NBC Sports Edge Forums

Derrius Guice 2019 Outlook

11 minutes ago, ItsMeMario said:

Coming back an acl he will not be 100 % and he is more prone to hamstring injury ... its take 2 years to sustain full form FULL season play

Prone maybe but that’s what the first 1/2 season is for.   Need to see what this kid can do and I’ve seen no evidence to support the claim Guice needs an extra year prior to regular work. 

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rotoworld on Sunday:  the Redskins aren't likely to make Guice a workhorse in 2019 given his injury history. Guice is a bench stash and low-end flex play for those in trouble. Rotoworl

Try watching it again once you sober up a bit.

Competitive leagues don't have IR spots I think Callahan dramatically lowers his value. If it was still Gruden I'd be on the train. But Callahan is an old school coach that will likely stick wit

Posted Images

Anyone thinking he will be contributing to fantasy teams in a meaningful way this season is a year too early. Fade this dude and draft him next year. Best-case scenario is he comes in at the end of the season being productive when fantasy playoffs are happening, but you likely aren't making risky roster moves at that point. Everything about his preseason screams "stay away". 

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2019 at 2:34 AM, Agmaniacmike said:

Guice is uber talented. Obviously, RBs coming off of ACL injuries have a history of lingering hamstring issues, but at his current ADP, where mainly cuffs are available, I'll gladly take a shot on a high upside player like Guice. As good as AD is, he's 34 and has played through a variety of injuries in recent years, unfortunately, I think the odds are high that he misses considerable time in 2019.

Peterson played all 16 games last year. 
What exactly are you basing these 'odds' on? Just because he's 34 doesn't make him fragile.
By that logic, Frank Gore would be in a wheelchair by now. 

2 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Peterson played all 16 games last year. 
What exactly are you basing these 'odds' on? Just because he's 34 doesn't make him fragile.
By that logic, Frank Gore would be in a wheelchair by now. 

There is no logic or analogy that can applied to Frank Gore.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Prone maybe but that’s what the first 1/2 season is for.   Need to see what this kid can do and I’ve seen no evidence to support the claim Guice needs an extra year prior to regular work. 

Believe me he will not be able to endure full season intense play and I saw a video 3 days ago at training camp and he doesnt give straight answer about his situation you know he ain't ready and it will take time ... Season is in 2 weeks forget about this year 

8 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

Everything about his preseason screams "stay away". 

Except for everything he’s done in camp and what the coaches say.  

The only negative is “not officially cleared for full contact”.   Thats coachspeak for-  “we aren’t risking him in the preseason.”   

Upside-   Starts week one with 15+ carries

mid-  week 8

downside-  gets hurt or never gets full time gig.  

All are possible but week 8 is 2 1/2 months out.  

• Like 1
Just now, Impreza178 said:

Except for everything he’s done in camp and what the coaches say.  

The only negative is “not officially cleared for full contact”.   Thats coachspeak for-  “we aren’t risking him in the preseason.”   

Upside-   Starts week one with 15+ carries

mid-  week 8

downside-  gets hurt or never gets full time gig.  

All are possible but week 8 is 2 1/2 months out.  

Deciphering coach speak is for the birds. You have absolutely no way of knowing what a coach means in any particular instance like that. Chase the "upside" if you want, but this dude a classic case of people drafting players that are hurt/recovering in preseason and it resulting in a disappointing fantasy season. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ItsMeMario said:

Believe me he will not be able to endure full season intense play and I saw a video 3 days ago at training camp and he doesnt give straight answer about his situation you know he ain't ready and it will take time ... Season is in 2 weeks forget about this year 

Take a shot every time he touches his knee...

You're right though, he's dodgy with his answers about if he feels "back," and doesn't seem in a hurry. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

Deciphering coach speak is for the birds. You have absolutely no way of knowing what a coach means in any particular instance like that. Chase the "upside" if you want, but this dude a classic case of people drafting players that are hurt/recovering in preseason and it resulting in a disappointing fantasy season. 

Its not a lie... if you believe it.  

- George Costanza 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

even as a Guice pusher this is nasty lol

If there's one thing I've learned about AP.  When you think he can't, he does.

Washington doesn't excite me much as a team for Fantasy, but AP would be my pick if I were to choose one.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

Washington doesn't excite me much as a team for Fantasy, but AP would be my pick if I were to choose one.

