Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yoan Moncada 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Is Moncada being pushed to 3rd this year due to Madrigals presence?  I know it was mentioned in an ESPN update that he will be playing some third base during spring training but wondering if anyone has any inside information or heard the scoop on this situation? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to quote myself first because I'm not sure what all I've said. To me, if there is (and there is) one player that I've physically changed a great deal on my rankings from March 1st to today

The book is out on him big-time.  I've watched multiple lefties come into the game, seemingly just for him, and they're throwing nothing but breaking balls down or outside.  I think Oliver Perez's seq

He's 23!  

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Is Moncada being pushed to 3rd this year due to Madrigals presence?  I know it was mentioned in an ESPN update that he will be playing some third base during spring training but wondering if anyone has any inside information or heard the scoop on this situation? 

I think he was viewed as an eventual 3B anyway, so I could see him getting some time there this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can’t see the White Sox moving him to third. He finally settled in at second base and has become, at worst, an adequate defender. His range is his best defensive weapon and his hands are his weakest. Bad hands aren’t exactly what you want from a third baseman. He does have the arm, at least. 

 

If anything, I would not be surprised to see them try him in the outfield. Eloy, Robert, and Moncada may be their outfield of the future. At third he’s likely to be a liability, while there’s potential for him to be a plus outfielder.

 

And while one would hate to move Madrigal off of second given that he has the potential to be a gold Glover from the moment he hits the bigs, he has played SS in the past. Many have felt Tim Anderson’s eventual future is in centerfield, so that is a shakeup that could happen as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Machado is going to sign with the Sox.  They have Anderson at SS, so my bet is Machado will play 3B. That leaves Moncada at 2B. He really needs to cut the strikeouts down and stop swinging for the fences every at bat. They also need to unleash him and utilize his so-called speed. He really should be trying to get on base and cause havoc on the base paths...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gnk2727 said:

Machado is going to sign with the Sox.  They have Anderson at SS, so my bet is Machado will play 3B. That leaves Moncada at 2B. He really needs to cut the strikeouts down and stop swinging for the fences every at bat. They also need to unleash him and utilize his so-called speed. He really should be trying to get on base and cause havoc on the base paths...

 

Great speed, poor base-stealer. Sometimes these guys figure it out, sometimes not. 40 SB potential but not counting on it until I see him figure out what he's doing on the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 11:58 PM, tingyangs6 said:

Second coming of Buxton

 

I'm confused.  Buxton was 29/30 stealing bases in 2017 and we're talking about Moncada's struggles on the base paths (15/23).  What is your analysis with this post? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically he didn't quote any one in particular.  So, he could just be giving his view on what Yoan Moncada will become.

 

 

I didn't think Moncada would break out last year.  I do think he will improve on his numbers from last season and surprise a lot of people who've fallen off the wagon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, I like baseball said:

Technically he didn't quote any one in particular.  So, he could just be giving his view on what Yoan Moncada will become.

 

 

I didn't think Moncada would break out last year.  I do think he will improve on his numbers from last season and surprise a lot of people who've fallen off the wagon.

 

Yes the Ks are troubling, with the defense being a close 2nd.  However I feel it's never a good idea to give up on top tier prospects after so few MLB ABs.  Very few (if any) players reach their potential in their age 23 season.  His ceiling should obviously be tempered given his current progression, and he really isn't a guy I would be targeting as a value pick at this point.  But, with an adp of around 150, & 20/20 seemingly very possible one can argue he will be worth the price tag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SportsFan10 said:

WHS needs to hire a great base running coach, I don’t see it from the list of coach on their official website. I think a great coach can teach Moncada how to become a great base stealer. 

 

I could be remembering wrong, but I believe they brought in Tim Raines, maybe the greatest baserunner of all-time, to work with him and Anderson last year. Not much more you can do than that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Chewy47 said:

So at this point does Moncada still hold value in keeper leagues? It's too soon to give up on him isn't it? Or not?

 

Depends on how many keepers you can keep and how many of them on your roster is ahead of him. I do feel that 2019, we will see some good improvement (not necessary a breakout) to his 2018 numbers. He did request for the coaches for some extra time to work on his issues during offseason, so there is that going for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chewy47 said:

So at this point does Moncada still hold value in keeper leagues? It's too soon to give up on him isn't it? Or not?

Im very interested in watching this kid this year for one huge reason.  My favorite hitting coach in the entire world just got hired by the Sox. IF this kid spends some time with him,  i have to believe he makes offensive strides fwd. 

