NBC Sports EDGE Forums

George Springer 2019 Outlook

STLSU

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

52 minutes ago, Magoo said:

The mother of all sell high candidates with his track record.

His track record? he's a career .270 hitter and averages 33 homers and 11 steals a season (with a .360 OBP).

Why is it crazy to think he can't match what he did in 2017 (.283 BA, 34 homers), or be better? Guy was battling injuries last year. This year + the previous 2 years gives him a .280 BA over that 3 year window averaging 36 homers a year and 8 SB.

The difference between this year and 2017?

Springers first 41 games in 2017 : .235 BA, 9 HR...

He hit .303 with 25 HR after his first 41 games that year.

He's already off to a hot start. He'd have to be dreadful to not finish with career year #'s. Even if you want to forecast his next 110 games, you have to think he's a .290+ hitter with 20+ homers left.

So, yeah, sell high for what? You'd have to get a top 10 bat to consider "selling high" and I"m not convinced there are 10 guys you can lock in as better than him ROS. I also don't think you're going to find anyone to pay what he'll likely provide. Sure, you might be able to line up a great buy low/sell high deal, getting a guy like Nola or Scherzer with an OF like, idk, Jose Ramirez? But do you think someone really does that? I don't.

Springer is legit. Trade him away at your own peril.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 1:09 PM, Magoo said:

The mother of all sell high candidates with his track record.

For the right price sure. He's playing out of his mind right now but I see him keeping it up, obviously not at the same blistering pace but he's having a great season and I don't see anything that indicates fluke. If you get a great offer sure trade, but don't go out of your way to sell. 

Hope the fact they left him in for 3 AB proves it to just be cautionary--add the fact that evidently he was grabbing at his back the other night and then went on to hit a HR in that game.

Edited by nlm

1 minute ago, nlm said:

The fact they left him in for 3AB proves it to just be cautionary--add the fact that evidently he was grabbing at his back the other night and then went on to hit a HR in that game.

Struck out 3 times. My guess is it’s a bit more than just “precautionary”. 

He looked bad, I'm not arguing that. But if it's lower back stiffness, that sounds a lot better than an oblique.

And like I said, he was notably doing similar things the other night with his back before homering in that game. I'd give Chris Sale some credit for the strikeouts.

Edited by nlm

One more positive thing here...back stiffness is pretty standard. I'm glad that's what they're classifying it as vs. back "discomfort" which is a word that scares the crap out of me.

Tending to stiff back
May 19, 2019
The Astros cited lower-back stiffness as the cause of Springer's early removal from Sunday's game against the Red Sox, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.
ANALYSIS
Springer struck out in all three of his plate appearances and appeared to be in discomfort on several swings during the day, prompting the Astros to pull him from the contest. The team is currently viewing Springer's injury as a day-to-day concern, leaving his availability for Monday's series opener with the White Sox uncertain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nlm said:

One more positive thing here...back stiffness is pretty standard. I'm glad that's what they're classifying it as vs. back "discomfort" which is a word that scares the crap out of me.

You mean like Clevinger? He was pulled with back “tightness”. Stiffness, same thing. Fully expected to make his next start.......

9 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

You mean like Clevinger? He was pulled with back “tightness”. Stiffness, same thing. Fully expected to make his next start.......

We'll see how it turns out I guess. I would say the news is better than it could have been.

George Springer is day to day with lower back stiffness, A.J. Hinch said. He will not play tomorrow. Hinch said Springer never got fully loose today and he contemplated taking him out earlier than he did.

Edited by nlm

Looks like he avoided anything serious (seems like he'll miss a game or two):

Springer's MRI on his stiff back revealed no serious injuries, but he's nevertheless out of the lineup for Monday's game against the White Sox, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seems like he will be back at this week at some point.

He is already out for the year.  This board reported it already.

• Like 1

Doesn’t look like they’ll need him, but good news...

Springer (back) is out of Tuesday's lineup but is available to pinch run or play defense, Jake Kaplan of The Athletic reports.

The rotational aspect of swinging a bat is the one thing that's keeping Springer out of the lineup right now. Manager AJ Hinch said Springer will likely be able to return to the lineup sometime during this weekend's series against the Red Sox, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports. Tony Kemp is getting a start in left field with Jake Marisnick starting in center field Tuesday.

Read Less