Guice's appeal is clearly primarily in keeper and dynasty leagues. His redraft value had a pretty rough summer.  It would be ideal to own both Redskins backs during the inevitable passing of the torch that may or may not take place this season.  In redraft it makes sense to just avoid this backfield altogether, but if I'm owning either in any format, I'd prefer to own both.

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Trifecta said:

Guice's appeal is clearly primarily in keeper and dynasty leagues. His redraft value had a pretty rough summer.  It would be ideal to own both Redskins backs during the inevitable passing of the torch that may or may not take place this season.  In redraft it makes sense to just avoid this backfield altogether, but if I'm owning either in any format, I'd prefer to own both.

Bottom line right there-  no matter which side you favor. 

10 hours ago, fruitjacket said:
13 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

even as a Guice pusher this is nasty lol

i love guice the player, but i do not see investing in redraft this year.

peterson on the other hand looked great last year and continues to play with a chip on his shoulder.

for a round 10 (round 10 in half-PPR! $1 in auction!) ADP, seems sure bet to produce beyond draft cost.

jwilliams_dallas-cowboys_how-adrian-pete

Nice moves here as well:

https://www.redskins.com/video/spin-cycle-adrian-peterson-unleashes-epic-move-for-first-down-run

11 hours ago, Trifecta said:

Yep. I love Guice, but I’m running, not walking, from him in redrafts. 

55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yep. I love Guice, but I’m running, not walking, from him in redrafts. 

Agreed. In redraft, I've used roster spots in the past on people who have suspensions or are coming back from injury and I always regret burning a roster spot the first X number of weeks on a player when I could use that spot to pick up a WW producer that will help you all year (or could have drafted said player instead of injury/suspension player). Love Guice, but not going to draft this year, regardless of the cost. Bench spots are just too valuable and the flexibility is important, especially early in the year.

I don't see Guice being startable for at least the first half of the year.  AP looks effective and he has an alpha personality, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Sure he is older, but that just means he went from being maybe the most talented RB ever to merely a solid RB.  Then you factor in the respect he gets in the clubhouse and with the staff, his experience, etc. and I don't see Guice unseating him. 

Plus AP wouldn't go away quietly...he is playing for his legacy among the all time great RBs and we've already seen how he acts when he doesn't get carries (see: Saints)

At best, I see a timeshare for Guice here and, in Washington's offense, that's at best an iffy flex.

National Football League Skilled and Unskilled Positions Vary in Opportunity and Yield in Return to Play After an ACL Injury

''Of the 154 players included in this study, 39 were skilled, 111 were unskilled, and 4 were special teams players (Table 2). The overall percentage of players who were able to return within 18 months after the injury was 55.8%. The percentage of unskilled and skilled players who were able to return was 58.9% and 54.1%, respectively (P = .61). When increasing the postinjury RTP window to greater than 18 months, the overall percentage of players who were able to return was 61.7%, and the percentage of unskilled and skilled players who were able to return was 64.1% and 60.4%, respectively (P = .68). RTP rates for positions with greater than 5 players were compared, and tight ends had the greatest percentage of RTP, with 78.6%. The lowest rate of RTP was offensive tackles, with 42.9%.''

Source : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5613848/

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
On 8/16/2019 at 11:45 AM, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't see Guice being startable for at least the first half of the year.  AP looks effective and he has an alpha personality, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.  Sure he is older, but that just means he went from being maybe the most talented RB ever to merely a solid RB.  Then you factor in the respect he gets in the clubhouse and with the staff, his experience, etc. and I don't see Guice unseating him. 

Plus AP wouldn't go away quietly...he is playing for his legacy among the all time great RBs and we've already seen how he acts when he doesn't get carries (see: Saints)

At best, I see a timeshare for Guice here and, in Washington's offense, that's at best an iffy flex.

No question AP is blocking Guice’s path to fantasy stardom, but AP is an old RB. He does look good, but there’s a good chance he slows down a bit, or succumbs to injury at some point as the season wears on. We could very well see the unleashing of a fully healthy Guice with fresh legs sooner than expected.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Derrius Guice (knee, hamstring) is expected to play in Thursday's preseason game against the Falcons.

That's the Redskins' regular season dress rehearsal, and Guice is expected to get "some" action. As recently as last week, Guice had yet to be cleared for live games. It will be our only real window into Guice's health after a hamstring injury complicated his return from last year's knee washout. Fighting for touches alongside Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson, Guice is a fantasy wild card.