NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

This requires a deeper dive to understand (the carry numbers). The KC game in week 2 the Chiefs came out and dog-stomped them, the script got away quick (thankfully he was able to contribute something via his pass-catching, a pleasant surprise). The Tampa and Baltimore game ended with people saying, give the ball to James Conner more, so they did, and from that point forward it looked like Conner was gonna give us a season every bit as good as any of Bell’s.

Until the concussion against Carolina. Everyone forgets that one cause he kept playing but it was obvious it bothered him (and it looked terrible on replay). Frankly I was surprised he played the next week against Jax and I thought he looked slow and sluggish, and I also think the coaching staff was watching him closely and gave him fewer carries because of it. He was vastly improved by the Denver game, but that one got away from the Steelers as well script-wise (and Denver was hot). And then the Chargers where he was on his way to a very good game until the ankle injury. Then the last game against Cincy coming back from injury.

i appreciate the fleshing out/exposition here, and it dies allow for explanation of his perplexing disappearing acts .. 

buuuuuuuut  .... lemme get this straight - the gameflow/injuries are guaranteed not to happen this year? we're to believe that the Stillers will be comfortably ahead every game and never taken off their script?

cool. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well I am glad that Hopkins is my WR3 I mean its a good thing I have Mclaurin and Fitzgerald as my WR1 and 2    

Conner a Rotoworlder confirmed.

The above is exactly how Conner owners should be selling high on him. 2019 is going to look a lot different than 2018 in Pittsburgh.  1. Esteemed  O-line coach is gone. 2. Esteeme RB coach i

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i appreciate the fleshing out/exposition here, and it dies allow for explanation of his perplexing disappearing acts .. 

buuuuuuuut  .... lemme get this straight - the gameflow/injuries are guaranteed not to happen this year? we're to believe that the Stillers will be comfortably ahead every game and never taken off their script?

cool. 

No but it will happen to every RB just like it does every season to every RB on every team. 

The poster is just giving clarity as to why his usage dipped some games. That is all. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

cool. 

Heh, no, of course not. And that’s not what I meant to say, anyway. Every RB gets taken off script, even Bell in this same offense. My point was that once Conner established his fit and usage in this offense he was as reliably used as any other RB in the league, and his fluctuation in carries could be explained by extenuating circumstances. Game script was only a minor one, and he still managed to put up good fantasy games.

• Like 1
On 8/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, bgar15 said:

What about Chubb?

The Conner/Chubb/Bell/Cook/Mixon tier is very tough IMO.

Conner vs Chubb is a coin flip.

Their per game numbers, once Chubb became the starter, are nearly identical. 

19-20 touches, 112-113 yards - biggest difference were TD rate: 1.0/game for Conner, 0.8/game for Chubb.

For fantasy purposes, taking Zeke's potential holdout into account, they're the next tier after the top 3.  (You could throw DJ in there as well, but more uncertainty in his situation.  Last year DJ had a lower TD rate and about 25 yards/game less, but should/might bounce back this year.)

Pretty much just a matter of taste/gut

• 2 weeks later...

Really wish he would have gotten that TD where he got stopped on the 1 on the first drive of the 2nd half, but it happens. This game got out of hand fast and he got 4 receptions so not all bad considering the score. They pulled him for almost the whole 4th quarter, as they should with that blowout.

HORRIBLE game for the Steelers, but no RB would've been productive given the situation. I think what was encouraging was it doesn't appear his role has changed from last year, meaning he's still clearly the guy and won't be coming off much on third downs. This just gets chalked up as a disappointment due to game flow. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

HORRIBLE game for the Steelers, but no RB would've been productive given the situation. I think what was encouraging was it doesn't appear his role has changed from last year, meaning he's still clearly the guy and won't be coming off much on third downs. This just gets chalked up as a disappointment due to game flow. 

Bell would've been productive

It's hard to take anything away from a game like last nights where the team just got rolled and nobody looked good, but what stuck out was his mediocre athleticism.  He didn't look slow or stiff, but it looked like he isn't a particularly quick, fast, shifty, or strong back.  I thought he should have scored on that play and he went down kind easy.  Again, let me repeat that it is very hard to take anything concrete from a ****show like last night where no one on Pitt played well.  I just wonder if there's another game like that next week if the team would consider giving more touches to Samuels.  My concern with Conner going into the season wasn't so much his ability (although last night made me wonder there just a touch) as much as it was the hold he has on the job.  How much leash does he have.  I'd love to own him, but at his draft price in my leagues I passed.  I still think he's going to be a solid RB this year.  Low end RB1, high end RB2. 

If Tomlin wasn't such a wuss when it comes to playing the Pats they'd have given Conner a chance to score on either 3rd or 4th down and he would have just about hit his yahoo projection in my 0.5 PPR league.

Not much to take away from this outside of the fact that the Pitt offense as a whole looked terrible. Dropped passes everywhere that just flat out killed drives. We saw why Donte Moncrief has been on 3 different teams the last few years and somehow he amassed 10 targets for 3 catches for 7 yards.

Better days ahead.

Edited by Edgeraid

aa i said earlier in this thread, there are times he literally disappears from their gameplan, and i put that firmly on Ben and Marble Mouf Mike (aka "Teflon Tomlin", aka "Moosh Mouth Mike") - Ben is the real OC of that team, and Teflon gives him free reign. 

Conner can absolutely thrive on this team, and he will have week winning games, but ... that coaching is atrocious. 

gl, fellas ✌

Yea I mean, if you owned Conner last year, you knew he was going to have games like this. It happened several times last year (see games 2-4). Unfortunately the Steelers are quick to abandon the run. As a Conner owner, I’m praying every week that the Steelers put up a TD on their first drive and go up 7-0. When game script is in his favor, Conner will feast. He is going to have some huge weeks, and he will have more weeks like this past one. Hopefully Steelers D can step it up. 

My concerns from last year are coming to life. Exactly what I was worried about and yet I was still stupid enough to draft him.

His usage towards the end of the year was dwindling with Switzer and Samuels taking a lot of passing work. I don't understand why the team doesn't use Conner in passing situations and opts for Switzer/Samuels, but it hinders his value a lot.

14 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

My concerns from last year are coming to life. Exactly what I was worried about and yet I was still stupid enough to draft him.

His usage towards the end of the year was dwindling with Switzer and Samuels taking a lot of passing work. I don't understand why the team doesn't use Conner in passing situations and opts for Switzer/Samuels, but it hinders his value a lot.

I drafted him as well, thinking they would use him more, now that AB is gone. I am holding for now, to see what they do week 2. PIT has to change their script, especially if no other WR are gonna step up & help JuJu.

I'm not worried at all, perfect but low too. Obviously they can't just spread it out. Snaueks played bad, moncrief was horrific, the rookie wr still looked like a rookie, Washington isn't ready for outside role, TE was criminally underused. It's gonna be the Conner and Juju show

2 hours ago, phillyfan461 said:

Limited in practice due to illness

I'd grab Samuels if you own Conner. He'll probably be fine though. You have to have 1 dude on your roster that's dead weight, or maybe a defense that isn't elite this week. Just pick them back up or someone of equal value once Conner gets the ok.