Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Nick Chubb 2019 Outlook


munde53
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's still early, but my preliminary observation is that "Money Ball" doesn't work in the NFL. Screw you Jonah Hill.

 

Seriously though, Chubb passes the eye test and is a legitimate stud. Why they don't lean on him more is anyone's guess. Paul DePodesta should update his algorithms to account for stupid play calling.

Edited by The Jesus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CrastersCreep said:

This guy is going to be rock solid all year and if he plays 14 games there is no way he doesn’t finish as a top 8 RB. Awesome to see him getting some targets too.

 

I don’t see him finishing top 8 at RB this season. The line just isn’t going to get him there, and neither will the offense. People in here talk about him like he has been having a great season, he isn’t even averaging 4 ypc. He just looks great because Mayfield and the passing game looks awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

 

I don’t see him finishing top 8 at RB this season. The line just isn’t going to get him there, and neither will the offense. People in here talk about him like he has been having a great season, he isn’t even averaging 4 ypc. He just looks great because Mayfield and the passing game looks awful.

 

What does ypc have to do with a top 8 finish in fantasy football?  Answer?  Nothing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

 

I don’t see him finishing top 8 at RB this season. The line just isn’t going to get him there, and neither will the offense. People in here talk about him like he has been having a great season, he isn’t even averaging 4 ypc. He just looks great because Mayfield and the passing game looks awful.

 

Do you watch the games? Seriously, it's not all about numbers. The play calling is actually terrible. If you've seen him run or catch, you'd know he's a playmaker.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

 

I don’t see him finishing top 8 at RB this season. The line just isn’t going to get him there, and neither will the offense. People in here talk about him like he has been having a great season, he isn’t even averaging 4 ypc. He just looks great because Mayfield and the passing game looks awful.

Man he looks excellent to me and I’ve personally watched every touch. Outside of the top tier RBs (Alvin, Cmac, Cook, Barkley) he’s a notch below but I’m loving pretty much everything..he gets big workloads, he’s been very durable, he’s getting involved in the passing game, and he’s in an offense that I think will only improve. He has a good supporting cast that should keep defenses from stacking the box. Not sure how you can make a case for 8 RBs you’d rather own, if you can, I’d love to hear it. I’d take him over every RB besides the big 5.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Jesus said:

Why they don't lean on him more is anyone's guess.

 

100% of carries. He didn't exactly ball out yesterday, but Chubb had ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF CARRIES. That's good.

Edit: Chubb is always on the cusp of "balling out". Opportunities galore. Friggin Illegal Shift penalty...

Edited by dropshadows
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chubb continues to look really good despite Cleveland's coaching staff doing everything they can to not put him in good situations, I'll gladly take the double-digit floor but he's not going to hit his ceiling with the current offensive scheme.

 

- They run the ball in the most predictable scenarios (I swear they run Chubb up the middle on 90% of 2nd downs regardless of distance to go).

- Refuse to play with any tempo when the quick-hitter offense is moving Cleveland down the field.

- Are afraid of 1st downs for some reason, it's like the coaching staff thinks they need to score on two play drives by having the WRs run 40 yards down the field while Baker is running for his life behind the line.

- Zero creativity. No jet sweeps, no WR screens, no Chubb wheel routes.. the best play call against the Rams was the first Chubb screen, which they then proceeded to call 2 more times when the whole world could predict it.

 

I don't know if Kitchens and the gang are smart enough to make adjustments and turn the ship around, it's really capping Chubb's TD upside though.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Chubb continues to look really good despite Cleveland's coaching staff doing everything they can to not put him in good situations, I'll gladly take the double-digit floor but he's not going to hit his ceiling with the current offensive scheme.

 

- They run the ball in the most predictable scenarios (I swear they run Chubb up the middle on 90% of 2nd downs regardless of distance to go).

- Refuse to play with any tempo when the quick-hitter offense is moving Cleveland down the field.

- Are afraid of 1st downs for some reason, it's like the coaching staff thinks they need to score on two play drives by having the WRs run 40 yards down the field while Baker is running for his life behind the line.

- Zero creativity. No jet sweeps, no WR screens, no Chubb wheel routes.. the best play call against the Rams was the first Chubb screen, which they then proceeded to call 2 more times when the whole world could predict it.

 

I don't know if Kitchens and the gang are smart enough to make adjustments and turn the ship around, it's really capping Chubb's TD upside though.

 

Their designed passes to Chubb take so GD long to develop, it's insane, and they're always the same. He always sits in a pocket and waits, and waits, and waits for Baker to get him the ball. If they would actually hit the guy while he's moving the defense wouldn't have an extra 2-3 seconds to close in on him. It's absurd. There is no way Hunt is going to be productive if this is how they use their RBs in the passing game.

I also noticed that when Baker rolls out it's always to the same side, and Chubb is always on the other side of the field. That eliminates a receiving option by the offenses own design, insane.

