NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

confirmed - spotted coming down Broadway last night ....

These are always the best posts.  I got a high ankle sprain at the YMCA and the recovery time was totally comparable to what Saquan Barkley will be going through.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I'm not going to start a discussion about Barry in this thread but I disagree with you.

Don't worry, I will, and it's quite topical because based on his rookie year Saquon may prove to be better than OJ, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, anyone you can name.

My personal opinion:  Bo Jackson would have been the best of all time had he not gotten hurt and had he played football 100% of the time.  He played it as a hobby!  His 40 time was supposedly 4.1X (think the debate is if it was 4.13 or 4.17), he had huge size, obscene strength, a great motor, etc.  Terrifying.

Barry Sanders was my personal favorite running back of all time.  I just loved watching him play.  His highlights speak for themselves, he could bounce around/through and squirt right out of seven tacklers and just keep going.  His legs had joints like a toy robot, they went all kinds of directions.  I also heard he could squat over 700 pounds in college and his thighs looked it.  He typically led the league in rushes for lost yardage but he more than made up for it on the plays that got past the line of scrimmage.

Neither one was great in the passing game.  Maybe Thurman Thomas would have been a better PPR pick in that era.  Marshall Faulk was like having an RB1 and a WR1 one year.  We can talk about Eric Dickerson, Eddie George, Adrian Peterson in his prime, LaDainian Tomlinson... there have been a lot of great backs. 

The only one in the NFL I can see topping everyone I've written about is Saquon.  He caught 91 balls.  He's fast.  He's strong.  Giants had an awful offensive line and couldn't run on anyone the year before he got there.  I don't know if I'll ever see him as fun to watch as Sanders, he may be just shy of the physical freakishness that Bo Jackson brought, but I can see him breaking every rushing record if he just stays as good as he was last year.  And I expect him to get better every year until he's 27 or so.

• Like 2

The scary thing here is that they do not have an awful line anymore. 

Don't get me wrong the line isn't great but it is average. Last year their line was absolutely brutal and we saw how good Barkley was. This year, the line has potential to be top 10 and will likely settle in the 15-20 range. If he can put up 2,000 yards with that brutal line imagine what he can do with a decent line?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The scary thing here is that they do not have an awful line anymore. 

Don't get me wrong the line isn't great but it is average. Last year their line was absolutely brutal and we saw how good Barkley was. This year, the line has potential to be top 10 and will likely settle in the 15-20 range. If he can put up 2,000 yards with that brutal line imagine what he can do with a decent line?

My only concern with him this year is the loss of OBJ.  I don't think it's going to matter, someone here posted that some of his best games were the ones OBJ missed.  I'm super excited to have him on one of my teams this season.

1 hour ago, oban14 said:

Don't worry, I will, and it's quite topical because based on his rookie year Saquon may prove to be better than OJ, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, anyone you can name.

My personal opinion:  Bo Jackson would have been the best of all time had he not gotten hurt and had he played football 100% of the time.  He played it as a hobby!  His 40 time was supposedly 4.1X (think the debate is if it was 4.13 or 4.17), he had huge size, obscene strength, a great motor, etc.  Terrifying.

Barry Sanders was my personal favorite running back of all time.  I just loved watching him play.  His highlights speak for themselves, he could bounce around/through and squirt right out of seven tacklers and just keep going.  His legs had joints like a toy robot, they went all kinds of directions.  I also heard he could squat over 700 pounds in college and his thighs looked it.  He typically led the league in rushes for lost yardage but he more than made up for it on the plays that got past the line of scrimmage.

Neither one was great in the passing game.  Maybe Thurman Thomas would have been a better PPR pick in that era.  Marshall Faulk was like having an RB1 and a WR1 one year.  We can talk about Eric Dickerson, Eddie George, Adrian Peterson in his prime, LaDainian Tomlinson... there have been a lot of great backs. 

The only one in the NFL I can see topping everyone I've written about is Saquon.  He caught 91 balls.  He's fast.  He's strong.  Giants had an awful offensive line and couldn't run on anyone the year before he got there.  I don't know if I'll ever see him as fun to watch as Sanders, he may be just shy of the physical freakishness that Bo Jackson brought, but I can see him breaking every rushing record if he just stays as good as he was last year.  And I expect him to get better every year until he's 27 or so.

Great comments (and based on my logo, I agree with you as far as Bo goes). On a fantasy note re: Sanders vs. Faulk, here's how they compared in full PPR, with their RB rank each season:

image.png.773f68720c805f8063b0f493402c65df.png

Thurman had an incredible stretch from 1989-1993, finishing 1 or 2 in five straight seasons. Overall he was an RB1 in seven seasons.
Barry also finished 1 or 2 in 5 seasons, though not consecutively. He was an RB1 every season of his career except one, in 9 of 10 seasons.

Saquon has a long ways to go to match either of them, along with the other great RB's in history. But the fact that one can even contemplate him as a potential all-time great, speaks to what an impressive rookie season he had.

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

His upside is capped by Eli and the coach's abysmal play calling. 

If we can get the rookie QB in there things will be better. 

I mean, he had Eli and the same coach last year when he was the best RB in football. Weird week with only 11 carries. He'll be right in the running for RB1 all year. 

29 minutes ago, ak427 said:

I mean, he had Eli and the same coach last year when he was the best RB in football. Weird week with only 11 carries. He'll be right in the running for RB1 all year. 

Hope so. I just think he is prone to games like this where Eli can't move the ball and he gets little to no TD opportunities. 

I'm not saying he won't be great. I just think he would be insanely great if he had a good QB. 

