of 2.5 WAR seasons, currently.

 

Most disappointing thing to me was when he didn't kill it in Toronto and at Yankee stadium.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I've always had it in the back of my mind, this situation with Machado really has solidified something for me:

1.)I never want to invest significantly at auction ever again in a player who has already signed the last "big money" deal of his career.

2.)I particularly don't want to do so if it's the first year after signing the deal.

3.)I really, really, really don't want to do so if it's a player who has ever shown any hint of, shall we say, "motivation problems." 

Edited by Overlord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Overlord said:

While I've always had it in the back of my mind, this situation with Machado really has solidified something for me:

1.)I never want to invest significantly at auction ever again in a player who has already signed the last "big money" deal of his career.

2.)I particularly don't want to do so if it's the first year after signing the deal.

3.)I really, really, really don't want to do so if it's a player who has ever shown any hint of, shall we say, "motivation problems." 

 

I tend to stay away from guys changing leagues for their first year unless they are coming at a discount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2019 at 4:09 PM, 96mnc said:

 

I tend to stay away from guys changing leagues for their first year unless they are coming at a discount.

 

Well, he changed leagues (to the division he's currently in) once already when he went to the Dodgers last year. Albeit only for 267 AB.

At least that's why I convinced myself he was safe to take at the end of the 2nd in my draft this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2019 at 10:30 AM, rasto21585 said:

Are his days as a first rounder over now?

He wasn't even a 1st rounder this year. This should've been obvious the moment he signed with SD. The R/RBI totals were never going to be there on that crappy offense, the NL West parks are terrible for hitters compared to AL park, and he wasn't even a first round type hitter while he was with LAD

Edited by cs3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2019 at 10:37 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Now our ticket prices and Coors Lights get jacked up to offset his putrid salary.

What are you talking about?

That's not how it works.

Edited by cs3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CFN said:

 

Well, he changed leagues (to the division he's currently in) once already when he went to the Dodgers last year. Albeit only for 267 AB.

At least that's why I convinced myself he was safe to take at the end of the 2nd in my draft this year.

 

I did too.   That discount was enough for me to buy in at. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Overlord said:

While I've always had it in the back of my mind, this situation with Machado really has solidified something for me:

1.)I never want to invest significantly at auction ever again in a player who has already signed the last "big money" deal of his career.

2.)I particularly don't want to do so if it's the first year after signing the deal.

3.)I really, really, really don't want to do so if it's a player who has ever shown any hint of, shall we say, "motivation problems." 

 

the only recent player is Mike Trout. that is non-pitching we are talking. Pujols has been a nobody since he went to the Angles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

3rd or 4th round?

 

don't even draft him. by the time you get the pick you are willing to draft him for (or at least should) some idiot will take him based on what the Padres were willing to pay him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...