NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ramon Laureano 2019 Outlook

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been mulling over selling him in my dynasty league and decided to dive into his 2018 MLB production. I think there are some factors hinting at significant risk that he fails to approach his 2018

Guy has a contract for over 20 million, still cooks for himself.     Apparently in this case he probably shouldn't have.

A little late to be a response to the pitty party, but people talking about Laureano like this guy didn’t strike out near 30% last year. There’s significant swing-and-miss. There’s BA risk. And that’s

Posted Images

20 hours ago, arthurpete said:

Trying to be patient with this kid. For those watching his games, is he making decent contact? I see his hard hit% is slightly down from last year but nothing else really stands out.

Just looks like a bad stretch to me. I think the numbers end up ok, about on par with projections but right now he is like about 200 other players, just meddling waiting for his hot streak to start....................

I dropped in a 10-teamer. We have short benches, and he has been very unproductive. To be monitored over the next few weeks for improvements, but he's K'ing a lot, not getting on base, and therefore not getting SBs either. Phenomenal defense doesn't help my team. 

He's K rate is almost up to 30% and his walk rate is lingering around 5%.  Only hitting .147 vs lefties, so chances we see him sitting more and more.  Haven't watched him play recently, but is he starting to press at the plate?  Going into the season he was looking like a 10-15 HR and 20-30 SB guy, and was one of the more touted breakout guys.  Is he still that guy, or is he getting exposed?  

Anyone know whats going on with him?  Is he being over matched or does it just look like he needs to make an adjustment or two.  I assume hes a hold in 14+ team leagues, for now.  

• 4 weeks later...

Really picking it up lately, hitting .319/.356/.574 over the past 30 days.  Seems a threat to push for 20/20 if he stays hot.  Much better platoon splits vs.  RHP so even better if you play in daily leagues and can sit him vs.the better LHP.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Really picking it up lately, hitting .319/.356/.574 over the past 30 days.  Seems a threat to push for 20/20 if he stays hot.  Much better platoon splits vs.  RHP so even better if you play in daily leagues and can sit him vs.the better LHP.

Yeah took him a while to get started but he’s getting on track for the year most of us expected.  Pacing 21hr/13sb as of now and I’d expect the sb numbers to boost as he gets on base more, 20/20 is very realistic.  Biggest disappointment so far is his lack of plate disciple.  His k/bb ratio is horrid, was really hoping for more walks to help the Obp.  If he improves back to his career bb% then the ~.330+ Obp 20/20 guy we hope for isn’t too far off.

• Like 2

Looks like a flawed hitter with 15/20 potential. Last year's .288 BA looks like a fluke.

.230 - .260 looks more realistic.

Huge game today but inconsistency probably will continue given the low BB/high K combo. One hit was on a slow dribbler and the other came against some random guy who was throwing nothing but battle practice FBs.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Looks like a flawed hitter with 15/20 potential. Last year's .288 BA looks like a fluke.

Huge game today but inconsistency probably will continue given the low BB/high K combo. One hit was on a slow dribbler and the other came against some random guy who was throwing nothing but battle practice FBs.

He started out in a stone cold slump.  That always skews a player's numbers for a few months into the season.  That is why his over all stats are so low.  But he has been consistently hitting well over the last month at a .303 average with 5 homers and 5 steals over that month. 

And every single hitter hits against "random guys" at times.  It is whether you can make hay against those guys or not that is a major the telling factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Yeah he's already got 9 HR so I'm not sure about 15 HR "potential." There's almost 60% of the season left to be played so 15 would be a bit of a disappointment at this point. Also, as @The Big Bat Theory points out, he's been hitting for much better average since the dreadful slump to open the year. 

March: .150/.150/.150 (20 ABs)

April: .253/.320/.402 (87 ABs)

May: .286/.317/.459 (98 ABs)

June: .268/.326/.512 (41 ABs)

.230 - .260 is a huge range, so you gave yourself a lot of room to be right on that projection, but I think he's more likely to end up somewhere in the .255 - .270 range (where he's been basically all season).  

• Like 3
On 6/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, mjb03003 said:

Yeah he's already got 9 HR so I'm not sure about 15 HR "potential." There's almost 60% of the season left to be played so 15 would be a bit of a disappointment at this point. Also, as @The Big Bat Theory points out, he's been hitting for much better average since the dreadful slump to open the year. 

March: .150/.150/.150 (20 ABs)

April: .253/.320/.402 (87 ABs)

May: .286/.317/.459 (98 ABs)

June: .268/.326/.512 (41 ABs)

.230 - .260 is a huge range, so you gave yourself a lot of room to be right on that projection, but I think he's more likely to end up somewhere in the .255 - .270 range (where he's been basically all season).  

ok its time he get a re-analyzation. more than likely will pass 15HRs before ASB.

• Like 2

I love the power and the speed but this guy has the plate discipline of a 4-year-old. In his last 6 games (24 PA) he has 0 walks and 13 strikeouts. For the season, 13 walks to 85 strikeouts. He's going to be prone to long slumps unless that improves.

I guess the optimist would say he's still been a top-100 fantasy player even while flailing away, and if he can cut the Ks he could get even better. He did have a pretty good walk rate last year and in the minors, don't know what happened to that.

Just now, SpartyOn4 said:

I love the power and the speed but this guy has the plate discipline of a 4-year-old. In his last 6 games (24 PA) he has 0 walks and 13 strikeouts. For the season, 13 walks to 85 strikeouts. He's going to be prone to long slumps unless that improves.

I guess the optimist would say he's still been a top-100 fantasy player even while flailing away, and if he can cut the Ks he could get even better. He did have a pretty good walk rate last year and in the minors, don't know what happened to that.

The guy's got 7 HR and 6 steals over the last 30 days with two straight months of hitting over .280.  He could very well slump but he's already outperforming expectations at this point.  If this keeps up he'll be looking down the pipe at a 30/20 on the ceiling side.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

He just cracked the top 10 OFs on the player rater in ESPN and is still less than 50% owned.

That’s ridiculous.  He’s been firmly planted in my lineup for the past month and I’ve had no regrets.