Edited by mbell317
43 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

Hope so. I just think he is prone to games like this where Eli can't move the ball and he gets little to no TD opportunities. 

I'm not saying he won't be great. I just think he would be insanely great if he had a good QB. 

Agreed. That being said, I don't think Eli will be starting all season if this game was any indication for how the Giants are going to be this year. 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:44 PM, Stonej14 said:

Cam is better than eli in all aspects of football.  CMC was the RB1 in fantasy after week 16 (most ppls fantasy championship). Drafting him first overall isnt a bad idea.. specially in full ppr. It certainly wont be the cause of losing your league.

No one is injury proof.

These are skip Bayless level bad takes.

Eli Manning at age 38 >>> Cam Newton right now.

Not up for debate either, if you've seen Cam the 1st 2 games this season.

Hold this L.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, Stonej14 said:

Cam played 4 games with 1 arm where he could barely throw 7 yards. eli should have blown him away in every passing statistic but cam has more TDs a better completion percentage an better QBR and a better rating and he was sacked less. He can run and gets rushing TDs and he does it all with less talented players

As you said his wrs are worse than mannings and his line is worse.. he is better than eli in every aspect of football.

Eli Manning at age 38 >>> Cam Newton right now

Cam is finished. Can't pass, can't run either. Eli is still efficient.

Hold this L.

I'm getting the feeling that Saquon is going to have a ridiculously efficient season this year.  Like 6 YPC ridiculous.  Take out that big run against the Cowboys and he still went for 6.1 yards a run.  Should be a fun season with what looks like a clearly improved o-line.  Doesn't matter who's QB, they just need to hand him the ball more than 12 times.

Edited by Illusion_J
1 hour ago, jsch08 said:

You are debating between a douche and a turd sandwich.

Why is Eli a douche or a turd sandwich and why is his character or Super Bowl winning career even being associated with Cam Newton? Eli professionalism is unrivaled and he can make throws that Cam can only dream of making.....and that's the double deep dream Inception type of dream.

I mean are we really comparing Eli to this guy...

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Why is Eli a douche or a turd sandwich and why is his character or Super Bowl winning career even being associated with Cam Newton? Eli professionalism is unrivaled and he can make throws that Cam can only dream of making.....and that's the double deep dream Inception type of dream.

I mean are we really comparing Eli to this guy...

SBnation must be drunk. The more ridiculous the outfit, the higher the rating.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, P@ckersFan said:

Who was lobbying for the Giants to take Rosen last year? Darnold was always the guy. 

Darnold + Josh Allen + Odell is an infinitely better trio than Saquon + Daniel Jones + Dexter Lawrence, it's not even close. The Giants blew it. If they're in the midst of another losing season and Daniel Jones isn't ready to go or plays and doesn't look like an NFL QB then Gettleman and Shurmur are gone after this year. 

That said I'd still take Barkley No. 1 overall in fantasy. 

Well, let's revisit this:

1) Daniel Jones >>> Sam Darnold. Darnold now has mono, is off to a horrendous start in Year 2, was dreadful in Year 1, and was dreadful his final year at USC. He has been a bad QB for a couple years now. Daniel Jones, meanwhile, has a much more promising future than Darnold. Jones currently holds more value than Darnold based on Darnold's horrible play and Jones' incredible preseason showing every trait you look for in a Franchise QB.

2) Saquon Barkley >>> Josh Allen. Saquon is a future 1st ballot HOFer - no questions asked. Perennial All-Pro. Josh Allen at this point is a one trick pony (outside speed rush) with no countermoves. Finesse rusher. 

3) OBJ....what more needs to be said about this guy? He goes to Cleveland, they get hyped up all off-season....and get trounced 42-13 at home. Everywhere OBJ goes, his team loses. The dude is a curse. All OBJ does is...lose. He didn't win in high school, didn't win at LSU, didn't win with the Giants, and won't win with the Browns. Plus, he is still causing distractions. Giants removed a headache and got a haul in return.

You: 0-for-3

Gettleman and the Giants: 3-for-3. Made the correct move every step of the way.

Giants are doing everything right. Everything.

Edited by abc12345
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, abc12345 said:

Well, let's revisit this:

1) Daniel Jones >>> Sam Darnold. Darnold now has mono, is off to a horrendous start in Year 2, was dreadful in Year 1, and was dreadful his final year at USC. He has been a bad QB for a couple years now. Daniel Jones, meanwhile, has a much more promising future than Darnold. Jones currently holds more value than Darnold based on Darnold's horrible play and Jones' incredible preseason showing every trait you look for in a Franchise QB.

2) Saquon Barkley >>> Josh Allen. Saquon is a future 1st ballot HOFer - no questions asked. Perennial All-Pro. Josh Allen at this point is a one trick pony (outside speed rush) with no countermoves. Finesse rusher. 

3) OBJ....what more need to be said about this guy? He goes to Cleveland, they get hyped up all off-season....and get trounced 42-13 at home. Everywhere OBJ goes, his team loses. The dude is a curse.

You: 0-for-3

Gettleman and the Giants: 3-for-3. Made the correct move every step of the way.

Yes because the Giants looked so good in week 1. Stupid OBJ was holding them back. Good call

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

Yes because the Giants looked so good in week 1. Stupid OBJ was holding them back. Good call

#6 in Total Offense without OBJ and new #1 WR Golden Tate. Facing a Top 5 caliber Cowboys D with All-Pro's at every level of the defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/passing/sort/netYardsPerGame/dir/desc

Giants don't miss OBJ at all.

How did Baker and the Browns do with OBJ? Super Bowl bound, right? Lol.

Edited by abc12345
  • Like 1