NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, dre said:

I'm not sure anyone is calling for a 30 touch workhorse role from Jones.  I know that I'm not.  I'm looking for some consistency with his touches.  I know there are mitigating factors that play into how many touches a player gets.  But Jones should get 20 touches per game.  Also, to suggest that if he were to get 25 touches a game would result in "him being injured by now" is pure speculation.  There is nothing to suggest that is the case.  Since 2017 he's missed 5 games due to sprained MCLs.  Not much a player can do about injuries like that.  It isn't like he is constantly battling "soft tissue" problems like Alshon Jeffrey.  

I don’t want to get into this old debate that has been had a million times on these forums. Let’s just agree that with the workload he is getting, he is more likely to stay healthy than if he were a complete bell cow. Then let’s acknowledge that with the workload he has gotten, he is the RB7 in PPR. He isn’t going to turn into a bellcow barring a Williams injury, and that’s okay. I love the way he is being used. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sell high buy low stuff gets completely carried away on here.     Here is a new strategy.  Jones is a good running back.  Keep him.  Start him.  

I don't know what you guys were watching but I thought he looked fine. He will have better days ahead against much worse defenses than he's faced these first 4 weeks. I expect the whole offense to loo

"Against weaker defenses Jamaal Williams will be more effective? There's no difference in effectiveness between the two RBs?"   Jones had 5.5 YPC last year and sits at 5.0 for his career. Ja

Posted Images

All we can agree on is that if he keeps getting targeted like he did yesterday he can win you the playoffs this year. 

6-7 targets is a great amount for a floor. The bears haven’t been the best against the run lately so he could have a solid week. It’s the playoffs so I’d hope for another 30 point game but would be just as happy with an 19-22 point game. That’s wishful thinking but at this point we just have to be positive that they threw the ball to him and not to jamal. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I don’t want to get into this old debate that has been had a million times on these forums. Let’s just agree that with the workload he is getting, he is more likely to stay healthy than if he were a complete bell cow. Then let’s acknowledge that with the workload he has gotten, he is the RB7 in PPR. He isn’t going to turn into a bellcow barring a Williams injury, and that’s okay. I love the way he is being used. 

Please don't bring up RB7.  I'd rather have the RB20 if it means I'm getting consistent production.  Especially at this point in the season.

2 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

All we can agree on is that if he keeps getting targeted like he did yesterday he can win you the playoffs this year. 

6-7 targets is a great amount for a floor. The bears haven’t been the best against the run lately so he could have a solid week. It’s the playoffs so I’d hope for another 30 point game but would be just as happy with an 19-22 point game. That’s wishful thinking but at this point we just have to be positive that they threw the ball to him and not to jamal. 

That's it.   It's all about the targets.   If this last game is any indication of how they're going to use him, I'm happy. 

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That's it.   It's all about the targets.   If this last game is any indication of how they're going to use him, I'm happy. 

Yessir 6 targets vs giants and 7 vs Washington. I definitely hope they do the same against the bears. 

The good thing is the game is at home so he might just have a good day. Just as long as Jamal has very limited work 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I don't need or want to debate as we seem to have differing opinions and that's cool.  I will agree to disagree on the fact that he is more likely to stay healthy with the amount of touches he is getting now as opposed to being the bell cow.  I guess I'd like to know what your definition of a "bell cow" is as you keep using that phrase.  If your definition is 30 touches a game like you stated earlier, there isn't a RB in the league that is averaging 30 touches a game.  McCaffrey is averaging 19 rush attempts and 8 targets per game.  Just shy of that.  Jones is averaging 13 carries and 4 targets a game.  I think that number should be 20-25 personally.  

I've been a Jones supporter from day 1 and always believed he was the superior talent over Williams.  It is obvious this is the true and his touches, playing time need to reflect that.  And that is from purely a Packers fan perspective, not fantasy related.  

• Like 1

What is really confounding to me is the previous lack of use in the passing game.  It's clear that he's the better pass catcher and better runner in space.  If LeFleur is dead set on splitting carries, it seems that Jones should at least get the lion's share of 3rd down work.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, K197040 said:

What is really confounding to me is the previous lack of use in the passing game.  It's clear that he's the better pass catcher and better runner in space.  If LeFleur is dead set on splitting carries, it seems that Jones should at least get the lion's share of 3rd down work.  

I thought pass protection was the issue with jones...not going to let Rodger get killed against a team with an elite pass rush. Like the bears next week

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

Yup, completely agree.  Early on in their careers Williams was in on 3rd downs because he was the better pass protecting back.  However, I can't recall any recent plays where Jones has been in on 3rd down and missed a block which allowed Rodgers to get blown up.  So, I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

• Like 1
Just now, Dr. Whom said:

I thought pass protection was the issue with jones...not going to let Rodger get killed against a team with an elite pass rush. Like the bears next week

I don't know if I buy that there is a big discrepancy between the two.  Granted, I haven't watched every game in full but I've seen Williams miss plenty of assignments. 

Just now, K197040 said:

I don't know if I buy that there is a big discrepancy between the two.  Granted, I haven't watched every game in full but I've seen Williams miss plenty of assignments. 

No size discrepancy between the two? Just seems like Williams is in more against tougher defenses and jones runs wild on weaker teams

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

No size discrepancy between the two? Just seems like Williams is in more against tougher defenses and jones runs wild on weaker teams

Yup i have seen them play Jamal a lot more against tougher defenses. Even so if it’s a tougher defense give jones more targets than Jamal’s. And then split carries. Idk why they always go away from giving jones the ball when they play tougher defenses. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HOF12 said:

Yup i have seen them play Jamal a lot more against tougher defenses. Even so if it’s a tougher defense give jones more targets than Jamal’s. And then split carries. Idk why they always go away from giving jones the ball when they play tougher defenses. 

