NBC Sports Edge Forums

Biggest Busts of 2018

oresteszero

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mar1kle said:

Dud's...Sux or hurt doesn't matter. If you drafted these guys you probably are not reading this on Championship week!

RB

Bell

D Johnson

Hunt

Fornette

Hyde

D Freeman

R Freeman

A Collins

Jay Ajayi

J Mccinnon

K Drake

M Lynch

R Penny

WR

O Beckem

AJ Green

J Landry

C Davis

J Gordon

S Sheppard

D Baldwin

K Stills

A Robinson

W Fuller

N Agholor

K Benjaman

S Watkins

D Funchess

M Jones Jr

M Goodwin

C Hogan

TE

J Reed

Gronk

J Graham

T Burton

K Rudolph

G Olsen

J Doyle

T Eifert

ASJ

D Walker

QB

Rodgers

Brady

Newton

Wilson

Cousins

A Smith

Stafford

Bortles

Dalton

Mariota

Flacco

Rosen

Garopollo

Tanneyhill

This is more of a list of guys who haven't played up to expectation this year. I think eventually you need to draw the line since guys you take at the end of the draft aren't really going to be the reason why you didn't make the championship (or even the playoffs). I mean I guess if you look at it like oh you could've gotten James Conner instead but I think that's a flawed way to look at things since with that logic when weighing production vs. ADP that would make most RBs a bust, basically every QB not named Mahomes a bust, etc. Nobody missed their championship cause they drafted Rosen or Tannehill since these guys weren't even drafted in the majority of leagues and even if they were they likely weren't the core of your team and a late round flier/lotto ticket. In fact with all the variables involved it's very foolish if not impossible to blame not making the championship on one player no matter how good or bad they were. These guys may not have reached what many expected coming into the season but I don't think that qualifies them as "busts". 

7 hours ago, Evincar said:

People were expecting him to be Mahomes or at least the top scoring QB by a decent margin based on how good he was in 2017. He's still had a good year but relative to his ADP and how deep QB was this season I'll call him a bust.

He had played 6 total games coming into this year.  Houston has a suspect line and anybody expecting him to put up last years stats coming off injury was kidding themselves(AXE). I would say Rodgers or Brady are much bigger bust then Watson.

1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

He was drafted top 3-5 in most standard leagues I assume. His overall numbers this year put him closer to top 12-15, not top 3.

12-15 aint bad though....I wouldnt really consider DJ a bust either.

Is there a "Not Mad but Disappointed" category?

I suppose we all have different definitions of what's considered a bust, but I'm surprised to see David Johnson mentioned as much as he has been.  Did he live up to his top 3 price tag?  Certainly not, but he's been pretty solid most weeks.  I saw someone mentioning they want their top picks to be like Tyreek Hill - I suppose that is personal preference, but personally I completely despise owning players like Tyreek (DJax comes to mind).  Give me week to week consistency instead of huge peaks and valleys, especially in my big ticket player(s).  He will undoubtedly be high priced next year, but he's going to have to go real cheap for me to bite.

To further expand on DJ though - I think it is extremely flawed logic to draft anyone top 3 and expect said player to finish top 3 at their position.  Players are not rated that highly because of where they are expected to finish, its more to do with how much they can be depended on week to week and year to year, as well as opportunity, talent, utilization, etc.  In my opinion, players that are ranked higher are more likely to succeed is all, that doesn't necessarily mean they finish EXACTLY or above the position they're drafted, but the hope is to get a solid season from them.  He's currently sitting at #11 in standard scoring for RBs.  Thats not too bad at all, especially considering the absolute dumpster fire of an offense he's working with (which is in the running for worst offensive DVOA of all time, by the way). 

I have memories of Gurley in 2016 drafted as the #1 RB and finishing as the #20.  Now that's bust-worthy, imo.

Let's be honest.

This is really the "not my fault my team sucked a**" thread, verdad?

Real talk.

You feel me family?

I was there last year, don't worry.

But this year I did the right things.

You didn't.

Now go get your f'ing shine box.

j/k

I drafted David Johnson #3.

But still made the 'ship.

So yeah.

Shinebox.

6 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Let's be honest.

This is really the "not my fault my team sucked a**" thread, verdad?

Real talk.

You feel me family?

I was there last year, don't worry.

But this year I did the right things.

You didn't.

Now go get your f'ing shine box.

j/k

I drafted David Johnson #3.

But still made the 'ship.

So yeah.

Shinebox.

What's with the triple spacing tho fam?