 

Cant argue with his share or his production. He should have had 2 TDs and about 40 more yards of offense last night if the coaching staff and Baler weren't dumpster fires. 

Edited by Mr.STD
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MoonBlaster said:

Chubb continues to look really good despite Cleveland's coaching staff doing everything they can to not put him in good situations, I'll gladly take the double-digit floor but he's not going to hit his ceiling with the current offensive scheme.

 

- They run the ball in the most predictable scenarios (I swear they run Chubb up the middle on 90% of 2nd downs regardless of distance to go).

- Refuse to play with any tempo when the quick-hitter offense is moving Cleveland down the field.

- Are afraid of 1st downs for some reason, it's like the coaching staff thinks they need to score on two play drives by having the WRs run 40 yards down the field while Baker is running for his life behind the line.

- Zero creativity. No jet sweeps, no WR screens, no Chubb wheel routes.. the best play call against the Rams was the first Chubb screen, which they then proceeded to call 2 more times when the whole world could predict it.

 

I don't know if Kitchens and the gang are smart enough to make adjustments and turn the ship around, it's really capping Chubb's TD upside though.

Freddie Kitchens seems way over his head and is the biggest thing working against Chub too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kdko said:

 

What does ypc have to do with a top 8 finish in fantasy football?  Answer?  Nothing

 

You are right, ypc has nothing to do with fantasy. I just don't think he finishes top 8. He will be close top top 8 now that I look at it, but more has to do with other guys faltering than Chubb exceeding expectations. Guys like Conner, Gurley, David Johnson aren't playing up to expectations. 

If Cleveland can figure out their offense I do like him rest of the season. Also doesn't help that they have a really tough schedule. Knowing the Browns, they will probably fire Kitchens and get the offense on track right when Hunt comes back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr.STD said:

 

Their designed passes to Chubb take so GD long to develop, it's insane, and they're always the same. He always sits in a pocket and waits, and waits, and waits for Baker to get him the ball. If they would actually hit the guy while he's moving the defense wouldn't have an extra 2-3 seconds to close in on him. It's absurd. There is no way Hunt is going to be productive if this is how they use their RBs in the passing game.

I also noticed that when Baker rolls out it's always to the same side, and Chubb is always on the other side of the field. That eliminates a receiving option by the offenses own design, insane.

 

Cant argue with his share or his production. He should have had 2 TDs and about 40 more yards of offense last night if the coaching staff and Baler weren't dumpster fires. 

 

Their designed passes are too predictable and they were being ran from the wrong spot.  Last night there was a linebacker shadowing him and Chubb would pretty much run straight towards him and stop.  Good route running is about finding space and creating separation.  If anything Chubb should have drifted towards the sideline a bit to maintain that separation.  Not sure if thats a Chubb issue or a play design issue where he was just going where he was told. 

Agree big time on the Baker roll out to the opposite side of Chubb.  I saw that several times.  

Agreed on everything you said.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vercrazy said:

It still absolutely blows my mind that on 1st and Goal from the 4 they run 4 straight passes and don't get Chubb involved.

The one positive that can come from this is that I doubt it happens again. Kitches after week 2 said Chubb needed more touches and to be more involved in the passing game. Now after week 3 saying that it was a mistake to not run the ball at least once at the end of that drive.

Kitches seems to be lost at times in terms of play calling but he seems to also be one of the few coaches you can actually take at their word. I'd be willing to bet if we were to get a similar scenario in week 4 that Chubb would get the ball at least once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, munde53 said:

The one positive that can come from this is that I doubt it happens again. Kitches after week 2 said Chubb needed more touches and to be more involved in the passing game. Now after week 3 saying that it was a mistake to not run the ball at least once at the end of that drive.

Kitches seems to be lost at times in terms of play calling but he seems to also be one of the few coaches you can actually take at their word. I'd be willing to bet if we were to get a similar scenario in week 4 that Chubb would get the ball at least once. 

 

Did Kitchens say they should've ran at least once in the end?

And you're right.  He did say that Chubb needed more touches and he did follow through on that last night.  He also said that they'd get the ball out of Baker's hands faster and that happened too.  It's for sure a work in progress team but overall I am optimistic about Chubb's outlook.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, munde53 said:

The one positive that can come from this is that I doubt it happens again. Kitches after week 2 said Chubb needed more touches and to be more involved in the passing game. Now after week 3 saying that it was a mistake to not run the ball at least once at the end of that drive.

Kitches seems to be lost at times in terms of play calling but he seems to also be one of the few coaches you can actually take at their word. I'd be willing to bet if we were to get a similar scenario in week 4 that Chubb would get the ball at least once. 

 

Pound the effing rock.  The Seahawks lost a SB to the Patriots because they forgot they had a guy named Beast Mode on their team.  For the life of me, I'll never understand why so many teams try to get cute near the goal line.  You've got a shaky QB and a stud in your backfield.  Use him.

Edited by kraftwrk_5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...