NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2019 Outlook

56 minutes ago, K197040 said:

It could have been 4 points worse. 

actually could have been negative points plus injury worse.

but did you really honestly expect a week  winning performance?  he got pretty much 50% of his projected points last night against last years best rush defense. 1 TD every 60 some carries allowed.  the only things that mattered about last night were 1, he didn't get hurt and have to miss the game. and 2 he basically doubled Williams in carries.  you still have an entire roster to make up the remaining 4-5 points he was projected to get last night.

4 minutes ago, lla887 said:

Leonard Fournette

Chris Carson

Sony Michel

Kerryon Johnson

Josh Jacobs

This is a list of running backs I could have and probably should have taken in the spot where I drafted Jones.  

i had fournette and carson ahead of him but michael/johnson/jacobs/jones were in that same tier for me.  carson was a weird case because his adp was so low. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sell high buy low stuff gets completely carried away on here.     Here is a new strategy.  Jones is a good running back.  Keep him.  Start him.  

I don't know what you guys were watching but I thought he looked fine. He will have better days ahead against much worse defenses than he's faced these first 4 weeks. I expect the whole offense to loo

"Against weaker defenses Jamaal Williams will be more effective? There's no difference in effectiveness between the two RBs?"   Jones had 5.5 YPC last year and sits at 5.0 for his career. Ja

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Playing the Bears in week one in a new system offered absolutely no clear read on how this will go. Until next week.

Disagree.  The usage was confirmation that it's a timeshare.  Lafleur stated it would be a timeshare in the preseason, and now we know he meant it.  It may be more of a timeshare in snap count than touches (I still think Jones gets more touches), but it's definitely not Jones' backfield.

• Haha 1
Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

Disagree.  The usage was confirmation that it's a timeshare.  Lafleur stated it would be a timeshare in the preseason, and now we know he meant it.  It may be more of a timeshare in snap count than touches (I still think Jones gets more touches), but it's definitely not Jones' backfield.

This...he was out there half the time which is no bueno

7 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

13 attempts for jones to 5 attempts for Williams = 72% share for Jones.  There are maybe 4 backs in the league who will see a larger percentage of carries.  Note: I am not counting Rodgers 3 runs or MVS 1 run.

8 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I wasn’t intently watching the whole game, but if Lafleur has eyes, he will stop giving runs to Williams stat. Unless he enjoys watching someone half heartedly trot parallel to the line in the backfield, stop and wait for tacklers to come and get him.

23 minutes ago, lla887 said:

Leonard Fournette

Chris Carson

Sony Michel

Kerryon Johnson

Josh Jacobs

This is a list of running backs I could have and probably should have taken in the spot where I drafted Jones.  

Eh in that list, only Fournette and Carson will have more opportunity than Aaron

Edited by Itachi_is_the_goat
1 minute ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Eh in that list, only Fournette and Carson will have more opportunity than Aaron

This is true.  And it’s possible Carson is in a timeshare too.  And Fournette hasn’t played a full season ... ever.   Jones may still be the cream of that crop.  

1 hour ago, elroypedro said:

You can’t say he didn’t look bad. He looked ******** AWFUL. Inexcusably bad. There are literally memes across the internet right now making fun of him for looking drunk on the field. Don’t lie

From that one run in which he stumbled fine, but he look much better as a runner than williams. He had way more burst/power, when he finally was getting into a groove he hurt his hand/neck. I don't own him or Montgomery, but those two were head and shoulders the best 2 rbs on the field. He had nowhere to go, I could understand if williams had like 5 for 40, but HE LITERALLY AVERAGED 0 yard per carry. We all learned to NEVER start a rb against the bears if you can. 

11 minutes ago, herschel said:

13 attempts for jones to 5 attempts for Williams = 72% share for Jones.  There are maybe 4 backs in the league who will see a larger percentage of carries.  Note: I am not counting Rodgers 3 runs or MVS 1 run.

Agree.  I even made a comment that the timeshare may be more about snaps than touches, but Jamal was on the field a LOT and they were alternating series.  They weren't rotating based on down/distance.

On the other hand, Jamal looked like a terrible runner last night.  As usual.

3 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

From that one run in which he stumbled fine, but he look much better as a runner than williams. He had way more burst/power, when he finally was getting into a groove he hurt his hand/neck. I don't own him or Montgomery, but those two were head and shoulders the best 2 rbs on the field. He had nowhere to go, I could understand if williams had like 5 for 40, but HE LITERALLY AVERAGED 0 yard per carry. We all learned to NEVER start a rb against the bears if you can. 