I think we want a top 3 pick to win us some weeks.  That was not really David Johnson's thing here in 2018.  Huge bust.  But one that we should have seen coming.  SUCH a bad team...

1 hour ago, Tghetty said:

Rodgers and R freeman for me, never again will I draft a QB so early (unless a juicy one tempts me next year). 😂

Yeah unless you are in a 2 QB league I can't justify taking a QB early. I think the earliest I took a QB this year was like  the 8th round. It is simply too deep of a position, looking at fantasypros ADP data the top 3 QBs this year Mahomes, Ryan and Roethlisberger were the 16th, 13th and 11th QBs off the board. Dudes like Goff, Trubisky, Jackson and Winston have had some solid hot streaks as well.  I haven't crunched the numbers to back it up (I bet someone has though) but I'm guessing if you played the QB off waivers with the best matchup/ highest projection each week you'd probably get like equivalent of QB8 scoring from the position in a typical 12 team league. 

I was ridiculously high on Mariota coming into this year (He has shown flashes in the past, I thought new OC would help a ton and hammy behind him) so he was my only drafted QB in a ton of leagues but I easily weathered the storm since the position is so deep. 

11 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

He was drafted top 3-5 in most standard leagues I assume. His overall numbers this year put him closer to top 12-15, not top 3.

You drafted him for his Floor as well. He had his Floor season. Not even close to being a bust.

Jordan Howard is a bust. Not DJ

10 hours ago, Bryce84 said:

He will undoubtedly be high priced next year, but he's going to have to go real cheap for me to bite.

Good luck with that.  And with all the talk of him being BOOM/BUST, he's only had three weeks in full point PPR this year where he hasn't eclipsed double digit points.  He also averages 22.

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think we want a top 3 pick to win us some weeks.  That was not really David Johnson's thing here in 2018.  Huge bust.  But one that we should have seen coming.  SUCH a bad team...

This.  I expect to steamroll at least a few matchups with a top 3 pick.  

48 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Still a chance to be a League Winner though

Oh for sure, there will be some winning teams with DJ on there roster. 

As we both know this game is not about just one player,  my team consist of 8-10 roster spots, not just DJ. 

One game with over 100 rushing yards 

Two games with over 20+ points 1/2 ppr 

Kareem Hunt has scored more fantasy points in 4 less games. 

IMO - The only thing good in this ugly DJ season he didn’t get injured, he played. 

Beckham is an interesting case. He was clinging to the top ten at WR when he got hurt. However, he had a bad start and benefited from two fluke long passing TDs. I would say he underperformed--if you drafted him you hoped for top 3 WR production--but wasn't a bust per se. He didn't sink teams...until the playoffs but I don't consider injured players "busts."

DJ is another interesting case. I would consider him a bust, albeit not a major bust. You could have survived DJ if you drafted someone like Gordon or CMC in the second or picked up Conner but burning a top 3 pick on him was very consequential. It meant you had little margin for error. The top line stats are misleading. DJ technically has been a RB1--RB11--but that's with several major RBs missing time due to injuries. In scoring per game he probably is 15th or 16th. That isn't fatal, but when you are getting fourth round type production from a top 3 pick that's a big hit to take each week.

I think what settles it for people with DJ is the RBs taken right after him. Zeke, Barkley, Kamara consistently were the next three off the board and they all have had excellent seasons.

I know I debated Zeke versus DJ and ultimately went with DJ in 2 of 3 cases (Zeke in one to diversify) because DJ's receiving role supposedly would make him match up proof (remember, both Arizona and Dallas we're expected to have anemic offenses).

There’s been more busts the past 2 weeks than all season combined, 

Lindsay, Thielen, Tyreek, etc. it’s all depends on when they sh!t the bed. But it’s a lot easier to overcome weeks 1-6 than weeks 14 on. Luckily I have survived the bad play and hope my studs play well this weekend. GL to all!

19 hours ago, '71 Bucks said:

There were definitely people, on this board and so-called "experts", who were touting the narrative that Hill was a gadget guy that relied on big plays, that he would inevitably have major regression when he stopped hitting on so many bombs, and that Watkins fit a more stereotypical WR1 role. 

Ok so show me the quotes where peiple thought Watkins would overtake Hill. Should be easy to find if there were so many people who thought that.

fournette AND bell for me.

traded fournette for bell in an "upside" deal after week 4.  needless to say i lost that bet.  i sit at 7-8 right now and technically am still in my playoff hunt, but im running on fumes.  (we play all 17 weeks and take our playoffs offline throughout the real playoffs).

Archived