NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yoan Moncada 2019 Outlook

On 1/8/2019 at 12:41 PM, gnk2727 said:

Machado is going to sign with the Sox.  They have Anderson at SS, so my bet is Machado will play 3B. That leaves Moncada at 2B. He really needs to cut the strikeouts down and stop swinging for the fences every at bat. They also need to unleash him and utilize his so-called speed. He really should be trying to get on base and cause havoc on the base paths...

Sounds like

mlhayes2_2.jpg

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to quote myself first because I'm not sure what all I've said. To me, if there is (and there is) one player that I've physically changed a great deal on my rankings from March 1st to today

The book is out on him big-time.  I've watched multiple lefties come into the game, seemingly just for him, and they're throwing nothing but breaking balls down or outside.  I think Oliver Perez's seq

He's 23!  

Posted Images

Off to a good start after a nice spring. Small sample obviously but no strikeouts yet over 2 games. His biggest problem was or is contact / bat control. He knows the strike zone and when to lay off and when to swing but has not shown ability to make contact at a decent rate. He is still only 23 years old. Many players have broken out not until 25-29 years old. I think he is worth a pickup just in case this is a breakout year for him. 

24 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Off to a good start after a nice spring. Small sample obviously but no strikeouts yet over 2 games. His biggest problem was or is contact / bat control. He knows the strike zone and when to lay off and when to swing but has not shown ability to make contact at a decent rate. He is still only 23 years old. Many players have broken out not until 25-29 years old. I think he is worth a pickup just in case this is a breakout year for him. 

dude should been drafted around 125-150 after his ST if you factor in his upside pedigree and power speed profile.

have a good amount shares of him but didn't have the balls to get more.

• Like 1

I feel better about a possible breakout when I read about changes the player has made and I found this article from 2 months ago that talks about a change in grip to better cover the outside of the plate. There is also a different mindset and approach... a certain agressiveness. Interesting.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/continuing-education-yoan-moncada-i-think-year-going-be-much-better-year

• Like 2

I grabbed him at 97 in my last draft tonight (yes I have a league that insists we draft a week into the season). Not sure if that was a reach but the ceiling is so huge with this guy. 25/20 and 100 runs w/o a team-sinking BA? Seems very doable. Read somewhere that Abreu got on him to stop taking so many fastballs (I'm sure others told him the same) and so far this year he's been very aggressive in jumping on the first decent heater he sees. Also not swinging at as much OOZ garbage. When he squares up the ball he really demolishes it.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

I grabbed him at 97 in my last draft tonight (yes I have a league that insists we draft a week into the season). Not sure if that was a reach but the ceiling is so huge with this guy. 25/20 and 100 runs w/o a team-sinking BA? Seems very doable. Read somewhere that Abreu got on him to stop taking so many fastballs (I'm sure others told him the same) and so far this year he's been very aggressive in jumping on the first decent heater he sees. Also not swinging at as much OOZ garbage. When he squares up the ball he really demolishes it.

I'd have taken him in the top 100 picks most likely if I had a draft today. I'm desperate to get to some film study of his 2018 v. 2019 swing to what he might be donig differejntly. His Z-Contact is great and I don't care how short the sample is, I'd argue that it would be difficult to find a sample of five games this good in that regard in his career. Like last year he started off on fire, but he was K'n 36% of the time. Now he's on fire at like 16%. Massive difference. 

He'll get a fat deal if he's a 4ish WAR player this season. Probably something similar to Eloy's deal -- buy out the arb years + tack on a couple 8-figure options. 

I saw Moncada at Charlotte a bunch when I lived in NC and he's one of a small handful of baseball players from this era I've seen in person that looked physically scary. Like a pro wrestler or NFL linebacker. Reminded me of the steroid era when everyone looked like they could snap you in half. Guy had Frank Thomas arms (ok, slight exaggeration) at age 21. The fact that he has 70 speed on top of that, well you can see why he was the top prospect in baseball despite being a poor defender (at the time, he looks fine now) and lacking all ability to hit any pitch that wasn't straight. He's exactly the sort of prospect that takes a little extra time to really get going.

• Like 2

3 doubles, 2 HR and only 3 K's in 23 PA.

Struck out just once in 3 PA against Clevinger in an 8-pitch at bat.  Then walked in his first 2 PA against Kluber before doubling against him in the 3rd PA.

Very early, but promising so far.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Michael Bluth said:

This guys on fire? I know let’s move him down to 5th! Smh

You do realize that he’s a switch hitter that historically sucks batting right handed to the tune of a .611 OPS. And that the he has only had 1 AB vs a LHP so far this season, right?

He’ll have to earn his way up there v LHP