NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

confirmed - spotted coming down Broadway last night ....

These are always the best posts.  I got a high ankle sprain at the YMCA and the recovery time was totally comparable to what Saquan Barkley will be going through.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, aadam said:

Anyone heard any trade rumors or potential a pick up the Giants might try to pull off to get through the next several weeks or more? They cant seriously think Wayne Gallman is going to get them through this mess. He has shown a few bright spots, but Im just trying to be realistic. 

Ive seen a few articles suggesting CJA or Ajayi were possible? Anyone heard anything else or have any ideas of the directions the Giants may go with this?

No, but they will need someone else and I'd imagine it is going to be RBBC. The only time Gallman got significant work was in his rookie season, where Orleans Darkwa led the RBs in touches, yardage, and TDs. Then you know what happened after that. They had a pressing need at QB and went after Barkley. So obviously they had no confidence in Gallman as the lead back. Of course in hindsight they could have grabbed Darnold and Chubb.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

No, but they will need someone else and I'd imagine it is going to be RBBC. The only time Gallman got significant work was in his rookie season, where Orleans Darkwa led the RBs in touches, yardage, and TDs. Then you know what happened after that. They had a pressing need at QB and went after Barkley. So obviously they had no confidence in Gallman as the lead back. Of course in hindsight they could have grabbed Darnold and Chubb.

... and the Brownies coulda had Barkley and Mayfield (providing they took Saquan 1st overall).

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about him being "shut down" with a high ankle sprain, although they certainly aren't going to rush him back and they might manage his workload a bit when he comes back if they are in fact out of contention as expected.

One of the Giants beat guys mentioned Cameron Artis-Payne as a possibility. Former Gettleman pick. Seems like Darkwa (who's opening campaigning for a call) and CJ Anderson are the likeliest guys. Maybe Ajayi. I think there's a number of RBs out there who'd leapfrog Gallman within a week or two.

I've got an open roster spot so I'm waiting to see who Schefter announces then jumping on them. Yes, I'm that desperate. I've got issues beyond Saquon on my team.

Edited by mjagger42
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Me watching Barkley highlights from last year:

feel free to delete this..  my ears literally bled. everyone else, you've been warned and wont get back the 30 seconds you wasted watching this. 

Edited by dannyz6969
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Once he's healthy he'll be out there. This shutdown talk is BS. Giants will want to see what he can do with Daniel Jones and will want to give the fans something to be excited about going into next season. Not sure why Tevin Coleman isn't being brought up more. Looking like he may play in week 5 after a four week layoff. Barkley's injury seems a little worse but it's still a good framework to start with. 

I believe he will be back in 5-6 weeks. Who knows though, it could even be less than that considering his age and physical condition. 

3 hours ago, dannyz6969 said:

Despite people having "half a brain", I was still being ridiculed by folks such as yourself. I was still correct though wasn't I? Do you even play sports? Have you suffered any type of ankle injuries? hip pointers? calf strains? Or do you just sit on your butt all day downing dorito chips and cheetos? with a greasy ps4 controller no less while  your mom vacuums up the crumbs you leave behind.  "CSB" 

Cool story bro!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

Sigh.  Anyone holding on to the hope of a 4 week return?

I kinda am..lol. If the initial report says 4-8 weeks but likely will be on the longer side of the weeks then why not just come out and say 6-8 weeks from the start? That is my glimmer of hope..lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

I kinda am..lol. If the initial report says 4-8 weeks but likely will be on the longer side of the weeks then why not just come out and say 6-8 weeks from the start? That is my glimmer of hope..lol. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Gut check time for Barkley owners. If you're 3-0 it's easy: just hold and hope to get a win here and there until he's back. Likewise if you're 0-3 your season is over in all likelihood and you will just have to fend off vultures hoping to acquire this guy.

The tough call is if you're 1-2 or even 2-1. Can you make the playoffs with this guy out maybe until week 12? And maybe having a managed workload thereafter? That's very league and team specific.  Can you get to 6-5 without him?  If the answer is "probably not," (which for almost all 1-2 teams and a lot of them at 2-1 it will be if you are being honest) then you need to start shopping him TODAY. 

(The analysis changes if you're in some funky format where 8 of 12 or 8 of 14 teams make the playoffs. This doesn't apply to that.)

21 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Gut check time for Barkley owners. If you're 3-0 it's easy: just hold and hope to get a win here and there until he's back. Likewise if you're 0-3 your season is over in all likelihood and you will just have to fend off vultures hoping to acquire this guy.