This is true.  Unfortunately for AJ owners they face them again in week 15.

23 minutes ago, nromn said:

I wasn’t intently watching the whole game, but if Lafleur has eyes, he will stop giving runs to Williams stat. Unless he enjoys watching someone half heartedly trot parallel to the line in the backfield, stop and wait for tacklers to come and get him.

Or he will stop giving JWill carries when Rodgers comes out and says that Jones needs to play more because he can make plays and help move the ball.  Rodgers did this last year and that is when they started giving a majority of the series to Jones.  Also, Williams could have had more series last night because Jones (none of the starters) was in game shape after not playing in the preseason, ARod didn't look too good and definitely had to shake some rust off for most of the game.

34 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

You don't think Josh Jacobs will have more opportunity than Aaron Jones?  Gruden is going to run Jacobs until he can't run no more.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I didn't mention timeshare. I'm referring to Jones' productivity in the opportunities he receives.

Just now, Spyplane said:

I didn't mention timeshare. I'm referring to Jones' productivity in the opportunities he receives.

I generally agree with you.  My only comment was that there were some who believed Aaron Jones would be the bellcow, and I didn't see that last night.  He did get the bigger share of touches and I expect that to continue, but if he's alternating series, his upside is capped.

5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I generally agree with you.  My only comment was that there were some who believed Aaron Jones would be the bellcow, and I didn't see that last night.  He did get the bigger share of touches and I expect that to continue, but if he's alternating series, his upside is capped.

I think its hard to get a read on. He got nothing going for the most part but the Bears were playing really good against the run.This was probably his most difficult test of the season and he failed and they may have merely went to Williams in an attempt to spark something, anything. It may have been a shot in the dark. Jones is the type of player who might make or break a team given where he tends to be drafted.

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

Did you write match-up proof in here?

Yep, I did. Even the very top RBs like Barkley, Kamara, CMC all have off games at least a couple times a year. Assuming you got Aaron Jones in the 3rd-4th round, you can't realistically expect him to never have a bad game. I'm still high on Jones and it's not like he's the only packer to have a bad game. The whole team literally stunk on offense. Outlier game. Buy low.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NBatum88 said:

Yep, I did. Even the very top RBs like Barkley, Kamara, CMC all have off games at least a couple times a year. Assuming you got Aaron Jones in the 3rd-4th round, you can't realistically expect him to never have a bad game. I'm still high on Jones and it's not like he's the only packer to have a bad game. The whole team literally stunk on offense. Outlier game. Buy low.

Can't help myself....always looking to stir the pot.  Jones was a target of mine in the 3rd round.  Unfortunately I never got a chance to buy as he was scooped up in the 2nd round in BOTH of my 12-man ppr drafts.

I couldn't believe it.  First draft I thought was an outlier but both?  Hope he pans out for you guys but I suspect Williams is gonna be a thorn throughout the season capping AJ's full potential. 

Then again maybe Williams does just enough to keep AJ healthy and fresh to maximize his explosiveness.     

Only time will tell.

First week, great D, both offenses looked rusty, but at the end of the day I just don't think any RB will put up big numbers in this offense. It's the ARod show, and I get why, but Jones was always a relatively low ceiling guy for me because he's just never gonna be fed like RBs on a lot of other teams. 

I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but anyone calling him a bust after this game is just being flat out stupid. He faced the best run defense and their offense hasn’t played in the preseason. In addition, Rodgers was getting slaughtered so it made sense to play Williams more as the better pass blocker. I guess Davante Adams is a bust too? 

Edited by akooreman180
1 minute ago, akooreman180 said:

I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but anyone calling him a bust after this game is just being flat out stupid. He faced the best run defense and their offense hasn’t played in the preseason. In addition, Rodgers was getting slaughtered so it made sense to play Williams more as the better pass blocker. I guess Davante Adams is a bust too? 

Depends where he was drafted.

People drafted him assuming Jamaal wouldnt be able to hold his jock strap but that appears to not be the case in the coaches eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Depends where he was drafted.

People drafted him assuming Jamaal wouldnt be able to hold his jock strap but that appears to not be the case in the coaches eyes.

I guess that’s fair. I always thought that Jamaal would be involved in an about 70-30 split which should be enough for Jones to be productive. I think it was 66-34 last night and that should be the most Jamaal was utilized due to it being Chicago.

• Like 1