 

Im not calling a breakout,  as I'm not even sure they will end up working together.  But im watching and hoping for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, sleepysock said:

 

I could be remembering wrong, but I believe they brought in Tim Raines, maybe the greatest baserunner of all-time, to work with him and Anderson last year. Not much more you can do than that. 

We are about to find out if Ricky Henderson reads these forums... waiting...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 12:36 PM, Chewy47 said:

So at this point does Moncada still hold value in keeper leagues? It's too soon to give up on him isn't it? Or not?

Far too soon to give up, especially since he was known to have strikeout issues when he came up.

 

However, he does walk a lot, 10% last year and 12% in 2H so that's a good sign from a discipline perspective, it will also prop up his stolen base opportunities.

 

There's nothing in his profile that suggests he made the necessary adjustments to break out, but he did improve from 1H to 2H, his talent is immense, and prospect growth is not linear. 

 

He's got his work cut out for him, but talent is too good to lose hope this early. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Far too soon to give up, especially since he was known to have strikeout issues when he came up.

 

However, he does walk a lot, 10% last year and 12% in 2H so that's a good sign from a discipline perspective, it will also prop up his stolen base opportunities.

 

There's nothing in his profile that suggests he made the necessary adjustments to break out, but he did improve from 1H to 2H, his talent is immense, and prospect growth is not linear. 

 

He's got his work cut out for him, but talent is too good to lose hope this early. 

People were ready to give up on Javier Baez quickly as well based on his strikeout issues.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when the Sox dealt Sale to the Sawx and got Moncada back as the headliner. I was thrilled! Here's hoping that he finally lives up to his hype. I hope he's been attending some plate discipline seminars this off-season, and praying to an idol of Tony Gwynn.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I remember when the Sox dealt Sale to the Sawx and got Moncada back as the headliner. I was thrilled! Here's hoping that he finally lives up to his hype. I hope he's been attending some plate discipline seminars this off-season, and praying to an idol of Tony Gwynn.

Plate discipline seminars? He has a 23% O-Swing (18th best in MLB, only 1% higher than Trout) and walks 10%. If anything that's one of his strengths.

 

Now maybe his 2 strike approach needs work, but his issues are mainly contact related, only 79.8% Z-Contact which is 12th worst in baseball. So praying to Tony Gwynn will serve him well... either him or Jobu.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Plate discipline seminars? He has a 23% O-Swing (18th best in MLB, only 1% higher than Trout) and walks 10%. If anything that's one of his strengths.

 

Now maybe his 2 strike approach needs work, but his issues are mainly contact related, only 79.8% Z-Contact which is 12th worst in baseball. So praying to Tony Gwynn will serve him well... either him or Jobu.

Yeah I guess I just meant his 33% K-rate, although as you pointed out, his discipline otherwise is positive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I remember when the Sox dealt Sale to the Sawx and got Moncada back as the headliner. I was thrilled! Here's hoping that he finally lives up to his hype. I hope he's been attending some plate discipline seminars this off-season, and praying to an idol of Tony Gwynn.

 

If he has a kid can he bring him/her into the dressing room???

 

If the White sox get a good pitcher ever again will they force him to wear stupid jerseys affecting his pitching ability/flexibility???

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, turner46 said:

 

If he has a kid can he bring him/her into the dressing room???

 

If the White sox get a good pitcher ever again will they force him to wear stupid jerseys affecting his pitching ability/flexibility???

Ahh sale was whining.

 

Still, it is hokey sh**. I think the w sox learned from those experiences 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Plate discipline seminars? He has a 23% O-Swing (18th best in MLB, only 1% higher than Trout) and walks 10%. If anything that's one of his strengths.

 

Now maybe his 2 strike approach needs work, but his issues are mainly contact related, only 79.8% Z-Contact which is 12th worst in baseball. So praying to Tony Gwynn will serve him well... either him or Jobu.

 

Agree, he needs to work on 2-strike approach, based on this article I think he needs to be a bit more aggressive in 2 strike counts. I can't find his overall 2018 called strikeouts vs. swing and miss strikeouts, but in the article which was written back in June 2018, he had about 1/3 of his strikeouts came from called strikeouts. That's quite a bit, so not being as selective in 2 strike counts, plus also to improve on his contact rate, it should help reduce his K rate tremendously.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if he doesn't show tremendous strides this year I think he is still a great value at his current 150 ADP. He could do something like 20hr/15sb .250/.330 and people would still probably be disappointed. Which is a testament of the potential he has. He's one of those guys where it wouldn't be surprising if next year we're talking about a 2nd/3rd rounder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...