NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2019 Outlook

11 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Maybe. I think an acquisition of Drake would be an indication that the team isn't impressed with Williams. Agreed on Drake getting passing down work, but Williams already does. This is a time share either way, it's just whether it's a Jones/Williams split, or a Jones/Drake split. But yeah, Drake is better than Williams. 

Well luckily it looks like this prob won’t happen (knock on wood to be sure) but yeah you have well reasoned arguments. You may be right that Drake isn’t a huge threat to Jones. If it ends up with Drake going to Green Bay let’s hope... 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sell high buy low stuff gets completely carried away on here.     Here is a new strategy.  Jones is a good running back.  Keep him.  Start him.  

I don't know what you guys were watching but I thought he looked fine. He will have better days ahead against much worse defenses than he's faced these first 4 weeks. I expect the whole offense to loo

"Against weaker defenses Jamaal Williams will be more effective? There's no difference in effectiveness between the two RBs?"   Jones had 5.5 YPC last year and sits at 5.0 for his career. Ja

Posted Images

5 hours ago, akooreman180 said:

I’ll believe all these 50-50 split rumors when I see it. IMO, the best usage for Jones would be around 2/3 of the playing time. Similar to what he’s been getting.

Agreed, I don’t buy this even share bs that lafleur is talking about... I think it’ll stay roughly as it is Jones getting about two thirds of the work 

• Like 2

That early TD that Jamal Williams got would have put Jones way over the top, but other than situations like that Jones owners shouldn't want Jones seeing 30+ touches/game. Let Williams get in the mix, take on some blitzers in pass protection and help pound the rock. A fresh and healthy Aaron Jones is what's important, he's not a volume-dependent RB. If he can get 14-20 carries and 3-5 catches per game he's going to have a great season. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 5
13 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

That early TD that Jamal Williams got would have put Jones way over the top, but other than situations like that Jones owners shouldn't want Jones seeing 30+ touches/game. Let Williams get in the mix, take on some blitzers in pass protection and help pound the rock. A fresh and healthy Aaron Jones is what's important, he's not a volume-dependent RB. If he can get 14-20 carries and 3-5 catches per game he's going to have a great season. 

If he can get around 20 touches per game I think he’s easily an RB1. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Goatstain3 said:

Not worried, one bit  Jones is the far more, talented player.  Is just a matter of preservation, and keeping him healthy.  

Exactly not worried at all, if the coaching staff want to act dumb and start making this more of a committee I’m sure Aaron Rodger will have to say something about it. He likes jones and wants him on the field. He knows the type of player he is. It’s inky week 3. 

Theyll work him in more and more He did just comeback from injury which is why at the moment they want to give williams more touches. Once they see how healthy he is I’m sure they’ll give him the same work load he had last yr when he exploded 

We also haven’t seen the packers play in a game script where they have to come back from a large deficit. 

I’m sure once they play a better offensive team that can put up point they’ll have jones on the field more often.

Both weeks the packers had the lead. 

No need to worry here 

3 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

We also haven’t seen the packers play in a game script where they have to come back from a large deficit. 

I’m sure once they play a better offensive team that can put up point they’ll have jones on the field more often.

Both weeks the packers had the lead. 

No need to worry here 

Idk...I think I'd rather keep seeing them in close games where they need to have a strong running game.

If they get into full pass mode, I can see them using Williams who they still seem to think it the better pass blocker (which I'm not convinced of).

29 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Idk...I think I'd rather keep seeing them in close games where they need to have a strong running game.

If they get into full pass mode, I can see them using Williams who they still seem to think it the better pass blocker (which I'm not convinced of).

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the original article, nor an end-of-season update, but I recall this from last season (this was written early November 2018). It went against the notion that many (including Mike McCarthy and GB staff) seem to have, towards Williams being a better pass-blocker than Jones:

Aaron Jones is the #1 blocking back in the league, according to PFF. His sample size is pretty small (13 pass block snaps), but no RB has more than 61 pass block snaps. Jones has a grade of 88.8, which is pretty darn good. Meanwhile, Jamaal Williams' grade is 72.2 on 34 snaps.

Beyond that, just from my own eye test of Packers games I've had a chance to watch over the past couple years, I've seen Williams make more mistakes than Jones.

Edited by Corleone
5 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the original article, nor an end-of-season update, but I recall this from last season (this was written early November 2018). It went against the notion that many (including Mike McCarthy and GB staff) seem to have, towards Williams being a better pass-blocker than Jones:

Aaron Jones is the #1 blocking back in the league, according to PFF. His sample size is pretty small (13 pass block snaps), but no RB has more than 61 pass block snaps. Jones has a grade of 88.8, which is pretty darn good. Meanwhile, Jamaal Williams' grade is 72.2 on 34 snaps.

Beyond that, just from my own eye test of Packers games I've had a chance to watch over the past couple years, I've seen Williams make more mistakes than Jones.

Doesn’t matter...coach is infatuated with Jamal Williams. It is borderline stalker is how much they love Jamal in GB

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

I remember that stat about Jones.  And I don't think Williams is a great pass blocker.  I'm just thinking of the Bears game when they went into pass mode, Williams seemed like he was in there more than Jones.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Corleone said:

Yes i have seen countless games since I’m a packer fan and Jones is definitely the better blocker. I just think they don’t want him on the field to much because there is a risk of having him get injured. He is coming off injury so i do understand why they wouldn’t give him too many touches. I’m confident he can do a lot even with limited touches. 

I expect him to have a great game this week as well. At least 15 points in PPR 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, StevenSC400 said:

I don't think he's going to be a RB1 like some had hoped but he's going to be a fine RB2 which is where he was being drafted anyway.

You don't think he's a top 12 RB? He is so far or close.

I think he'll be right on the border. Right around 10th-12th rb in .5 PPR.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got even better as it really seems like he's hitting his stride now. 

Edited by mbell317
  • Like 1