NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yu Darvish 2019 Outlook

On 5/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, Cmilne23 said:

He’s clearly turning corner.  Law of averages says he wasn’t going to have 7 BB Per 9 so his command is rounding into form.  Walks have been killer for him so far.  His inability to throw strikes early in season has lead to pitch counts racking up and making him exit starts more quickly.  As his command comes back he’ll be able to throw QS starts against good lineups like Philly.  His stuff is very good.  His cost right now is relatively cheap.  Considering cost, and potential upside he’s a great play in fantasy right now.  Not like he’s been heavily invested, or will cost much to acquire.

Another nice command start.  He got a very generous zone tonight, but overall his stuff continues to get more harnessed.  Hopefully some people bought low on him.  He should be a nice SP3/4 as poster above said rest of season.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMFAOOOOO  

In related news: The Titanic set sail on this date in 1912

Well that's not promising. 

Posted Images

I had him on the bench for this start. I will not do that again. He might be rounding into form now. I gotta get every inch of production out of this guy. 

If he stays healthy, he could be 2nd half gold.  I didn't start him last week cuz @Coors & the LAD is not exactly ideal in the match up department, but I'm very happy with how he pitched.  Now might be the time to make offers if you don't own him.

11 hours ago, dicka24 said:

If he stays healthy, he could be 2nd half gold.  I didn't start him last week cuz @Coors & the LAD is not exactly ideal in the match up department, but I'm very happy with how he pitched.  Now might be the time to make offers if you don't own him.

Or pick him up if he was cut and still sitting out there.  I did this morning as I was in need of one more SP.

HIs next matchup is quite nice, especially since the Mets are scheduled to start Vargas (he's awful on the road).  Maybe Darvish can get up to a whopping 3 wins then.

41 minutes ago, remark900 said:

Rolling him out today? Home + Day game stats aren't very promising...

Coming off his best start all year and him saying 'he can move forward now' after his game against the Dodgers, I sure am.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zeezee said:

The winless streak at Wrigley should end today vs Vargas. Let's go Yuuuuuu!

Oops....

You were right though.  No reason why he couldn't have won this game against Vargas.  Two HRs and only 4 runs of run support did him in.  I know 4 should be enough most of the time, but it's against Vargas and the Mets (Vargas is awful on the road), and Darvish even got 2 hits himself and he can't hit.

Overall, an actual encouraging start coming off of 1 really good one and a handful of decent ones, as he continued to show decent command.  Still, it's pretty sad he couldn't get a win out of it.

8 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

4 earned runs in 6 innings. We can keep looking for silver linings after each start but he simply isn't getting it done and we are almost at the halfway point of the season.

Yeah - that’s not great but not bad, either.  It may be time to adjust your expectations downward a notch or two, but he has looked better recently!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

The Yu of old is no more.. Just about waiver wire worthy at this point in 10 team leagues 

He's still useful and he's been better for the last 5 weeks or so. Maybe he's turned a corner. I dropped him after the Miami start where he walked 6 guys and I wish I hadn't.

Edited by fletch44
9 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

The Yu of old is no more.. Just about waiver wire worthy at this point in 10 team leagues 

His stats for the last 30 days:

30.1 IP, 3.56 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 30K. You could do worse. The wins should come if he keeps putting up numbers like these.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

I'm in a 16 team league and he's my SP5. I'd say that's about right.

He is tussling for #4-#5 status on my squad with punks like Eflin and E-Rod.

37 minutes ago, floppy said:

anyone rolling him out there vs braves?

I am, but I'm not really one who tries to "time the market" with my pitchers. It helps that I own Yu in h2h, where he can only impact my ratios for this matchup, but I think he's pitched well enough recently to get the nod. I have Keuchel on my team as well, so I am going to start them both and hopefully get that W one way or the other. 

• Like 1