Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well I am glad that Hopkins is my WR3 I mean its a good thing I have Mclaurin and Fitzgerald as my WR1 and 2    

Conner a Rotoworlder confirmed.

The above is exactly how Conner owners should be selling high on him. 2019 is going to look a lot different than 2018 in Pittsburgh.  1. Esteemed  O-line coach is gone. 2. Esteeme RB coach i

Posted Images

8 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Please stop misinforming this board.

"The only running backs who joined Conner in the 50 broken tackles club during Weeks 1-13 were Saquon Barkley and Kareem Hunt, who just so happened to lead the NFL in broken tackles during the 2018 and 2017 seasons, respectively."

 

Yeah and magically he forgot how to break tackles after AB left town and Big Ben got hurt. Unless you have some other explanation for his 21 carries and 54  yards the first 2 weeks?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Yeah and magically he forgot how to break tackles after AB left town and Big Ben got hurt. Unless you have some other explanation for his 21 carries and 54  yards the first 2 weeks?

The team has been a disaster through two weeks. Things will change. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Yeah and magically he forgot how to break tackles after AB left town and Big Ben got hurt. Unless you have some other explanation for his 21 carries and 54  yards the first 2 weeks?

Lmao the entire reason that his ability to generate missed tackles is because it has nothing to do with the rest of his team. Try again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Lmao the entire reason that his ability to generate missed tackles is because it has nothing to do with the rest of his team. Try again. 

 


Not sure where you got your "missed tackles" info but PFF has Henry/Carson/AP as having generated the most missed tackles last year.  I don't really think any are all that great. Just because you are big and strong and break tackles sometimes also means you are a big and strong and SLOW and can't avoid tackles (Conner ran a 4.65/40 and is not quick/elusive). If teams can stack the box because they don't fear Mason and  there is no AB then you will be forced to break 2 tackles just to get passed the line of scrimmage. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 


Not sure where you got your "missed tackles" info but PFF has Henry/Carson/AP as having generated the most missed tackles last year.  I don't really think any are all that great. Just because you are big and strong and break tackles sometimes also means you are a big and strong and SLOW and can't avoid tackles (Conner ran a 4.65/40 and is not quick/elusive). If teams can stack the box because they don't fear Mason and  there is no AB then you will be forced to break 2 tackles just to get passed the line of scrimmage. 

 

 

The better stat on PFF is juke rate.  It combines breaking tackles and eluding tackles.  Better measure of how well a RB can make things happen on their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Yeah, but when opportunity is tied to the health of Big Ben or the presence of AB you can get in trouble when those other factors are no longer present. 

You can use that same caveat for literally anyone in the league. It's obviously easier to be more successful when you have other good people around you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

You can use that same caveat for literally anyone in the league. It's obviously easier to be more successful when you have other good people around you. 

 

That's simply not true. 

Guys like Barkley/Bell/CMC/Zeke are uber talented RBs that will be good wherever they go. They don't need elite supporting casts. Guys like Conner/Damian Williams were not drafted in fantasy because of their skill it was because of their situation. Put Conner or Williams on the Bucs and they go 3-4-5 rounds later. That's not the case with Bell/Barkley/CMC/Zeke and even guys like Cook/Fournette/Mixon.

Look at Bell. He's on pace for 1800 yards, 8 TDs and 64 receptions on a team where his QB had mono week 1 and he played with a 3rd string QB off the street for much of week 2. 

Obviously all RBs do better with better teams. That is a given. But it's always dangerous to take guys like Conner/Williams high in drafts when you are relying heavily on the supporting cast for production. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

That's simply not true. 

Guys like Barkley/Bell/CMC/Zeke are uber talented RBs that will be good wherever they go. They don't need elite supporting casts. Guys like Conner/Damian Williams were not drafted in fantasy because of their skill it was because of their situation. Put Conner or Williams on the Bucs and they go 3-4-5 rounds later. That's not the case with Bell/Barkley/CMC/Zeke and even guys like Cook/Fournette/Mixon.

Everyone you just mentioned has exactly what I said: opportunity. Opportunity trumps all and there's 0 competition for carries for any of those guys you mentioned. Conner was going to get that with Ben around, and still is with Rudolph instead. 

 

I realize its popular to pile on Conner right now because of a slow start, but calling him unskilled is a disservice. Pittsburgh knows a thing or two about running backs, and was willing to let one of your more "skilled" guys walk in favor of him, and they proved to be right.

 

They've played New England and Seattle and found tough sledding. The time to buy low on Conner and Juju is now, because from here on out the schedule really softens up. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to trust Conner. Pitt still has a great O-line and Tomlin rarely goes with a committee. The biggest risk is Tomlin reverts to a pass heavy offense like he did late last year, but with Ben out for the year, I don't see the Steelers leaning on Rudolph to carry the offense like they did Ben. I can't imagine that will be a recipe for success.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did he practice today?

Not to be a fear monger, but I did read that Conner has a bone bruise - https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/week-2-fantasy-football-injury-recap/

Is this corroborated anywhere?  Bone bruises are typically multi week injuries.  It sure sounds like he doesn't have one, based on what Conner has been saying, but they might be hiding something.

OTOH, if they were hiding it, how would fantasyfootballers.com know?

Does anybody know the exact diagnosis on Conner?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is he's fine come Sunday, everything is pointing in that direction. The big question is how is the offense gonna look. Another dud and I think you unfortunately have to just admit the guy's gonna be a bust this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...