Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yu Darvish 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LMFAOOOOO  

In related news: The Titanic set sail on this date in 1912

Well that's not promising. 

Posted Images

The cheeky strategy is to drop him to waivers before the Miami game, have him throw a decent start and have someone waste their waiver priority on him.

I flipped ahead through his schedule and the only week i saw myself starting him was around July 7th... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Plenty of guys have great stuff that they can't control. The last time he played Miami he was mediocre. If he's mediocre again this time out, that makes him practically unstartable and unrosterable.

 

This post should have been the last one in this thread.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s such an enigma.  Million dollar talent .10 cent brain.  Has such elite stuff, but his pitch sequencing sucks and his command is all over the map.  Not many guys have his level of repitore in the league.  I’m going to be more patient and see it through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally cut bait...just cant trust him and honestly it doesnt really matter who the opponent is if you cant throw strikes.  I realize he has Miami this week but if you cant throw strikes does it really matter what laundry the other team is wearing?  I actually watched his last start versus Miami, had kind of a friendly zone, some "low" strikes that got called helped him out in that start.  Someone else can deal with these ups and downs.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holding due to name value and overall stuff still being good in a league with pretty deep benches. Do not plan on starting anytime soon unless I'm desperate. Hopefully he'll start to figure things out overtime.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He leads ALL qualified starting pitchers in BB/9 and BB% and it's not even close. 7.44 BB/9 and 17.8 BB%. Next closest is Aaron Sanchez at 5.66 and 14.3. He has the highest FIP in the league and the 4th worst SIERA. You cannot succeed in MLB with that kind of command and control. Unless you think he can turn it around, which I don't, he is a clear drop for me. Of course it all depends on your league depth and what is out there

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, the more I think about it, the more I think he's a drop. Horrendous last year...Horrendous this year. It's not like he was a top pick this year, so it's not like he was a huge investment. I don't trust him at all. Will be on my DND list from now on. Probably giving him one more start...if he's bad...see ya.

Edited by hangin n wangin
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Just a few starts ago against Miami had a W 8 Ks and 2ER. Good thing I’m not following your advice.

 

He was still meh in that outing. Didn't last 6 innings, walked 4, hit another. Against that Marlins team, I consider that less than inspiring. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the above link:

Said Davis, Darvish’s catcher: “Yu threw the ball well. The results are going to be misleading, people who didn’t watch the game. At the end of the day he made some really quality pitches.”

I watched and there was nothing misleading

Link to post
Share on other sites

The results weren't misleading. They definitely hurt my ratios and Darvish has done that consistently all year. Having good stuff is one thing. Doing something with it is another. Nick Pivetta has great stuff. He did nothing with it and now he's in the minors. Stuff only gets you so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

He was still meh in that outing. Didn't last 6 innings, walked 4, hit another. Against that Marlins team, I consider that less than inspiring. 

Give  me a W with 8Ks and solid ERA anyday even with a bad WHIP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the hope here is that as he gets further from the injury, his control (and thus walks and HRs) improve. I'm not sure that will happen, but it certainly could. I just don't want to start him until he proves that though

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Why is miami the measuring stick here? they lit up scherzer in bauer already lol

 

Who cares who they've lit up? Its the overall numbers that I take note of and the Marlins are the worst scoring team in the game by more than a 1/2 a run per game @ 2.76 per. So when you really think about it, giving up 2ER in 5 2/3, Yu was actually below average against them

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think the hope here is that as he gets further from the injury, his control (and thus walks and HRs) improve. I'm not sure that will happen, but it certainly could. I just don't want to start him until he proves that though

So it's definitely possible that he could figure it out. But it's a gamble. There's just as good of a chance that he just isn't good anymore. If people want to wait it out and just bench him every single start, that is cool. But that is such a waste of a roster spot for someone who is just pitching atrocious and wasn't even all that high of a draft pick to begin with. Just to hope that he figures it out.

Edited by hangin n wangin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some numbers of optimism from Yu Darvish this year:

 

SwgStr%: 13.0

This would be the highest of his career, by not a large margin, he has been in the 12-12.9% range in his prime. But sure higher than last years 11.1%. But just know that right now he is making batters swing and miss at a higher rate than he ever has.

 

Contact%: 69.3

Again, not surprisingly, also the lowest of his career. In other words batters are making contact with his pitches less than ever before. This usually goes hand  in hand with swgStr% so not surprising..but I brought this up for a reason lets dig a little deeper here..

 

You are probably thinking, well the contact% is the lowest of his career because he throws so many bad pitches/balls now days. Which is true, his zone % is also the lowest of his career which means he is throwing the most he ever has outside of the zone. And Outside of zone contact rate is only 50.5%, also the lowest of his career. So that number definitely skews the contact % down.

 

However, his zone contact % rate is also the lowest of his career. So while yes his contact % and swgStr% could be at career highs because he throws outside of the zone so much, but that wouldn't explain why his zone contact % is also at a career best.

 

 

Summary: In short, he still has the stuff and has been making batters swing and miss better than he ever has before in his career. He just needs to throw more pitches in the zone. Easier said than done for Yu but the turnaround may not be that far away as long as we continue to assume hes healthy. Attack the zone Yu!

 

I expect adjustments next game and think he will have a big game vs. Miami.

 

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

Who cares who they've lit up? Its the overall numbers that I take note of and the Marlins are the worst scoring team in the game by more than a 1/2 a run per game @ 2.76 per. So when you really think about it, giving up 2ER in 5 2/3, Yu was actually below average against them

 

Because fluky starts like that happen. If he gets lit up, he's droppable. If he pitches well against a bad team, then he's still droppable imo. His peripherals say everything you need to know. Even going back to last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Here are some numbers of optimism from Yu Darvish this year:

 

SwgStr%: 13.0

This would be the highest of his career, by not a large margin, he has been in the 12-12.9% range in his prime. But sure higher than last years 11.1%. But just know that right now he is making batters swing and miss at a higher rate than he ever has.

 

Contact%: 69.3

Again, not surprisingly, also the lowest of his career. In other words batters are making contact with his pitches less than ever before. This usually goes hand  in hand with swgStr% so not surprising..but I brought this up for a reason lets dig a little deeper here..

 

You are probably thinking, well the contact% is the lowest of his career because he throws so many bad pitches/balls now days. Which is true, his zone % is also the lowest of his career which means he is throwing the most he ever has outside of the zone. And Outside of zone contact rate is only 50.5%, also the lowest of his career. So that number definitely skews the contact % down.

 

However, his zone contact % rate is also the lowest of his career. So while yes his contact % and swgStr% could be at career highs because he throws outside of the zone so much, but that wouldn't explain why his zone contact % is also at a career best.

 

 

Summary: In short, he still has the stuff and has been making batters swing and miss better than he ever has before in his career. He just needs to throw more pitches in the zone. Easier said than done for Yu but the turnaround may not be that far away as long as we continue to assume hes healthy

 

I haven't dropped yet and will give him a little bit more of a leash. But I am close to dropping. But just curious, what is your leash for him?? Assuming he keeps getting turtle shelled every start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...