Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMFAOOOOO  

In related news: The Titanic set sail on this date in 1912

Well that's not promising. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

In my starting lineup. 

Sink or swim? I have a bad feeling the Yu ship 🚢 is going sink. 

I shouldn’t go there, but it is needed. My three starters are Yu, Ray & Pivetta. Disaster is coming 

In related news: The Titanic set sail on this date in 1912

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
9 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I smell a DL stint coming here. Ugh

What makes you say that? Other than the crappy outings, I mean, lol. 

The positive is that he didn't walk anyone yesterday, and despite two of them being HR, he only allowed five hits.

• Like 3

Yeah, I thought he looked much better yesterday than his first two starts The no walks is big.  I worry about command/control issues when these guys come back from elbow issues/long layoffs. The old Yu is probably never coming back. His velo is down a couple MPH from what is was. He's not gonna be that dominant arm. But I'm optimistic if he stays healthy he can pull it together and be a productive starter ROS. 

• Like 2
On 3/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Helium 

Still sounds like a good trade target to acquire.  Just quoting this for some perspective on yesterday.

It's not like we were paying much for him in drafts either. In my $400 cap 16tm dynasty I got him for just $14 so no one was particularly high on him.

His stuff looks decent just missing command with the heater, 2 absolute meatballs served up last night. I think he'll figure things out and be a useful 3-4 in time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

It's not like we were paying much for him in drafts either. In my $400 cap 16tm dynasty I got him for just $14 so no one was particularly high on him.

His stuff looks decent just missing command with the heater, 2 absolute meatballs served up last night. I think he'll figure things out and be a useful 3-4 in time.

My guess is that on a normal summer day, there was at least one more shot that was a HR, maybe 2 

Yu doesn’t get it, may never get it. He’s got hands down the nastiest stuff of any Japanese pitcher that’s come stateside, yet (like most of them) continues to get ahead in counts and nibble till it’s full. Even then, like yesterday, he tries to get cute w/ offspeed pitches that guys foul off or take for a walk. The umpires have seemed to catch on too, and never give him those marginal strikes. It’s like they’re as annoyed w/ his antics as us owners. 

That said, I do believe he will have better numbers going forward. He’s heartfelt about wanting to live up to his contract, but it’s between the ears for ‘ol Darvish more than anything else. 

6 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

Yu doesn’t get it, may never get it. He’s got hands down the nastiest stuff of any Japanese pitcher that’s come stateside, yet (like most of them) continues to get ahead in counts and nibble till it’s full. Even then, like yesterday, he tries to get cute w/ offspeed pitches that guys foul off or take for a walk. The umpires have seemed to catch on too, and never give him those marginal strikes. It’s like they’re as annoyed w/ his antics as us owners. 

That said, I do believe he will have better numbers going forward. He’s heartfelt about wanting to live up to his contract, but it’s between the ears for ‘ol Darvish more than anything else. 

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. He reminds me of Nomo in that regard. Always finishes in the top 5 in Ks but also in the top 5 in BBs. It was frustrating owning Nomo in roto back in the day and it’s frustrating owning Darvish now for the very same reason.

8 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

The worst thing about this isnt that youre probably right, its the fact that its been 7 years in the big leagues and no pitching coaches, managers or catchers have been able to change it.

• Like 1

Agree 100% w/ the last two replies... and I'll add that his pitch counts get absurdly high due to being a K pitcher, which is normal. But how many more Innings could he regularly go in a game if he didn't waste those 25-30 pitches a being "cute"? (Additional K's rather than walks, along w/ an inning or two to help WHIP/ ERA, and he'd have ridiculous numbers annually.)

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

A lot of excuses for this guy.  Maybe he isn't as good as he is made out to be.

The talent and stuff are top 10 in baseball, the results not so much. THIS is why we talk about it so much over the last few years. There are many borderline HOF pitchers who've gotten close to the hall w/ half the talent of Yu, but apparently twice as thick of skin and a lil more grey matter. It's maddening. 

3 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

The talent and stuff are top 10 in baseball, the results not so much. THIS is why we talk about it so much over the last few years. There are many borderline HOF pitchers who've gotten close to the hall w/ half the talent of Yu, but apparently twice as thick of skin and a lil more grey matter. It's maddening. 

The stuff *was* top 10 in baseball. He's not that guy anymore, especially with the diminished velocity.