NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley 2019 Outlook

40 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Video of him cutting

37 minutes ago, jagsfan05 said:

I know it's not your fault but that's an amazing camera angle. I can almost see it.

They got to make sure the Barkley stunt double doesn't get caught!
[jokes of course]

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

confirmed - spotted coming down Broadway last night ....

These are always the best posts.  I got a high ankle sprain at the YMCA and the recovery time was totally comparable to what Saquan Barkley will be going through.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Saquon Barkley (ankle) was in full uniform and jogging off to the side of Wednesday's practice.

Barkley suffered a serious high-ankle sprain Week 3 but has been aiming to beat his 6-8 week timetable. He's not going to play this Sunday against the Vikings, but Barkley is making rapid improvements in his rehab. Perhaps Barkley owners won't be without their No. 1 pick as long as initially anticipated.

Oct 2, 2019, 11:26 AM ET

This guy is a stud

As a disciplined owner, I'm still going to stick to the expectation that he'll miss 4 weeks total (meaning he'd be back to play DET week 8). As someone who really needs him back at a high level ASAP in a couple of my leagues, I'm drooling at the fact that a week 6 return doesn't seem out of the question. Would still rather him wait until he's fully healthy (or at least to a point where he wouldn't further aggravate the injury by playing) before getting back to action, but I need desperately need his points.

3 minutes ago, snowbound said:

I just suffered a high ankle sprain jumping up down after watching this video.   

Just watched it myself.

He does not look like a guy who is going to be out 8 weeks let alone 4.

So the injury was 10 days ago...it must not have been that serious if he's already running and cutting. Or he has super human healing powers.

I can't imagine he will miss more than 2-3 more weeks if he's already doing this...Maybe they do week 8 or wait until week 9 at home vs. Dallas to be cautious. 

Yahoo's system is predicting he comes back for week 8 and puts up 21.70 pts in .5 PPR LOL. 

• Thanks 1

Coach Pat Shurmur refused to rule Saquon Barkley (ankle) out for Week 5 against the Vikings.

We'd bet Barkley doesn't play, but Week 6 seems to be within the realm of possibilities for a return. Barkley was off to the side jogging and working with trainers at Wednesday's practice. When asked about Barkley, Shurmur said, "Some people’s doctor’s had him at eight weeks. Not my doctors." Expect Wayne Gallman to get the nod against the Vikings.

Just now, mbell317 said:

So the injury was 10 days ago...it must not have been that serious if he's already running and cutting. Or he has super human healing powers.

I can't imagine he will miss more than 2-3 more weeks if he's already doing this...Maybe they do week 8 or wait until week 9 at home vs. Dallas to be cautious. 

Yahoo's system is predicting he comes back for week 8 and puts up 21.70 pts in .5 PPR LOL. 

Yeah, something is off. That's why he went for the second opinion. Likely not a high ankle sprain, but regular sprain. And like someone previously said, he had something similar and came back after a couple of weeks in college. This is unreal, considering what we were led to believe.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/new-york-giants-pat-shurmur-wont-rule-out-week-5-return-saquon-barkley/

• Like 1

Who is sitting down behind their desk at work all excited to be reading this news?  I can't get up for a while. 

I don't anticipate him being back next week, that would be major silly.  But anything that beats the 8 week timeline will be most welcomed.

I wonder how many Barkley owners sold him for cheap thinking that 8 weeks would be it. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, fingers crossed that things continue to heal properly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, CooL said:

Who is sitting down behind their desk at work all excited to be reading this news?  I can't get up for a while. 

I don't anticipate him being back next week, that would be major silly.  But anything that beats the 8 week timeline will be most welcomed.

I wonder how many Barkley owners sold him for cheap thinking that 8 weeks would be it. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, fingers crossed that things continue to heal properly.

Me 🙋‍♂️

Agreed, this is nothing but good news, even if he's out for a couple of more weeks.

🤣

🤞

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, mbell317 said:

I'm sure they will want to be cautious but on the flip side, this GM has got to be eager to see what this team can do now with Jones at QB, a full complement of WRs which will include Tate, Engram...and Barkley back in the fold. He wants his fan base excited.

The 2nd half of the season could be interesting (i.e. good) for the NYGs.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Ball So Hard said:

Keep in mind they play on TNF Week 6. So if he doesn't play this week, it would seem likely they don't play him 4 days later and instead give him the extra 10 days to get ready for Week 7.

This

3 minutes ago, JoesPros said:

I'm no doctor but I've had plenty of ankle sprains in my life and none took more than 3 weeks to heal 100%. Never understood this 6-8 week time frame. 

You probably weren't 100%. You just don't have to play pro football so you couldn't tell. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, JoesPros said:

I'm no doctor but I've had plenty of ankle sprains in my life and none took more than 3 weeks to heal 100%. Never understood this 6-8 week time frame. 

I predict that by the end of the day you will regret making this comment. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just saying, you are going to regret it.🤣

• Haha 1

I know I already said it in here but the 8 week timeframe was always absurd. It's just amazing to me how "experts" can be that off. 

This was always a 4 week injury, and because he's such a physical freak it's gonna be even shorter than that. 

If they didn't play Thursday next week as opposed to Sunday I'd guarantee he'd be back next week. Still might. 

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I know I already said it in here but the 8 week timeframe was always absurd. It's just amazing to me how "experts" can be that off. 

This was always a 4 week injury, and because he's such a physical freak it's gonna be even shorter than that. 

If they didn't play Thursday next week as opposed to Sunday I'd guarantee he'd be back next week. Still might. 

It took Roddy While almost an entire season to recover from a high ankle sprain. They're no joke. The 4-8 week range is perfectly reasonable. It's just looking like Barkley will be closer to 4. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, JoesPros said:

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain? It's different than a low ankle sprain, which is more common.

According to one source: "Healing from a high ankle sprain can take anywhere from six weeks to three months — sometimes even more. Healing time depends on how badly you’ve injured the soft tissue and if there was any bone damage." https://www.healthline.com/health/high-ankle-sprain#treatment

15 hours ago, mbell317 said:

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain? It's different than a low ankle sprain, which is more common.

According to one source: "Healing from a high ankle sprain can take anywhere from six weeks to three months — sometimes even more. Healing time depends on how badly you’ve injured the soft tissue and if there was any bone damage." https://www.healthline.com/health/high-ankle-sprain#treatment

I've had a ton in my lifetime so I would assume I had at least one. But maybe I'm wrong. All I know is it never took me more than a few weeks to recover and return to contact sports...Also, Saquon returned in 2 weeks from a similar injury in college. So i'm sticking with my stance that this whole 6 to 3 month time frame is extremely absurd....

Perhaps this time frame is for the elderly or infants or adults who eat mcdonalds everyday.

Edited by JoesPros
24 minutes ago, JoesPros said:

I've had a ton in my lifetime so I would assume I had at least one. But maybe I'm wrong. All I know is it never took me more than a few weeks to recover and return to contact sports...Also, Saquon returned in 2 weeks from a similar injury in college. So i'm sticking with my stance that this whole 6 to 3 month time frame is extremely absurd....

Perhaps this time frame is for the elderly or infants or adults who eat mcdonalds everyday.

Ankle sprains, like many other injuries have different degrees of severity. Nothing with the human body is black & white, where x injury means automatically y time out. And high ankle sprains do take more time to heal. Also, RBs put a lot of stress on ankles with cutting movements, probably more than any other position. 

• Like 1