The tough call is if you're 1-2 or even 2-1. Can you make the playoffs with this guy out maybe until week 12? And maybe having a managed workload thereafter? That's very league and team specific.  Can you get to 6-5 without him?  If the answer is "probably not," (which for almost all 1-2 teams and a lot of them at 2-1 it will be if you are being honest) then you need to start shopping him TODAY. 

(The analysis changes if you're in some funky format where 8 of 12 or 8 of 14 teams make the playoffs. This doesn't apply to that.)

If I owned Barkley and were 2-1 or 1-2, I'd be looking to move him.  Find an owner who will give you an upside RB2 and pray it works out.  The problem is finding an owner who will give you a solid RB for Barkley at this point, knowing he might only get Barkley for like 5 games.

Interesting question - what RB would you give up to acquire Barkley today?  I honestly don't think I'd give any more than my 3rd best RB, and only if I wasn't that deep at RB.  There's no way I downgrade my starting lineup for him.  It would be someone on the RB2/RB3 borderline.  Maybe someone like a Peyton Barber or Royce Freeman or Carlos Hyde.

Of course a Peyton Barber for Saquon Barkley trade sounds absolutely ridiculous on face value, but you need to consider how many games you're gonna get out of each player.

Sucks for the Barkley owners.  I imagine they will be spending a lot on FAAB this week on Gallman and then trying to trade from other positions to get a half decent RB to hopefully get them through.  Doing a 2 for 1 maybe.

I think the best time to move him...IF you cant wait would be in a couple weeks when the time table becomes more clear or he sheds the boot and starts running. I say that because it allows you to see how you can manage the next couple weeks without automatically panicking. It also allows you to see how everyone else shakes out. If in 3 weeks you have a 6-0 team, most likely you can get a bit more for barkley considering that guy would be in good shape to make playoffs even if he went 2-4 until Barkley returned now having one of the best fantasy options in the game. As of now, there are no for sure things, 3-0 could easily become 3-3 with a bad trade, Barkley is out anywhere from 4-8 weeks, I cant see anything more than a RB2 at most at this time.

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

I'm 3-0. No way I'm moving him. 

Biggest reason: An MRI may say xyz, but we have no idea how Barkley will respond to treatment. This guy is a young stud. For all we know, this guy is like AP and he's back on the field on the short end of the timeline.

Maybe wishful thinking. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

AP missed what 3 games?  this 4 to 8 weeks is crazy talk

I'm 3-0. No way I'm moving him. 

Biggest reason: An MRI may say xyz, but we have no idea how Barkley will respond to treatment. This guy is a young stud. For all we know, this guy is like AP and he's back on the field on the short end of the timeline.

Maybe wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

If I owned Barkley and were 2-1 or 1-2, I'd be looking to move him.  Find an owner who will give you an upside RB2 and pray it works out.  The problem is finding an owner who will give you a solid RB for Barkley at this point, knowing he might only get Barkley for like 5 games.

Interesting question - what RB would you give up to acquire Barkley today?  I honestly don't think I'd give any more than my 3rd best RB, and only if I wasn't that deep at RB.  There's no way I downgrade my starting lineup for him.  It would be someone on the RB2/RB3 borderline.  Maybe someone like a Peyton Barber or Royce Freeman or Carlos Hyde.

Of course a Peyton Barber for Saquon Barkley trade sounds absolutely ridiculous on face value, but you need to consider how many games you're gonna get out of each player.

Sucks for the Barkley owners.  I imagine they will be spending a lot on FAAB this week on Gallman and then trying to trade from other positions to get a half decent RB to hopefully get them through.  Doing a 2 for 1 maybe.

You can be patient and get someone of Barber/Royce/Hyde caliber from the Waiver/FA list in 10 or 12 team leagues.

Hyde was 40% owned in Yahoo a couple weeks ago and hasn't gotten double digit fantasy points yet. No way am I trading Barkley for a player of that caliber.

I would go for at least a Sony Michel level player. Or a receiver like Golladay coming off of a bad week. If you can't get someone like that, just hold.

• Thanks 1

In auction leagues where he costs a lot, you might be able to get away with dropping him as long as no one else in your league can afford to pick him up. Clear some space and upgrade some other positions, and then circle back in a few weeks and scoop him back up. Risky but could work depending on your options.

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

In auction leagues where he costs a lot, you might be able to get away with dropping him as long as no one else in your league can afford to pick him up. Clear some space and upgrade some other positions, and then circle back in a few weeks and scoop him back up. Risky but could work depending on your options.

Lolz you're kidding right?

He is not dropworthy...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

please tell me that your sarcasm wasn't as obvious as you intended it to be in your post?! this is the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen, he is absolutely not droppable with a 4-8 week timeframe, IR league or not.

• Like 1