Yeah...seems like next week will be a Jamal week unless they can run the ball effectively. They feed jones when they can run so it seems almost defense dependent to me anyways

3 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

Because the tougher defenses are hard to run against and the O-Line isn't that great.  So, they try to run a handful of times, Jones gets stuffed cuz there aren't any holes, and then they let Rodgers throw it all over the place.  

19 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yeah...seems like next week will be a Jamal week unless they can run the ball effectively. They feed jones when they can run so it seems almost defense dependent to me anyways

17 minutes ago, dre said:

Because the tougher defenses are hard to run against and the O-Line isn't that great.  So, they try to run a handful of times, Jones gets stuffed cuz there aren't any holes, and then they let Rodgers throw it all over the place.  

Yup this time around tho if they have trouble running the ball they have better throw to jones at least. Less than 5 targets in the games vs chargers,niners and Carolina. I believe he had 1 vs niners, 3 vs chargers and 0 vs Carolina. 

These last two games tho have looked better. It was nice to hear lefleur admit that in the plays where it’s a design pass play to the Rb jones should be the one in the game. 

2 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

Yup this time around tho if they have trouble running the ball they have better throw to jones at least. Less than 5 targets in the games vs chargers,niners and Carolina. I believe he had 1 vs niners, 3 vs chargers and 0 vs Carolina. 

These last two games tho have looked better. It was nice to hear lefleur admit that in the plays where it’s a design pass play to the Rb jones should be the one in the game. 

Absolutely!  Outside of Adams, they don't have any other dynamic playmakers.  It is Jones and Adams, that's all they've got.  Besides Rodgers obviously.  Why you wouldn't want the ball in their hands as much as possible is beyond me.  The Chargers game was especially frustrating.  Jones just came off of a 7 rec for 159 yard game the week prior against the Chiefs.  How you only give him 3 targets in that game is beyond me.  

1 hour ago, dre said:

I don't need or want to debate as we seem to have differing opinions and that's cool.  I will agree to disagree on the fact that he is more likely to stay healthy with the amount of touches he is getting now as opposed to being the bell cow.  I guess I'd like to know what your definition of a "bell cow" is as you keep using that phrase.  If your definition is 30 touches a game like you stated earlier, there isn't a RB in the league that is averaging 30 touches a game.  McCaffrey is averaging 19 rush attempts and 8 targets per game.  Just shy of that.  Jones is averaging 13 carries and 4 targets a game.  I think that number should be 20-25 personally.  

I've been a Jones supporter from day 1 and always believed he was the superior talent over Williams.  It is obvious this is the true and his touches, playing time need to reflect that.  And that is from purely a Packers fan perspective, not fantasy related.  

You disagree that more touches increases the chance of injury?... 

I’m sure Kerryon Johnson owners were thrilled with his workload before he went down. 
Obviously bellcow is a subjective term, but I’d say a fair definition is a player that has a near monopoly on his backfield. There are only a handful in the NFL. If a guy is averaging 20+ touches, he typically falls in that category. It’s awesome that Jones is even close to that. 

The point that seems to be eluding people in here is that Lafleur is not a raging idiot that is blind to the talent of Jones. He just realizes that it is a violent sport, and if he can get solid production out of two backs instead of running one into the ground, he will. Jones is an explosive talent that feeds on efficiency and big plays. You don’t really want him grinding a defense down the way you would for a player like Fournette. But this is just my opinion. I completely understand the desire for a big juicy workload. 

8 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I’m sure Kerryon Johnson owners were thrilled with his workload before he went down. 
Obviously bellcow is a subjective term, but I’d say a fair definition is a player that has a near monopoly on his backfield. There are only a handful in the NFL. If a guy is averaging 20+ touches, he typically falls in that category. It’s awesome that Jones is even close to that. 

The point that seems to be eluding people in here is that Lafleur is not a raging idiot that is blind to the talent of Jones. He just realizes that it is a violent sport, and if he can get solid production out of two backs instead of running one into the ground, he will. Jones is an explosive talent that feeds on efficiency and big plays. You don’t really want him grinding a defense down the way you would for a player like Fournette. But this is just my opinion. I completely understand the desire for a big juicy workload. 

I mean, if that were the case then most people would be working from home. It is much safer than getting in your car everyday and driving to work. More exposure to anything poses a greater risk. An NFL player can go down on any play. Do you want to minimize risk of injury to a player or maximize winning potential game to game? Because playing that game is always risky business. LaFleur IS a raging idiot that is blind to the talent of Jones. He should be averaging 20 touches per game.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

Kerryon Johnson was averaging 16 touches per game.........

• Thanks 1

The packers are 10-3...are you guys saying they would be undefeated by feeding Aaron Jones non-stop? Seems like what they are doing is working...

13 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

The packers are 10-3...are you guys saying they would be undefeated by feeding Aaron Jones non-stop? Seems like what they are doing is working...

Nope, I'm not.  I'm only saying that I would like to see Jones's usage be more consistent.  Maybe the game against the Chargers turns out differently if they get Jones involved in the passing game like they did the week before against the Chiefs.  Maybe they beat the Eagles if they give Jones a couple of tries to punch the ball in from the goal line when they had 4 tries.  Just because they are 10-3 doesn't mean we can't be critical of the team.

Edited by dre
  • Like 1