NBC Sports Edge Forums

Manny Machado 2019 Outlook

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just great.  Now my White Sox are stuck with Manny's family and friends for no reason.

Eh. Someone else can overpay for his non-hustling stats.  I don't think he's nearly as good as he thinks he is.   But he is having the last laugh with that laughable contract. If we could al

By someone else.  

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

That and San Diego is an awesome place to call home.

Which tends to make players lazy.  So many players go out to southern California to fade away.  We Sox fans know that was certainly the case back in the day with Freddy Lynn who had the goods to make the Hall had he stayed and played his career in either Boston or any other competitive city.  But the Angels back then were full of sun and surf boys who were so laid back they barely got to the park in time to get their uniforms on before first pitch.  Discipline has improved since but still too good of weather makes for too much laying back attitude.  Good for life, bad for baseball players.

But it could be worse in the NL West.  It could be SF for a bad park and team and farm system.  They have the trifecta of horror.  SD has arguably the very best farm in all of baseball with Tatus raked right behind Vlad on most lists as best prospect in baseball.  And their young pitching is to die for ... just like their current rotation is totally dead.  With Machado now signed maybe they will start trading off some of their highly rated prospect pitchers for veteran pitchers in a panic move to contend by 2020.

Oh well Manny doesn't want to win, just be filthy rich.  He doesn't want any pressure on him.  Just the warm sun.  See how he likes it after a few years. My guess is he probably will.  He will become totally domesticated and content.  He doesn't have the same fire in him as Harper does.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

I'll be really interested to see what this does to his ADP.  I could see the "rebuilding team/PETCO Park" gaining steam over the next few weeks.  This news sucks a bit for people who already own/drafted him but could be an opportunity for if there's an overcorrection and he starts to slip down the second round.

I’m knocking him down from 14th on my board to 21st. I don’t think he’ll slip to the 3rd round in 12 teamers.

Just now, meh2 said:

I’m knocking him down from 14th on my board to 21st. I don’t think he’ll slip to the 3rd round in 12 teamers.

I mostly doubt he will either, but it's possible and late 2nd round is still an excellent value for him IMO, Petco or no Petco.

1 hour ago, MichiganxTrumbull said:

Am I one of the few that don't see this being a big hit to his value (league eligibility aside)

he was never going to be ranked higher than pre injury lindor- turner-bregman-jram and not below story-baez

and for 3b. he was always below arenado-bregman-jram and above baez-bryant-rendon

where he signed had a +/- 2 spots max

No worse lineup than what he had in Baltimore last year. Myers and Hosmer offer protection and with guys like Tatis on the way - it's a lineup with some upside. The pitching matchups won't be any less favourable. Dodger stadium is no hitters park and he was on pace for 33HR over a full season in LA. A great hitter is a great hitter. I get he isn't playing those games in Camden, Rogers Centre or Fenway but I don't expect much drop in HR when you consider games in Coors and Chase will be plentiful.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which tends to make players lazy.  So many players go out to southern California to fade away.  We Sox fans know that was certainly the case back in the day with Freddy Lynn who had the goods to make the Hall had he stayed and played his career in either Boston or any other competitive city.  But the Angels back then were full of sun and surf boys who were so laid back they barely got to the park in time to get their uniforms on before first pitch.  Discipline has improved since but still too good of weather makes for too much laying back attitude.  Good for life, bad for baseball players.

But it could be worse in the NL West.  It could be SF for a bad park and team and farm system.  They have the trifecta of horror.  SD has arguably the very best farm in all of baseball with Tatus raked right behind Vlad on most lists as best prospect in baseball.  And their young pitching is to die for ... just like their current rotation is totally dead.  With Machado now signed maybe they will start trading off some of their highly rated prospect pitchers for veteran pitchers in a panic move to contend by 2020.

Oh well Manny doesn't want to win, just be filthy rich.  He doesn't want any pressure on him.  Just the warm sun.  See how he likes it after a few years. My guess is he probably will.  He will become totally domesticated and content.  He doesn't have the same fire in him as Harper does.

Their young pitching looks insanely promising. 

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bull. You base your opinion about California because of one ballplayer? So your saying all ballplayers in California are laidback and have I don’t care attitude, they don’t take the game seriously? 

• Thanks 1

Manny's is one of the more consistent hitters in the game, which means his floor is pretty rock solid.  I'm happy drafting him where he's going, but I'm wondering about the counting stats in SD.  RosterResource has him hitting 2nd (which seems odd as I'd assume he'd hit 3rd) with Kinsler in front.  I think he's pretty much good for 100 runs with Hosmer, Myers, Renfroe/Cordero/Mejia behind him, but where will the RBIs come from? 

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

so glad yankees didnt get him at that price

his power numbers wont look nearly as good in san diego.  baltimore is a GREAT place to hit

Yes and no. 

He’s a pull hitter and SD plays top 10 in LF homers (7th I believe). So, he goes from 32-35 to 28-30. Yes there is a drop but not like the sky is falling. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Storenut said:

Yes and no. 

He’s a pull hitter and SD plays top 10 in LF homers (7th I believe). So, he goes from 32-35 to 28-30. Yes there is a drop but not like the sky is falling. 

He also gets to play 18 games a year at Coors Field & Arizona.

21 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

so glad yankees didnt get him at that price

his power numbers wont look nearly as good in san diego.  baltimore is a GREAT place to hit

I am ecstatic that he didn’t sign with the Yankees. 

Disagree on numbers ... Manny is money he will have 30+ HRs and close to 100 runs & rbis 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I am ecstatic that he didn’t sign with the Yankees. 

Disagree on numbers ... Manny is money he will have 30+ HRs and close to 100 runs & rbis 

Exactly how I feel and I'm actually excited about the possibility of his price dropping entering my draft this weekend. I feel he's still very capable of close to 30 HRs and 100 RBIs. I also think he could score 100 runs in this lineup if Myers and Hosmer stay healthy. And I agree with what others have said about the park factor and opposing pitchers not being as big of an issue as some are making it. The AL east had far better pitching as a division but did have better parks as a whole. However Arizona and Colorado are nice alternatives and it's not like Petco is the Petco of old. 

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Bull. You base your opinion about California because of one ballplayer? So your saying all ballplayers in California are laidback and have I don’t care attitude, they don’t take the game seriously? 

On top of using only one player as basis for why California players are lazy, it's worth noting that Fred Lynn was...actually pretty good in California.

--1981: 86 OPS+ (okay, this was a bad year...but note that this was a strike season, and his numbers fell off a cliff only after the return from strike)
--1982: 142 OPS+ (better than 4 of his 6 full seasons in Boston)
--1983: 129 OPS+ (only 117 games, but he produced when he played)
--1984: 132 OPS+ (strong conclusion to his days in California)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also, Lynn's Angels in 1982 (the first full season he played there, due to the '81 strike) won 93 games. So even if they barely got to the park in time to get their uniforms on before first pitch, they somehow managed to produce the best season in the 22-year history of the franchise.