NBC Sports Edge Forums

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just great.  Now my White Sox are stuck with Manny's family and friends for no reason.

Eh. Someone else can overpay for his non-hustling stats.  I don't think he's nearly as good as he thinks he is.   But he is having the last laugh with that laughable contract. If we could al

By someone else.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Omg his prime is going to rot at Petco 😂

Realize its a very small sample size, but in every park he has ever hit in, Manny Machado's highest batting average in any park is at PETCO with a .444 average there.  Most of the west coast parks deal with the marine layer, but since they brought the fences in a few years ago, you see a number of HR especially those oppo boppo shots by RH batters into the section which previously would not of been an HR.  Is it a band box?  No, but until you have legitimate hitters playing there and not hitting HR, then I think the stats can be somewhat skewed.  

5 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Opt outs offered by teams are bananas - if the player is living up to their end of the contract they opt out for longer term and more guaranteed money and if they're underperforming they opt in and keep getting the money they are not earning.

Ask the Giants how the Johnny Cueto opt out is working for them...

can I swear. F!

this is where I didn't want him to go. there goes his fantasy numbers. PETCO isn't bad, but this division includes LA and SF. even Arizona isn't a hitters park anymore right?

whatever you had hoped for Machado R/RBI, drop that by at least 10.

Edited by SpecialFNK

Its a great move for the Pads (not crazy about Opt out, but at least its 5 years not 2 or 3) They should really be good perhaps in 2020, but certainly ready to contend in 2021 as their plethora of top pitching prospects moves closer to being major league ready.   Probably plays SS for this season, then in the future will decide what the best combo is between he and Tatis as they will man the left side.   Is it Tatis at SS Manny at 3B or vice versa?  Good problem to have.  

• Like 1
Just now, SpecialFNK said:

can I swear. F!

this is where I didn't want him to go. there goes his fantasy numbers. PETCO isn't bad, but this division includes LA and SF. even Arizona isn't a hitters park anymore right?

I would be more concerned with the lineup around him and the organization.  The Padres have fielded what amounts to a AAA team offensively in recent years and they can talk up their prospects all they want, but unless a number of them turn into good hitters they are not likely to compete imo.  And their management has sold\cut bait at times when things have gone bad.

I'll be really interested to see what this does to his ADP.  I could see the "rebuilding team/PETCO Park" gaining steam over the next few weeks.  This news sucks a bit for people who already own/drafted him but could be an opportunity for if there's an overcorrection and he starts to slip down the second round.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

in 2018 Machado had 84 R, 37 HR, 107 RBI. I doubt he gets to any of those in 2019 with SD.

Machado has been known not to hustle before, why would he hustle now that he as been paid.

Maybe he won't be tripping players anymore either.

2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I'll be really interested to see what this does to his ADP.  I could see the "rebuilding team/PETCO Park" gaining steam over the next few weeks. 

I reckon he gets a huge downgrade. Bad park, bad team is what the analysts will say.

Could there have been a worse landing spot?

1 minute ago, Baur10 said:

I'll be really interested to see what this does to his ADP.  I could see the "rebuilding team/PETCO Park" gaining steam over the next few weeks.  This news sucks a bit for people who already own/drafted him but could be an opportunity for if he starts to slip down the second round.

I think he will slip a round easily imo.  Pitcher's park, no protection, meaningless games, in a division with top flight pitching on the Dodgers, etc. Worst possible landing place imo.

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

in 2018 Machado had 84 R, 37 HR, 107 RBI. I doubt he gets to any of those in 2019 with SD.

Machado has been known not to hustle before, why would he hustle now that he as been paid.

San Diego might not have the league's best offense, but let's not forget that Manny was producing offense even with that putrid Orioles lineup around him. I don't think it's hard to imagine Manny hitting last year's numbers