NBC Sports EDGE Forums

George Springer 2019 Outlook

STLSU

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

1 hour ago, nlm said:

Where are you guys hearing this? I heard he would have to be at 100% to begin a rehab assignment, and was hitting at 80%. Hitting evidently isn't an issue right now, though.
Just curious where you heard he could be back this week. I know he has been doing some running and also taking BP.

I didn't hear that he'd be back this week. I said we'd be lucky if he was back this week.

Springer (hamstring) appears on track to start a rehab assignment over the weekend, Jake Kaplan of The Athletic reports.

ANALYSIS

Springer has been slowly ramping up his baseball activities, and he managed to take batting practice Wednesday for the first time since his left hamstring injury popped up. Assuming all goes well this week, expect the 29-year-old to see some minor-league at-bats in the near future, likely later in the weekend.

George Springer (hamstring) is set to begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Corpus Christi.

That should put him on track to return to the Astros' active roster early next week. Springer has made a relatively swift recovery from a Grade 2 strain of his left hamstring, which sent him to the IL on May 25. He was batting .308/.389/.643 with 17 home runs, 43 RBI, four stolen bases, and 41 runs scored in 48 games before the injury and can hopefully pick up right where he left off.

• Like 1

He's due back Tuesday. He had a successful rehab stint in which he had a 2 hr game, and is due to rejoin the team for the start of the series Tuesday. Weekly leagues should be safe to pencil him in IMO.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, TheBigBambino said:

Back today?

nah.

Springer was diagnosed with a mild concussion and the Astros hope to have him back by early next week, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

Initially the team said the tests were encouraging, but now he has been ruled out through the end of this week. Assuming he gets medically cleared, he should rejoin the lineup at some point during next week's four game series against Oakland. Kyle Tucker should see some opportunities in Springer's absence.

• 4 weeks later...

Had Springer not missed so many games this season (like maybe 10 instead of 40), he would've had a case for AL MVP. 

Missing those games hurt fantasy owners some, but when he played he was as guys that cost you more $$/higher draft picks. Great season from Springer. Where do you take this guy next year? Second round?

1 minute ago, '71 Bucks said:

Had Springer not missed so many games this season (like maybe 10 instead of 40), he would've had a case for AL MVP. 

Missing those games hurt fantasy owners some, but when he played he was as guys that cost you more $$/higher draft picks. Great season from Springer. Where do you take this guy next year? Second round?

No way. In standard, I'd probably look at him at the 3/4 turn at the earliest.

• Like 1