NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yu Darvish 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, absknicks said:

The stuff *was* top 10 in baseball. He's not that guy anymore, especially with the diminished velocity.

Velo aside, I'd like to see video of 10 other pitchers who can make baseballs twist, turn,dip or dive like Darvish still can. (It was a general statement as to him not being as good as he used to. His stuff isn't gone, he just doesn't attack like he once did.) I do see your point though for sure, but let's not get overly semantical here.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMFAOOOOO  

In related news: The Titanic set sail on this date in 1912

Well that's not promising. 

Posted Images

The guy threw 40 innings last year.  He had an abbreviated spring training.  It could be he simply isn't what he once was, and never will be close to that, but I'm going to wait a while longer before I certify him as a bust.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Control is still a problem but he still has some nasty stuff and was hitting 99 on the gun against the last batter he faced tonight. I'm encouraged.

99 you say? Geez, I don’t even remember him throwing that hard in Texas... I remember 96-97. Good to hear.

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

99 you say? Geez, I don’t even remember him throwing that hard in Texas... I remember 96-97. Good to hear.

I know... I have never seen him throw that hard. At first I thought I heard them wrong because I was only half playing attention but then he threw another one 99. I know radar guns can read a little high, but clearly he was throwing gas.

Seems like the stuff is there. Just have to hope he finds some control and starts to figure things out again. Could be a solid buy low candidate.

He nibbles a little too much, but he worked mostly low in the zone and his breaking stuff had good sharp bite. I think batters will definitely take a patient approach with Darvish until he starts to get the breaking stuff over for strikes a bit more consistently, but if he can get ahead in the count he has the repertoire that will rack up Ks. 

21 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

He nibbles a little too much, but he worked mostly low in the zone and his breaking stuff had good sharp bite. I think batters will definitely take a patient approach with Darvish until he starts to get the breaking stuff over for strikes a bit more consistently, but if he can get ahead in the count he has the repertoire that will rack up Ks. 

I wasn't watching the game super closely so I could be off here, but I did notice he was getting squeezed in a few counts. One count in particular he had 2 pitches on the black that were called balls so he was behind 2-0 in the count instead of 0-2. Just thought of this when you mentioned him nibbling, which I agree with. He tries to paint a little too much sometimes and should just trust his stuff a little more. He really hasn't been right since he completely sh*t the bed in game 7 of the 2017 World Series. Hopefully renewed confidence will come with results. He does need some results first though...

• Like 1

I watched most of that start, as Yu is one of the biggest question marks from my draft and I'm trying to determine what the heck to do with him.  While there is obviously a lot of room for skepticism, I though he looked pretty good at times.  There was just enough there, against an admittedly bad team, that I am patiently holding for now.  He's definitely still got great stuff.  Just needs to make more competitive pitches early in the count, IMHO.

(And yes, I though both starters were getting squeezed a bit).

Edited by Turkey Burgers
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, bradwatson said:

LMFAOOOOO

I know that ball was like 7 feet wide of the plate, but my gawd that ball had some nasty movement on it.   If he gets his control and command in check, he's going to be filthy.

I actually thought he had a few favorable strikes low in the zone but probably evened out.  Was encouraged to see the high velo as he approached 100 pitches for the game.  

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

At what point does this guy become a drop, if not already? He’s been horrendous.

I rage dropped after 2 starts and am beyond glad to be off this ride.  Was never too attached in the first place though, just figured at the price he was going it was worth the gamble.

April is far too early to be cutting someone like Yu from your team. Maybe in a shallow 10 team league where there are a number of quality arms and streamers at all times, but in 12+ team leagues, just wait! April can be a weird month - weather is still a little colder, the season isn;'t a month old and guys like Dan Vogelbach look like fantasy stars. 

I suggest waiting for another few starts. Maybe sit him for his next couple starts. The stuff is there, it's more than evident. I missed what was a bad first inning but he just went though the heart of the dbacks order in the 3rd with ease (and 2 K's). Yu isn't just some flier - he has put together multiple seasons where you would call him an ace in pretty much any # team league. It looks to be in his head and that can change with a dominant start or two. If he was struggling because velocity was down or his secondary pitches looked like s--- I could understand. 

• Thanks 1