Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yasiel Puig 2019 Outlook


countseth
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, smeeze said:

Any word on a suspension?

I'm curious as well. What are the odds he gets suspended? If he does, will he likely be out this week or will he appeal and play this week? I'm in a weekly lineup and can't decide whether or not to sit him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhD Gator said:

I'm curious as well. What are the odds he gets suspended? If he does, will he likely be out this week or will he appeal and play this week? I'm in a weekly lineup and can't decide whether or not to sit him.

100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure we're all pretty disappointed with Puig's showing so far. Looking at his numbers and watching his at bats he just appears to be pressing. His FB% is close to last year, but he's actually increased his LD% while decreasing his GB%. His BABIP is criminally low.

The Plate Discipline numbers show where he's pressing. He's swinging more, and specifically chasing out of the zone more. Think once he settles in things will start to look better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thru April 24th of last year Puig's triple slash was .195/.256/.244

So far this year it's .164/.186/.299

It's a similarly slow start made worse due to him pressing at the plate, probably due to being on a new team. 

Thru April 24th of last year he had an O-Swing of 28.8% , this year currently it sits at 42.3%. His overall Swing% last year at this time sat at 46.4%, currently it sits 60.6%. SwStr sees a similar pattern, last year 8.9%, this year 16.9%. 

He's simply pressing at the plate, gotta give him time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, djmax101 said:

It's getting very tempting to let this guy go in a 10 team league. The talent is there, but his plate discipline has evaporated, and I'm concerned his mental game isn't where it needs to be.

 

Gonna regret that move. We're in April. May, June, July, August, September are still ahead

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were stories from reputable writers that Puig could be an MVP candidate.  I paid a premium for him, and though it sucks watching him bat .150, there's far too much upside to drop.  Selling low might not be smart either.  Nick Senzel will be with the Reds soon, and his bat could help Puig and others in the lineup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Puig has swung at 60.6% of pitches he's seen as of this post.  That's tied for the highest swing rate in baseball thus far (Jonathan Schoop also at 60.6%).  His previous high was 53.3% in his rookie season.

I think he is so anxious to prove himself after being traded and on a new team.  If he can settle down and be more selective, the numbers will be there by season end.  The only concern I have is if his struggles so far make him press even harder.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, djmax101 said:

It's getting very tempting to let this guy go in a 10 team league. The talent is there, but his plate discipline has evaporated, and I'm concerned his mental game isn't where it needs to be.

I pondered for awhile and unfortunately had to cut him loose last week. There was just way too much talent on the wire to just continue to wait. Good luck though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Puig has swung at 60.6% of pitches he's seen as of this post.  That's tied for the highest swing rate in baseball thus far (Jonathan Schoop also at 60.6%).  His previous high was 53.3% in his rookie season.

I think he is so anxious to prove himself after being traded and on a new team.  If he can settle down and be more selective, the numbers will be there by season end.  The only concern I have is if his struggles so far make him press even harder.

This is my concern. If you watch him, he's up there hacking. Hopefully the hitting coaches can help him calm down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, boomzdaddy said:

Obviously, it is league dependent so we can't critique others moves without knowing the full story.  I simply have him on my bench until it gets better.

 

I mean, is it really?  Would you say that if someone dropped Betts just because he started off hitting .200 after 19 games (he did).

 

Sometimes crazy is just crazy....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dropping Puig is an idiotic move.  If you are dropping Puig you better be willing to drop Jose Ramirez who is playing worse by the way.  There are plenty of players that start slow and the numbers will be there.  Were you dropping Goldy at this time last season?  Are you dropping Rizzo too?

 

Making moves like that is why some players win and others look back on really stupid roster decisions in July.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...